It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is your intuition telling you?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   
With all the chaos going on in the markets, the rumors of the possibility of marital law being implemented, the economy teetering on the brink of a recession or depression, (depending on how politically correct you are) what is your gut instinct telling you you should do?

I do not mean only in terms of investments, but it certainly could be that as well. I am most interested in hearing what YOU as an individual are feeling about what you personally should do.

Take your money and hold it in cash?

Pack your things and head for the hills?

Do nothing and wait this out?

There is no wrong answer here. This thread is more about taking the pulse of "we the people." It is not limited to any nation, or "type" of person. I really want to see what everyone is thinking and feeling about this "unease" that has settled over not only the US, but most of the industrialized world.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I plan on spending ALL of my cash on food and essentials
oh yeah...and fuel and ammunition, mind you I only have $1000.oo
feeling ill........

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I've been prepared to evacuate for three weeks now. Basically, being very aware and just waiting.

All we can do is wait. If they do decide to declare a true holiday related to volatility, it is going to be very very bad.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I've been preparing for this for a long time. For years I've been called a tinfoil survivalist by my family and friends. But I'm the one now that has enough food, ammo and other supplies ready. I'll be whom they will come to for aid. And I will give what I can.

My bank account is at minimum. My supplies are at maximum. My firearms are locked and loaded with a fresh coat of oil.

I don't think I'm paranoid. I'm just prepared.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   
What I plan to do is buy plenty of canned goods, stock up on some water, or some water purifying stuff (ie pur water). I dont keep my money in a bank so i'm good there. Keep an eye on the news, and the other on ATS. I find watching the news and reading peoples opinions that I get the most news I can get. Sometimes, like some, I mis-interpret the news or what is being said about this "recession". Its a good mix of news, and interpretations. Though I have noticed everybody is paranoid over whats going on, and its making me wary of this "recession". I learned today my mother lost 9k on her 401K plan...today is a sad day.

I'm gonna bunker down and hope the tornado doesnt hit my house

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
My intuition tells me that idiots have lost their minds and are selling everything. They are doing it either because they are stupid and fearful or just because they have had enough of the stupid lying government...

Either way, I am now holding, not selling anything, buying in on the dips, have plenty of food and water at home for 3 months, not really worried that I will need to use it, but it's there in case and I am going to sit this one out.

As for jobs, if I get let go, well I have enough to go about 10 years, which should be enough, if not, well I do have guns and ammo..

So the deal is, quit freaking out, plan for the worst and then only the best can happen...

link   
My money is staying where it is for now. I bank with Chase- I figure if they go under and/or the FDIC fails to come through on its insurance then the money will be just paper at that point anyway.

I am waiting it out. I do not have the luxury right now of literally heading for the hills. I am stocking up on food and water and living my life and waiting to see what happens next. My last resort would be to move back in with my Mom. Our last resort combined would be to move back east (if we could afford it) but then you run into the fact that you have to be able to heat your home in the winter there.

I am trying to be prepared, but not paralyzed with fear. What will come will come, and we will meet it when it does. (To paraphrase Hagrid in Harry Potter.)

link   
Ive took all my money out of the bank just incase and im only 16 so ive had to convince my parents to prepare and to save up some food for the future.

link   
My personal plan

1. Got rid of as much debt as possible, as soon as possible as part of coming out of this will be an increase in lending rates. They can't stay this low forever
  2. Started buying dry goods, canned goods, bottled water and set up a 'first in' 'first out' stock rotation system.
  3. Keeping several 10 gallon jerricans of fuel stored, again on the same 'first in' 'first out' basis.
  4. building a stash of cash hidden in the house . . . I have a spot in the house where nobody would think of looking and have told nobody where that is
  5. Have a 'bug out' plan and route taking 'off the beaten path' routes out of the urban area in which I live.

For me, the present means hunkering down and living with it but if all hell breaks loose, I've got a bug out plan and enough fuel to get me the heck outta dodge!!

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I'm about the most chill person in the world. I don't panic, I don't freak out - I tend to "steel up" in a crisis and do what I need to do to get through said crisis. The last time I freaked out was on 9/11, when I was living about 10 miles from the Pentagon at the time.

I said all that to lead up to my answer to your question.

I am panicked.
My gut instinct is telling me that things are very, very wrong right now.
I've been fighting the urge to flee to my family 500 miles away for the past three weeks. They have a large plot of land with a big garden already in place. I desperately feel like that is where my husband, my kid and I should be. I'm not doing it because I'm not quite willing to uproot the kid from school at this point, but I'm ready to go.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by anachryon

what you're saying is pretty much exactly how I feel right now. For the past 3 weeks or so, I've had a strong urge to quit my job and head to the hills where my family live. They have a place for me and my husband, they have a huge garden in place, and we have a large family network there.

My husband feels like it's not time yet to make that move, but he also wants to leave before things get too bad. So for now, we're stockpiling food and water...and waiting a bit longer. My gut feeling though is that we shouldn't wait much longer.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I can't run. Got no place to go. We'll stock up on food and water. We've got a 3 month supply of her medications. I would like to stock up on distilled spirits, both for drinking and trade.
I'm feeling really nervous and preoccupied. I had to force myself to turn off the tv. I don't want to watch bu I can't turn away!

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

It seems that from these posts people are very scared. As we should know, fear is no basis to fight from. I am not worried by these events though I do feel concern for people who are.

We are too many at present to be fully consumed by the NWO. We should remember that. Maybe we should all take this opportunity to strengthen ou local community ties and move away from the centre.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I'm British but I live in southern Spain. None of the other Brits here seem to have a clue what's going on and no-one seems to care either.

We have plenty of tins and packets of food because we live inland, from the coastal resort, and have to go there for a lot of our shopping so we tend to stock up anyway. I also have a bit of cash around as it's still the prefered way of paying, where we live.

We paid a cheque in the bank today and it won't clear until Thursday because Monday is a bank/public holiday here. I hope it clears ok and we'll be able to get the cash out.

I don't usually worry too much about life - that's why we moved to a nice rural area of Spain. We wanted a slower pace away from having to keep up with the Jones' but although my children are fluent in Spanish, mine is still very basic so I have no idea what the Spanish are thinking about the global mess. I don't watch much TV, as a rule, but have been watching since all this started which may be why I'm starting to get freaked out - I don't have the usual immunity that most of the people I know seem to have.

My main concern is that my husband is due to fly back to the UK for 2 weeks from 18th October and I'm beginning to feel rather aprehensive about being left here with my children. He thinks I'm over reacting and he'll have no trouble getting a flight back but I can't help but be a little scared about it. Going with him isn't an option but neither is delaying the work he's schedule to do but sometimes, some things are more important than money. Anyone have an opinion about this? What would you do in my position?

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
This can be a real juicy one. My intuition is telling me this. Today is the first of 5-6 significant drops going forward. At a certain point there IS enough money to stabilize and get the market inching ahead daily. The market will stabilize at the total value it really has between 1500 and 3800 points. No one knows for certain.

Everyone involved in the market will lose everything they have. 401k and other retirement accounts etc. Property/housing will be the only hedge for the common person and they need to prepare to make payments for at least three years while the property is worth less than the mortgage value. Anyone who weathers this will be restored and again gain and prosper with the property asset. Anyone who bails will lose everything.

The real question is cultural and political stability during that time and it going to take leaders who are not afraid to say we don't have much to start with but we are moving forward just the same and going to do the best we can with it.

Any Hussiens that say they have a cure and can fix it are liars, but I stand back and leave the floor open from here.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   
PAIN!!!

I've started to withdraw money from my bank accounts; i'm now stocking up on food and bottled water (ie. I found out about a Chinese store that sells huge bags of different rice for cheap and bought a bunch of them); stocked up on .22 and 12 gauge ammo; using one credit card and sparingly; bought a couple of extra propane tanks and a propane heater.

I think we're going to literally be prisoners in our own country and that has nothing to do with McCain's comment the other day.

I also believe that whatever a politician (Dem or Repub) or non-elected gov't official tells the public can be construed as just the opposite, so listen carefully and plan appropriately.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I am feeling very much like many of you.

I want to leave the city and just get out into a more rural area, but am feeling like I just cant right now.

I dont feel terrified, but I do feel a deep concern, and nothing feels "right" right now.

I feel the need to be prepared, but totally uncertain what to be prepared for, or even how to really prepare other than the things everyone seems to be doing, keeping cash on hand, extra supplies and ready to move fast if I have to. Concern for older neighbors, friends and logistics, etc., are keeping me from moving away from the city at the moment, but thats what I WANT to do more than anything.

I am really glad you guys posted. It is nice to see I am not even close to being alone in how I am feeling.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I have prepared for a long time and feel I am ready for a long siege.

Have enough food, water and firewood to last through the winter. Spring comes early here in the south and have seeds I can start inside the garage in February.

I'm buying all the gold I can find from independent dealers and pawn shops. It's getting harder to find.

I'm a gun collector. So, I'm in good shape there.

My gut tells me to be prepared. I'm finding it hard to call the outcome of our present situation.

I fear not for myself but for those that are loosing their homes or jobs.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I live in the UK so am not in the eye of the storm as much as you guys in America, but I realize that if America goes down, so will the rest of the world. I've been keeping track of events for a few weeks and like to consider myself prepared as opposed to scared (but then we are not facing martial law, camps and terrorist threats over here ...). When I woke today and saw some of the top-flagged threads I felt like I was being mentally punched in the head and began to really feel how serious all this is, and how worse it "could" get. So, both myself and partner feel it's time to start stocking some supplies, "just in case" , especially in light of any food shortages due to delivery failures as a result of companies not being able to secure bank credit for their businesses....

The way I see it, I am "shopping in advance", mostly buying goods we regularly use/eat anyhow. I will use it as the weeks go by and keep an inventory so I know what to replenish each week. Will also be filling up some petrol cannisters, buying some clothes for my son he can grow into incase of things getting really crazy and shops closing left right and centre.

Am also going to be taking my money out of the bank each week instead of leaving it in there ...I work s/e but have to bank cheques, normally I leave most of my earnings in there but will only be leaving in enough to cover direct debits for car insurance and the like from now on. All my savings are in NSI premium bonds so are safe already.

It also occured to me to print off alot of what I've researched ...if the net went down for any reason I'd want back ups of all the information I'd uncovered to show to confused family and friends in an effort to explain why it's all happened .

So, come next week alot of shopping will be getting done. Already got some other stuff from when we had panic over te avian flu threat a year and half ago or so....it never happened in the end but i still don't rule it out. So we have wind up radios and torches, masks, bio suits , camp stove, masses of candles, spare batteries, etc . I nearly flogged the avian flu stuff on ebay before finding ATS, now I realize this is just the kind of thing that could be deliberately set off in an effort to depopulate the world. I'm not paranoid, I just don't trust anymore and it's better to have wasted a few hundred quid which MAY prove to have been a wise call than to die for not acting one one's "what if" scenario.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Hi,

Here in England most people are one pay cheque away from bankrupt.. So there is no reserves to draw upon.

If nothing were to happen, most people here will end up in severe poverty when it comes to retirement.. Which is unlikely to happen before you are 70+

My gut feeling is that no place will be safe when the real war hits. Rich or poor, well supplied or not.

The only places that will be safe is ultra secret elitist bases hidden a few hundred meters underground.

War is coming and you will either be too young or too old or too invalid or you will be Drafted...

The alternative, Join the Liberation Army and the Revolution!!

Power to the People,

NeoN HaZe

[edit on 10-10-2008 by Neon Haze]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join