It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just the facts, iReporters plead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   
From www.cnn.com...

Just the facts, iReporters plead

(CNN) -- Amid all the partisan cross talk on iReport.com, one plea that keeps coming through is for presidential candidates John McCain and Barack Obama to stop attacking each other and directly address the issues.

"I would like to hear the candidates speak about real issues and stick to the facts rather than see the 'gloves come off,' " wrote iReporter Sherry Simon of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

A fellow iReporter in New Jersey echoed that sentiment.

"I know what I would like to see is more talk about the issues and ... their plans for what they're going to do about some of the issues that are affecting us today -- especially with the economy, the energy problems ... " said Felix VanValen of Willingboro, New Jersey. "I would like to see both candidates really step up to the plate, keep it clean, focus truly on the issues, versus trying to stray away from that."

An Alaskan iReporter sought to clarify the format for the candidates:

"It's like they don't know what a debate is," said Mabel Ramsay of Mendeltna, Alaska. "No, this isn't a campaign speech. You answer questions and you earn points if you get everything right."

Sgt. 1st Class Allen Roy Bethea of North Tonawanda, New York, who recently retired after 21 years in the Army, suggests a grammar-school approach:

"Compare and contrasting is a concept that we learned in school," wrote Bethea, who served overseas in the first Gulf War and later at NATO headquarters. "Compare and contrast your policies. Tell us your position, why it is better and then let us think it over.

"Do not distract me with useless information that keeps me off the issues," Bethea continued. "This is a major job interview being conducted by the voters, and we want the facts. Answer all questions!"

Another iReporter wanted to remind the candidates that their debate is not a game show.

"It's time to get down to business and be professionals about this," wrote Ed Flanagan of Cleveland, Ohio. "This is supposed to be the presidential debates, not 'Truth or Consequences.' "
advertisement

Flanagan wants the candidates to act like grown-ups.

"The American people are sick and tired of all the childish games being played here by both parties and the media," he wrote on iReport.com. "We the people want to hear the real, hard facts of what McCain & Obama have to say about foreign policy. And stay on the subject without slamming each other."

Looks like more people are finally waking up to the fact that political mud-slinging is going nowhere fast and people are fed up with it. I'm overjoyed to see something like this hit the news.

(PS - Some of you may ask "Why is an Aussie worried about the US elections? It has nothing to do with them!". My answer is that because of the US's far reaching power in many fields including economics and politics, what happens in Washington in many cases affects the entire world.)

Edited for typo's.

[edit on 7/10/2008 by Kryties]

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Excellent thread and a great reminder that the internet is increasing the voice of the average American. We are all learning things from people we would never have met and one of them is that we are tired of being talked down to and distracted with reality show esque tactics.

Good Thread, Kryties...

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Seconded!

The mainstream-media concept of a 'debate' is a travesty.

While I do not believe that an election should be entirely about 'issues' -- character is important in a representative democracy -- my judgment of character is largely based on my perceptions of integrity, intellectual honesty, and an open-minded desire for reasonable consensus, free from ulterior agenda.

The current 'debate' and campaigning system leaves me with no respect for the choices the American Public is being offered.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I honestly would have thought more people would have replied to this. Not for my benefit, but at the very least to show others that they too are sick of the mud-slinging and childish tactics that seem to plague politics like a cancer.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Hmm, maybe issues aren't important at all, except as a whipping-post.

Maybe people just like to complain, and whinging that 'the issues' aren't addressed is one way to do so.

When the issues are addressed, people don't react. They don't find such discussion interesting or engaging.

They'd rather have smears, vitriol, and emotionally-loaded mudslinging. Their circuses.

Look at how all the 'Candidate X on the Issues: Y' threads have been massive fails. No one really cares?

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
IT'S THE ISSUES STUPID!!!!

man, i can't see that happening, they didn't get where they are today by concentratiing on the issues

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
i live in TN where the debates was held last night and i heard it said on the talk radio in my area that it costed 3 million $$ to have it. why don't they have it in the open where anybody can ask thought provoking question in stead of im the moderator and i get to pick what is asked. another thing is where is the other canadates that are running for office i would like to hear there views to the public need to know that there is more canadates out there then these two nuckle heads. back to blackout the other canadates. just as they did with RON PAUL.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Sham Debates

Senator Lindsay Graham of the McCain campaign and Representative Rahm Emanuel of the Obama campaign have negotiated a detailed contract that dictates the terms of the 2008 presidential debates, including who can participate and the structure of the formats. The Commission on Presidential Debates has agreed to implement the debate contract.

Yet, in order to shield the major party candidates from criticism, the Commission on Presidential Debates has refused to release the debate contract to the public.
[1]

Some details have leaked on the contents of the 'Memorandum of Understanding', which governs the 'debates':

• The MOU runs 31 pages.
  • It governs "everything from how the candidates are addressed to the permissible camera shots."
  • Gallup is in charge of making sure "the questioners reflect the demographic makeup of the nation."
  • "Brokaw selects the questions to ask from written queries submitted prior to the debate."
  • "An audience member will not be allowed to switch questions."
  • "The moderator may not ask followups or make comments."
  • The camera will show only the question asked, not the reaction of the questioner.
  • "While there will be director's chairs (with backs and foot rests), McCain and Obama will be allowed to stand -- but they can't roam past their 'designated area' to be marked on the stage."
  • "McCain and Obama are not supposed to ask each other direct questions.
    [2]

• The person who asks the question will not be allowed a follow-up either, and his or her microphone will be turned off after the question is read.
    [3]

Disgusting! How is it a 'town hall meeting' when the audience can only ask pre-selected scripted questions, with no follow-up, and the camera aren't even allowed to show their reactions?

[edit on 8-10-2008 by Ian McLean]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:14 PM
    link   
    I think the Elections should run like American Idol...could be a year long season running up to the final night...

would make more sense and its just a big show anyways, so might as well

new topics

top topics

join