It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Braneworlds, Mini Black Holes and the LHC

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I think the LHC should be shut down until information is returned from the Fermi Gamma-ray Space Telescope.

Charles R. Keeton of Rutgers and Arlie O. Petters have said a way to test Randall-Sundrum braneworld is by testing the effects that braneworld black holes would have on electromagnetic radiation.

In other words we would live in 5 dimensions. Four dimensions of space and one dimension of time. We would be a membrane embedded in higher dimensional space.

So these branworld black holes would have been created near the beginning of the universe and they would not evaporate like Hawking Radiation predicts.

So the LHC would be producing black holes all around earth if Hawking radiation is not correct.

Gamma-ray Large Area Space Telescope launched 6-11-2008.

en.wikipedia.org...

More information on Randall-Sundrum:
www.sciencedaily.com...

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 01:54 AM
link   
I agree with you but I know they won't wait best chance is the machine suffering a failure again. Although that may be a bad thing as well as last I heard they plan to start at 7 Tev now to make up for lost time.

I'd rather they ramped things up slowly but they seem to eager to get it up to full power as soon as possible and with the possibility of a black hole a second that concerns me.

I don't buy the whole cosmic rays are the same propaganda they keep using as it only takes one mbh being slower than escape velocity to mess up everything and I don't like the fact they are relying on Hawking Radiation existing either.

If the extra dimension exists and hawking radiation doesn't there are going to be pumping out an awful lot of mini black holes and even if they all do escape earth there is still the sun to worry about.

It's quite possible it won't make any of course but the gamble I just can't get my head round it even without black holes it's full of unknowns and surely not something we should just dive into.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Teknikal

Excellent points.

This is very troubling if you ask me because the LHC would create black holes that would embed themselves into this 4th dimension of space instead of evaporate.

So if we live in 3 dimensions of space and one dimension of time these black holes will evaporate. If we live in 4 dimensions of space and one dimension of time then these black holes will not evaporate and the end of the world will be upon us because we don't have the technology to control what we would have started.

So, earth is in the balance based on Hawking Radiation that hasn't been tested. This is crazy to me.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Just wondering how this relates to non-man made black holes?
Fact is we don't even know if they really exist so maybe the collider can't make them.
On the other hand if they do indeed exist, surely they will be too small to gobble up any matter to pose any risk.

I just don't get how smashing sub atomic particles is going to produce anything dangerous considering the earth is constantly being bombarded with such particles. The only real difference is, these collisions will occur in a confined space so scientists can observe what happens. Am I missing something?

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Hawking's track record isn't that good. In Revelations, the end of days does call for a "lake of fire". I don't see the Gravity for black holes.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 04:24 AM
link   
I wonder how many folks freaked when the other colliders were made.
Yes, this is a larger scale, now get over it, this same reaction they hoping to moniter occurs naturally around Earth all the time.
The idea is to be able tto study it, hopefully to better understand it.

top topics

join