It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 277
<< 274  275  276    278  279  280 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

I'm just speechless reading how you guys & gals are already being personally affected. My prayers are with you all. Truly.

Our markets has just gone in the negative due to recent news

You're right:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3ad1faeadd02.png[/atsimg]

(DJIA)

Source

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

like RetinoidReceptor pointed out, the volume has been low since this morning and the early downs, then it was recuperating until the recent news coming from NY and Mexico brought it down again.

Let see what the CDC has to say and we can take it from there.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Official confirmation of the cause is just trickling through:

NEW YORK, April 27 (Reuters) - U.S. stocks fell, sending the S&P 500 down more than 1 percent on Monday, as investors fretted about the likely impact of a swine flu outbreak.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Source

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

The biggest issue, how a pandemic if announced by the CDC will bring a stand still on consumer spending in an already trouble economy.

No only in the US but the hardest to be affected will be the emerging nations that do not have a government with plans in place to fight a pandemic.

This will affect the global economy and more the amount of death within this nations populations.

One thing that has come to the attention to the CDC is that this virus is actually attacking more strongly the healthy that is the sick.

Interesting.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Reuters: WHO emergency meeting ends, news conference expected in about 15 minutes...from Twitter.
They are saying they might raise the level to "pandemic" for the first time ever.
I DID try to put in a few buy orders this am for some pharaceutical stocks and couldn't get through...not sure why but when I hit the "buy" button like always,I got a message saying "I'd have to contact the office directly" so I am assuming that the volume was simply too high?
Wasn't meant to be.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
This is really doom and gloom virus. It is actually doing nothing.

How it works: It squats in human cells, doing nothing (a lazy bum virus). Then it's being detected by the armed forces of the organism, they sound the alarm, engage all resources to oust this peaceful virus simply because it isn't registered as a tenant. Every cell of the organism panics and goes wild and in the end it dies of exhaustion.

And, interestingly enough, it has the same effect on the market. Maybe some morals could be extracted from this experience?

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by DangerDeath

Henceforth I shall think of it as "The Lazy Bum Virus",LOLROF!
It doesn't take much of anything lately to send the markets into a tailspin let alone a potentially killer bug!

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Love the way you bring the "virus" issue on

Swine Flu Spreads And Dampens Economic Outlook

Fears that an outbreak of swine flu could become a pandemic brought a new threat to the global economy Monday, just as economic indicators appeared to be bottoming out.

Now the government will have an excuse if the markets starts going belly up from the pandemic, then you can not longer blame it on Obama stimulus but now on the "flu".

The Obama administration said Monday it was too soon to determine the potential economic impact of the swine flu outbreak, but U.S. Treasury officials were looking at the issue.

"The National Economic Council ... is obviously aware of and looking into this notion. There is a working group in the Department of Treasury to deal with this," White House spokesman Robert Gibbs told reporters

As usual we have economic "gurus" already planning for this event.

The estimated cost of a "global pandemic" ?

The World Bank estimated in 2008 that a flu pandemic could cost $3 trillion and result in a nearly 5 percent drop in world gross domestic product.

An outbreak of severe acute respiratory syndrome, or SARS, which disrupted travel, trade and workplaces in 2003, cost the Asia Pacific region an estimated $40 billion. It lasted six months and killed 775 of the 8,000 people it infected in 25 countries.

www.cnbc.com...

Meanwhile people are now forgetting that again the financial are down.

Treasury to borrow over 500 billion dollars for the banks again.

Got to love the fat rats.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I'm sure this will affect markets, and it will probably be announced here after the markets close anyway

WHO raises alert level (from) 3 to 4 in Mexico

The source is a mexican paper, here's the english translation via google translator

The World Health Organization (WHO) declared raise alarm phase epidemiological Mexico it went from 3-4 level, which means strengthening the preventive health measures for the country.

The World Health Organization (WHO) provides six steps for a possible pandemic of swine flu.

Phase 4, the transmission from person to person capable of causing outbreaks at the community level and finds a significant increase in the risk of a pandemic.

Officials from the Ministry of Health reported that in the case of Mexico the activities of prevention and care for the country were taken from the start as if we were in stage four, this means strengthening the preventive measures among the population.

Once notified the Mexican authorities, at a meeting with representatives of WHO, the federal government take action to inform the next few hours in the population.

Original link here

via google translator here

[edit on 4/27/09 by redhatty]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Meanwhile the credit card bubble is about to burst in full force

Consumers Shun Plastic as Credit Industry Losses Mount

The credit-card industry, which is already under fire from the Obama administration, is getting hit with a double-whammy these days: losses are growing even as fewer people use plastic.

In the last six months, record numbers of consumers have stopped paying their credit-card debt. On top of that, many other consumers are cutting back on their credit-card spending. Both trends are leaving banks that issue credit cards with huge losses.

Now more signs of companies that will be at risk of defaults

losses are likely to get worse. Credit-card charge-offs by lenders rose to 8.4 percent in February, a record high according to Fitch Ratings. Those charge-offs are expected to reach 10 percent by this time next year.

Americans in total have some $955 billion in credit card debt. According to Fitch Ratings, delinquency rates for credit card payments rose to 4.33 percent in February, the third consecutive record number. The overall delinquency rate has increased 36 percent in the last six months.

But do not worry, we are now on an epidemic crisis, who cares about the credit card loses, right?

www.cnbc.com...

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Here is another interesting parallel:

www.wired.com...

Entitled "Severe Space Weather Events — Understanding Societal and Economic Impacts," it describes the consequences of solar flares unleashing waves of energy that could disrupt Earth’s magnetic field, overwhelming high-voltage transformers with vast electrical currents and short-circuiting energy grids. Such a catastrophe would cost the United States "$1 trillion to $2 trillion in the first year," concluded the panel, and "full recovery could take 4 to 10 years." That would, of course, be just a fraction of global damages. Good-bye, civilization.

But look! Their estimate of the damage, compared to the one related to the present pandemic - trillion isn't what it used to be. I think it would be far bigger that this estimate.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Interesting that you found that, I wonder if the new "trillion" fad has been the results of the US "trillion dollar wars"

After all our nation was the first to introduce the "trillion dollar budgets".

You are right a trillion is not longer what used to be.

But then again remember Austin powers movies, Why asking for a trillion when you can have billions

I never truly got the meaning of that one.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Night Watchman
Seriously, some of you actually believe EVEN THIS, the swine flu outbreak is part of a govt conspiracy? Really? I know this is a silly question but do we have anything to back up these assertions?

Anything?

You don't have to back up anything when there is almost no doubt about the posted propositions that explain the true origin of events that move the world. The outbrake of the swine flu leads to Madoff and beyond -- far beyond.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Just minutes ago...
Officially announced by the World Health Organization...

The chart is changed to THREAT LEVEL 4.

www.who.int...

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Sooooo....we're all gamblin' people here,LOL!

At what point could this outbreak potentially start affecting the "flow" of financials and biz as usual?

Will they cut off imports/exports?

Not to even mention the costs associated with "being sick" if it continues to spread.

If Level 4 is a "potential but not absolutely guarenteed" pandemic, do we think that it will have to be a higher level before the PTB start taking it more seriously OR will "it" be used as a justification/diversion for other "issues" to start changing things up ahead of the higher Level?

Who will jump the gun first: the virus or the PTB?

The past two months have aged me,I swear...what we need is a nice chart!:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/981c3b866a66.jpg[/atsimg]

From a couple of weeks ago but interesting.

declineandfallofwesterncivilization.blogspot.com...

"The bottom line is that there is a massive wave of actual foreclosures that will hit beginning in April that can’t be stopped without a national moratorium — this wave is so big I would not put it past them trying it."

Methinks some will be hugging this flu-virus before it's all said and done?

[edit on 27-4-2009 by irishchic]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by irishchic

Methinks some will be hugging this flu-virus before it's all said and done?

[edit on 27-4-2009 by irishchic]

Well it will obviously cost the world money and hamper trade which isn't good in this environment. But I think it will blow over within 2 weeks if people aren't dying (nobody died in the U.S. yet). There will be a pull back if there is a flu outbreak or not, it really just depends on how much of a pull back. If the flu is a non factor, then 10% pull back and then buying should insue. If the flu is really a potential pandemic, well, I don't know. I don't think I will be worrying about the stock market or economy...

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by irishchic

The past two months have aged me,I swear...what we need is a nice chart!:

Or a nice quiet healthy place on the planet where money doesn't matter anymore.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   

LAYOFF DAILY
Mon 4-27-2009

Boise, Inc. Newsprinting facility -105
First Student, Inc. -660
Hundreds of coal miners laid off
Rainbow Play Systems -74
Hanes Brands (NYSE:HBR) -500
Lockheed martin (NYSE:LMT) -225
GM Canada will Slash Jobs, Close 395
Dealerships - up to -14,000 jobs may be lost
Franklin-Springboro, OH Public Library -4
Ottawa Valley Railway (Canada) -30
Timken (NYSE:TKR) Announces additional cuts -4,000
Monahan Filaments -54
HSBC lays off 100 bankers in Hong Kong -100
Legg Mason -24
Portfolio Magazine -80
PPG Industries -110
Allegan, MI Educational Service Agency -20
Magna International (Canada) temporary layoffs -725
Industrial employment in Alabama fell 4.5% in 12 months
Lakeside Steel (Canada) -29
General Motors (NYSE:GM) announces cuts, kills Pontiac brand -21,000
Heifer International -68
Vancouver, BC (Canada) School System -80
Sutton Bros. Lumber -12
Exide Corp Update - 567

TOTAL - 43,062 est.. -

...includes other parts of the world. Because - we are certainly all in this together...

and
Swine Flu and The Economy: Disconnect or Tipping Point?
www.oftwominds.com...
Layoffs imminent at First Bank of Idaho after FDIC seizure
www.jhnewsandguide.com...?ref=layoffdaily.com
Russian jobless rate hits 10%, 3.5 million out of work
Recession has forced nearly half of all hospitals to shed staff

[edit on 27-4-2009 by spinkyboo]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Well if we are to follow the pattern that is going on in Mexico we are heading for a full pandemic (meaning half the states of more with flu spreading no necessarily death) by the end of the week.

I personally feel that if this is even spreading already in Europe we that are closes to the source will be hit as hard, but no necessarily as deathly.

Still the cost of a pandemic globally is going to bring whatever advances has been done with the economy to a stand still.

3 Trillion dollars is a lot of money and it will not have anything to do with financial this time.

As for the medical sector they will be gaining as long as they will not become overwhelmed.

I say by the end of the week we either be breathing easier or in full panic mode

[edit on 27-4-2009 by marg6043]

new topics

top topics

<< 274  275  276    278  279  280 >>

join