It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A problem I have with God No. 1-Omnipotence

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 08:01 AM
link   
This is gonna b a big post

Omnipotence. OK, so God is all-powerful. So why then did it take 6 DAYS to create the Heavens and the Earth? Couldn�t he have just blinked it into existence? It seems to me that there wouldn�t really be any reason to beat around the bush on something like this. I would think that if God wanted something to happen he would just
make it happen. Was he pretending NOT to be all-powerful just for 6 days to entertain Himself?

Its simbolistic of our week, herested on the 7th day, so should we, he made the earth in 6 days to show us how we should work.

Thats an interesting thought, Deltachaos. Why did it take six days, and then why did God 'rest' on the seventh (the sabbath) ?

an example for us

God not knowing what happened when Cain killed Able. He had to ask where is brother was? Didn't he already know?

He knew, in his dealings with men he often asks questions. peole go to confession, before they go does God know of the sin, of course he does!!! it is admiting that we are wrong and God is right, thats why he asks so we have opertunity for us to do that. God knew they would hide and where since before the begining of time

Thank you, Pisky. That was my next point. For what would One who was all-powerful need 'rest'? What, so does that mean he took an 'all-power nap'?

He doesnt, yet he rests anyway. we need rest

God is omnipotent. Yet, there is evil. If god is omnipotent, he should destroy all evil, aff? Therefore, if he does not, he is one of two things: 1. Not omnipotent 2. Not benevolent.

He will destroy all evil (revalation). He allows evil to existfor an amount of time to usei for good, one day it will be destroyed. The bible gives us a story. A farmer plants wheat in a field, weeds come up, the farmer lets both grow together for to cut down the weeds would also harm the wheat because he would pull up both in some cases. God allows evil and good to grow together untill the time of harvest when good wil be taken and the evil will be thrown in to the furnace. If he destroyed all evil 3 years ago I would be dead. I still do loads of evil things but I am now forgiven, dead to y old self and alive in christ, I still struggle but God helps. God turns bad in to good, and when it is compleate he will destroy evil. He is all powerfull so he can destroy evil now but he uses wrong for Good.

Since God is infinite, God is everything. Therefore, evil and good are both derived from within God. To destroy evil, or what we perceive to be evil, would mean God would have to destroy a part of It's infinite self.

God is not evil, he gives the capicity for evil but did not create it. He allwed it to come bout so he could use it for good.

You could ask why did he create us. He is good, but if there is nothing to compare good to then how do you know, because of all he has made we can see how good and all powerfull, all loving and perfect he really is.

[Edited on 28-3-2004 by Adrianay]

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 11:06 AM
link   

God is not evil, he gives the capicity for evil but did not create it. He allwed it to come bout so he could use it for good.

[Edited on 28-3-2004 by Adrianay]

God says himself.......... he created evil.

ISAIAH
45:5
I am the LORD, and there is none else, there is no God beside me: I girded thee, though thou hast not known me:

45:6
That they may know from the rising of the sun, and from the west, that there is none beside me. I am the LORD, and there is none else.

45:7
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeltaChaos
Omnipotence. OK, so God is all-powerful. So why then did it take 6 DAYS to create the Heavens and the Earth? Couldn�t he have just blinked it into existence? It seems to me that there wouldn�t really be any reason to beat around the bush on something like this. I would think that if God wanted something to happen he would just make it happen. Was he pretending NOT to be all-powerful just for 6 days to entertain Himself?

Or could it be that God is not, in fact, all-powerful?

DeltaChaos

A parent teaches his children by example. Maybe that was God�s intention as well. Working 6 days of the week and resting on the 7th. That would also give us the framework to record history by giving us so many days in a week. If we had no structure to the days we lived it would just be day, after day, after day, after day. Having this structure allows someone to say �20 weeks ago ���..�.

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
A parent teaches his children by example. Maybe that was God�s intention as well. Working 6 days of the week and resting on the 7th. That would also give us the framework to record history by giving us so many days in a week. If we had no structure to the days we lived it would just be day, after day, after day, after day. Having this structure allows someone to say �20 weeks ago ���..�.

Thank you, sir! Since this truth has come to light, it is now time for a post regarding the purpose of God and the afterlife.

Your wisdom is a rare gift. Use it well.

DeltaChaos

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reincarnation is real....now think for yourself and u can answer your own questions...each life u live is so that u can gather knowledge and be perfected by Him when u are perfect u will not need to reincarnate. some get stuck in he physical realm because they still believe they are alive and have unresolved issues(ghosts, evil spirits) others even after ascending choose to come back to aid mankind. If u have a conscience listen to it your conscience is always right it and the spirit are entwined and it is used to aid the flesh into following the or acting in harmony with the spirit.(your conscience is always right. guess why) denying your conscience is denying Him and it leads to bitterness disconnect from the holy spirit who might me christ in his return called by many the "christ conciuosness" if u can't hear the voice of your conscience u re to be pitied as HE pities the aethists and does not condemn them, many are some of the most intelligent of persons...may we all ascend.

He may be leading by example by creating the earth in 6 days and resting on the 7th(sounds alot like what he told us to do huh? work on the first 6 days but rest on the seventh(sabbath))

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 06:45 PM
link   

I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Your going to have to remember that the bible is metaphorical and by saying he creates evil may not mean that he deliberately went and created evil. It may mean that he created us to choose how we want to live and by allowing us to forge our own destiny, evil was created. I don't see why a god who's sole message is peace and love would create evil purposely unless of course that is the name of the game - deception.

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by thedarkprojekt

You misquoted the verse.

Isaiah 45:7

I form the light and create darkness, I bring prosperity and create disaster; I, the LORD , do all these things.

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 06:54 PM
link   

You misquoted the verse.

I form the light and create darkness, I bring prosperity and create disaster; I, the LORD , do all these things.

Not I, and this is a perfect example of how the bible could very easily have gotten skewed

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 06:58 PM
link   
You just had the quote marks without the poster. I thought you were quoting the bible not another member. My mistake.

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 06:59 PM
link   

You just had the quote marks without the poster. I thought you were quoting the bible not another member. My mistake.

Not that was mine, thanks for pointing that out thought

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeltaChaos
There are just a few things that really lead me to believe that the God to which we most commonly refer is actually a fraud perpetrated by ancient social engineers and mind-manipulators for the purpose of control of the masses through fear, sensationalism, and superstition.

Omnipotence. OK, so God is all-powerful. So why then did it take 6 DAYS to create the Heavens and the Earth? Couldn�t he have just blinked it into existence? It seems to me that there wouldn�t really be any reason to beat around the bush on something like this. I would think that if God wanted something to happen he would just make it happen. Was he pretending NOT to be all-powerful just for 6 days to entertain Himself?

Or could it be that God is not, in fact, all-powerful?

DeltaChaos

Well he wants his rest and it wares him down, and plus he had to calculate everything. How the Earth will go around the Sun, what formations the Earth will have the histroy Earth will have, and if there was life on Mars also Mars. He had to create a soul for every human that ever lived. He had to create the metals and minerals on Earth, he had to create the other animals and treese on Earth......... its a big job that God cant just do in one second even though hes the most powerful superior man ever and has lived forever it still wares him down he looses a lot of energy (just my idea. Personally i belive in God because i have seen him 3 times (dont ask) and 3 is my favirote number
lol) so God does exist.

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeusEx
Here, I have a different conundrum for you all...

God is omnipotent. Yet, there is evil.

If god is omnipotent, he should destroy all evil, aff?

Therefore, if he does not, he is one of two things:

1. Not omnipotent

or

2. Not benevolent.

DE

It is possible, tht as you go through life you still have choice?

Just a thought. And prob'ly not a very deep one.

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeusEx
Here, I have a different conundrum for you all...

God is omnipotent. Yet, there is evil.

If god is omnipotent, he should destroy all evil, aff?

Therefore, if he does not, he is one of two things:

1. Not omnipotent

or

2. Not benevolent.

DE

or 3. Since God is infinite, God is everything. Therefore, evil and good are both derived from within God. To destroy evil, or what we perceive to be evil, would mean God would have to destroy a part of It's infinite self.

Omnipotence, omniscience, and omnipresence are all just defining characteristics of an infinite consciousness.

My theory on God is on the following thread:
www.belowtopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 02:12 AM
link   
I have a problem with the idea that god is omnicient. Why would god bother creating man and giving him a choice between good and evil? He'd already know how it was going to turn out.

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 01:45 PM
link   

You misquoted the verse.

That all depends on which version you are reading! Its worded differently. This is from the King James version.

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by favouriteslave

You misquoted the verse.

That all depends on which version you are reading! Its worded differently. This is from the King James version.

Thanks, you are correct. I did a search for the text in the KJV and it's exactly as you stated. I personally use the NIV version and it is different. I would like to know what version is more accurate in it's translation.

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 02:15 PM
link   
favouriteslave,

I've stated this before but evil can be a good thing.

Evil and the desperate lives that it leaves in its wake is probably the number one reason people search out God. Evil can actually lead people to the Lord. Since god created good and evil, he probably knew that it would.

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by favouriteslave
There are so many problems with god being all powerful

for example:

God not knowing what happened when Cain killed Able. He had to ask where is brother was? Didn't he already know?

God having to be told about the incident in the Garden by an angel. Then when he arrived they were hiding and he didn't know where they were?

Something I find very weird and most X-ians give me the same stupid answer for this.

When reading the Old T it appears that God, Jehova, Yahweh are very physically involved in the general population. He speaks to them, kills people, command others to kill, fights etc................ So what happened to him.......... he seems to have fallen off the face of the earth in the New T. X-ians like to say its because he wasn't needed after JC came. Thats so lame considering they preached a different means of salvations and JC was for the most part calm, not muderous with a few exceptions.

Anyone have any takes on this.

By the way for ease of use try
www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/index.html

Lists many absurdities, violence and stuff most people don't know is in there. Very easy to read and navigate.

I love amateurs

God asked Cain where his brother Abel was, not because God forgot to put his contact lenses in that day and couldn't see Abel, hah no. He was trying to get Cain to ADMIT what he'd done - Where IS Abel, Cain? Do you not ask a child sometimes, "Didyou do this?" when you know the child did? You want to see if the child lies, right?

God also asked where Adam and Eve were 'hiding' after they ate of the forbidden tree of knowledge, right? Why would God ask "Hey Adam.. Eve.. where ya at?" No, he was trying to get them to show themselves and take responsibility for what they'd done. It's like saying 'hey, fess up now'

Now, some subjects, especially 'religious' ones, shouldnt' be yammered about incoherently unless someone knows what they are talking about and how to explain certain things. Just as asking why did it take God 6 days to make the heavens and the earth, right? Good queston - but the answer is very long, part of it being scientific (yes we can use most of man's atheist science to prove the bible today!)

Here's a question to the question of "Why did it take God 6 days" - ok, why do evolutionists believe they came from slime on a rock, 4.6 billion years ago? Most 'christians' don't have answers, nor any scientific knowledge, at all. They go on blind faith, sure. Faith that is sometimes too blind - I must have proof. Christians aren't supposed to 'doubt' God, but many do and many non-christians do - but asking questions is how we learn, right? You'd be amazed... there is a lot of science in the bible
Many things in the bible were just 'mysteries' touted as lies by atheists... until man's science caught up with the biblical account. Today's science is great - we can do and make a lot of 'neat' stuff, right? We can also use this modern science, to help figure out the bible as well.

I wish I could answer the "made in 6 days" question, hah, but I'd be typing here a long time. There is no one-sentence answer for some questions, and while I know 'bible verses' - spitting them out to those who've never read the bible nor even believe in it? Is futile.

Like a 4 year old once asked me "why is the sky blue all the time" - I could have confused the kid with the answer, scientifically - or just simply said "because it is" haha. And I told him "because it is... ask me the same question when you're about 12."

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 03:37 PM
link   
God is in the world not of the world

god is also outside the phenoumenal world
while we are stuck in the phenoumenal he is in the noumena.

This world is phantasmagoric and all a play of light and shadow..albeit a serious play....god created evil that we may know the darkness from the light....

the trick is to get out of this phenoumenal world and break the cycle of life and death....
one day we will all see this world of light and shadow being played out on the back drop of time and space as nothing more than a picture show for our entertainment....
The infinite creator is waiting to see if you prefer the things of this world over him/her/it....
the infinite creator has all the time it will need to see this to fruition,the question is how much of your time will you spend in pusuit of worldly things before you seek that which is always thinking of you

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   
If you read the Bible, you will realize that the answer is given in Exodus 20. The 6 days are specially made for man. God could have created the Universe instantly, but set up the days for man, including the 7th day for humanity to rest. Medical science has concluded in several articles the need to rest. The recent time change alludes to man's attempts to adjust the seasons for his needs. The times and seasons were created for man's benefit.
True Science recognizes Intelligent Design. It is also interesting to note in Anthropological circles the mentioning of the week in several mythological creation stories. I've found from hundreds of debates, that those that argue loudest for Nontheistic evolution generally fall into two groups. One, money talks. Imagine how much money is spent by the government on research grants for evolutionary science.
Two, philosophically the atheist refuses to believe in God because it would require a moral change in their behavior. They are happy doing what they want, and don't want to feel guilty.
After years of studying the major religions and their religous books, I came to the logical conclusion that the Bible did come from God. No other book comes close.
It is historically sound, and full of pre-scientific data, that ancient man wouldn't have known without outside help. The prophesies are grounded in historical fact, which no other book can attest to. The closest that anyone can come to correctly fulfilling prophesy is the often debated Nostradamus, and even he can't beat the Bible in mentioning the names of individuals before they were even born. It has been calculated that the odds of Christ randomly fulfilling the 300+ prophesies, much of whom involved individuals antagonistic to Christ, go way beyond 10 followed by over 100 zeroes.
All of this argues for the Omnipotence and Omniscience of God

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join