It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 166
<< 163  164  165    167  168  169 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Largest hedge fund manager:
money.cnn.com...

"A recession is a contraction in real GDP brought on by a central bank tightening monetary policy, usually to control inflation, and ends when the central bank eases. But a D-process occurs when an economy has an unsustainably high debt burden and monetary policy ceases to be effective, usually because interest rates are close to zero, and the central bank has no way to stimulate the economy. To compensate, the value of debt must be written down (risking deflation) or the central bank must print money (a trigger of inflation), or some combination of both."

NOTE: D-Process is a nice word for depression coined by him

He also says stocks will get materially cheaper.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

Agreed. Not that I could really read the markets to begin with, but from what I have learned they aren't acting like they should.

I think people are delusional, they have heard nothing but doom and gloom for the past few months and now some "good" news comes out and they lose all their rationality.

Hope you make some cash.

@Hx3

Everybody is spent out. There have been a few guests on the news talking about how everything has changed. The days of 3 cars in the driveway is over and yada yada yada.

I think people have really learned their lesson this go around. I think people have switched to being frugal and no long spend and consume beyond your needs, and the freaking government thinks that is exactly what we want.

It is like they think we still want to go and take out loans and credit cards and be buried in tons of debt. It really sounds like the people have woken up and the jig is up. After these bailouts people are like time to save and live within our means.

The government just doesn't get it. They are trying to force us to spend money and the only way that is going to happen is if they literally put a gun to each and everyone of our heads and force us to break the bank.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Would this be a good time to buy stocks?
Ride the wave one last time, so to speak?
Set a certain goal and get out when its met?
Just thinkin' out loud here, I'm not a broker.
Am enjoying your posts though!

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by dodadoom
Would this be a good time to buy stocks?
Ride the wave one last time, so to speak?
Set a certain goal and get out when its met?
Just thinkin' out loud here, I'm not a broker.
Am enjoying your posts though!

Maybe...depends if this is a suckers rally or not. Trust me, you do not want to become a bag holder in the end and looking up at your break even price 40% away!

If you truly think this market will go down again. You can start averaging into some short etf's. I will do the highly leveraged ones, but there are much safer ones that are 1x instead of 2x and 3x ones.

NOTE: I said averaging in. Make sure you can average down if prices go down. Do not go all in. Break up the amount you want to invest into at least thirds.

[edit on 24-3-2009 by RetinoidReceptor]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Unemployment could double to 4m, predicts David Blanchflower
www.telegraph.co.uk...

Country faces 'riots' unless public finances are solved, Frank Field warns
www.telegraph.co.uk...

The pace seems to be picking up speed...no?

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

Well, people are waking up to the fact that the system is a sham. It was never going to sustain itself. It is counter-progress in the development of the human race, and even though these same people have difficulty seeing beyond monetary systems they know deep inside that these systems are mortally flawed.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hastobemoretolife
reply to post by redhatty

Agreed. Not that I could really read the markets to begin with, but from what I have learned they aren't acting like they should.

I think people are delusional, they have heard nothing but doom and gloom for the past few months and now some "good" news comes out and they lose all their rationality.

Hope you make some cash.

@Hx3

Everybody is spent out. There have been a few guests on the news talking about how everything has changed. The days of 3 cars in the driveway is over and yada yada yada.

I think people have really learned their lesson this go around. I think people have switched to being frugal and no long spend and consume beyond your needs, and the freaking government thinks that is exactly what we want.

It is like they think we still want to go and take out loans and credit cards and be buried in tons of debt. It really sounds like the people have woken up and the jig is up. After these bailouts people are like time to save and live within our means.

The government just doesn't get it. They are trying to force us to spend money and the only way that is going to happen is if they literally put a gun to each and everyone of our heads and force us to break the bank.

Wishful thinkin brother......
nothin left to say,, look around you hear what people around you talk about in line at the grocery store......etc...

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by dodadoom

You don't want to break into the the tail end of a rally. I would keep a strategy that preserves your purchasing power. Hedging against inflation, and maintaining survival resources are becoming paramount. And as I've been saying BONDS ARE NOT SAFE. It is ridiculous and naive to assume that it will stay safe in any way.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Agreed.

It also seems like with every new company that files chap. 11, the magic word "loan" comes into play. And these are mega multimillion and billion dollar companies.

I think it is really starting to challenge a lot of peoples logic of how these companies can be profitable when they are defaulting on their loans for whatever reason.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by elston

I hear people talking about how they are saving money now and not spending beyond their means. Savings rate has skyrocketed. With every new job report it seems like the jobless percentage is jumping by a half percent every month.

There are some people out there spending needlessly, but the backbone of the country has switched to saving. At least that is what I'm hearing. My buddy is a breadman and his business is actually doing better than it was during the booming economy.

At least that is the word around me and where I live.

[edit on 24-3-2009 by Hastobemoretolife]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hastobemoretolife
reply to post by elston

IMy buddy is a breadman and his business is actually doing better than it was during the booming economy.

And THIS really IS the good news. Some situations will improve -
When the world changes - so does what the world needs.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   
IMF poised to print billions of dollars in 'global quantitative easing'
www.telegraph.co.uk...

World Bank wants fiscal stimulus to be disciplined
www.telegraph.co.uk...

See...this is what I'm talking about...

Who in the hell is control of this run away freight train!!!

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

I wish I could say the same. As I am in Chicago and live 2 blocks from a Target and many other major chain stores I can tell you that most around me are clueless. It seems as though the news makes people turn it off, not that the MSM breaks anything but it is still sad.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Thanks guys! Great tips! I so agree with you.
I wonder how long the dollar can sustain itself.

I have been concentrating on preparing for awhile but
I am just really thankfull more people are waking up to
the fact that we lost our country a long time ago!

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hx3_1963

Who in the hell is control of this run away freight train!!!

Clearly no one.
No Engineer present.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Not trying to be a smart ass here but, I just keep thinking
of Dana Carvey doing church lady:
Could it be........ SATAN????

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   
the market is all over the place bought some faz 17.50 calls late in the day and got waxed some more in the last half hour faz was sniffin 40 10 days ago i was making money last year about this time because i figured out that everybody was lying about their balance sheet then about sept they started telling the truth and then i didnt know what to think and i started losing heavy missed out on todays move because i knew they were going to march that treasury guy out there again you know the guy who has beedy eyes that shift around a lot when hes making up stuff now i know i havent paid my taxes yet and its getting late but atleast ive been thinking about paying them i dont think that the treasury guy is thinking the same thing but im just an aircraft mechanic making 50k about to be laid off 50k was about what he owed in back taxes so did he tell the truth today or start another pack of lies i need to know

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   

I have what some might consider a really stupid idea, why don't they just discipline themselves with what they have already done? How about trying some actual capitalism for once and let the banks fail. Let the market clean itself out.

reply to post by elston

I thought you might be in the city. It really is two different worlds, living in a small town compared to a big city.

[edit on 24-3-2009 by Hastobemoretolife]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   

AIG says "handful" of execs depart controversial unit
www.reuters.com...

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A handful of senior executives working within American International Group Inc's controversial financial products unit have resigned, said a company spokeswoman late on Monday.

The division is at the heart of the financial problems that brought AIG to the brink of bankruptcy last September, saved only by a taxpayer bailout that has now swelled to as much as $180 billion.

The spokeswoman declined to specify the exact number of resignations, noting they were expected to be "manageable," and said there were indications that more will follow.

The resignations come after $165 million in bonuses paid to employees of this AIG division on March 15 ignited fury across America, with taxpayers questioning why they were footing the bill for individual retention bonuses of up to $6.4 million.

Under pressure from Capitol Hill, AIG Chief Executive Edward Liddy last week asked many recipients to return at least half the value of the awards. Many have also been asked to take sharp cuts in compensation for 2009.

On Monday, New York Attorney General Andrew Cuomo said that 15 of the top 20 AIG bonus recipients had returned the awards in full, calculating the value of the awards at about $50 million. He added that he expected as much as half, or about $80 million of total bonuses paid to American employees, to be recovered.

The tax implications for those who returned the bonuses was not clear, said Cuomo.

The U.S. House of Representatives last week voted to reclaim 90 percent of the bonuses already paid to employees of the unit by levying a special tax. A similar measure in the U.S. Senate has yet to be decided.

Workers at AIG Financial Products' Wilton, Connecticut-headquarters have had to deal with ridicule and scorn, dodging picketers outside the workplace, while bus tours past some executive homes. Some have even received death threats, CEO Liddy said last week.

The financial products unit, as of last month, employed about 370 in offices in Connecticut, London, Paris, Hong Kong, Tokyo and India.
We're gonna have to keep an eye on this...

I saw somewhere that if this started happening it might trigger a "cross-default" due to a bunch of deals behind the curtains...

AIG: Failure To Pay Bonuses Would Destroy The World Economy (AIG)
www.businessinsider.com...

The Semtex in the AIG Retention Contracts
emptywheel.firedoglake.com...

[edit on 3/24/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by robatmj12

LOL
Sorry thats one heck of a sentence!
I enjoyed it though! Thanks! hehe

Sorry to hear about your lay off!
I have been wanting to say for awhile if anyone is laid off,
having a tough time, etc I wish you only the best and good luck
and God speed back to good health, peace and happiness.

new topics

top topics

<< 163  164  165    167  168  169 >>

join