It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bred to be stupid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Yesterday morning I was listening to the New Jersey radio station 101.5. They were talking about education, the education systems, and schools. A guy called into the station and said some thing to the effect of this.......

His kid, who was in the 11th grade, was having trouble in school and he met with a state representative and someone from the school administration. His concern was that his kid was having trouble in a few areas. One of them was reading. He was told by the state rep. and school admin. that the kid was going to pass and graduate. The father and mother had a problem with this since the kid was having so much trouble. The admin. and rep. told him that it is alright. The kid has a 6th grade reading level and that is all he needs to graduate from high school. (WTF!!!!!!)

This totally flipped the parents out!!! The parents DEMANDED that the school does their job and teach the kid. Their demand was DECILNED. Their excuse was...... Well newspapers are written at a 6th grade level for the most part. He'll be fine if he graduates. (WTF!!!!!!)

The parents lost their s##t!!!! The parents DEMANDED that the kid be held back, helped out, and brought up to speed. Their demands were DECLINED. (WTF!!!!!)

As for the admin's. and rep's. pathetic excuse as to why not???!!! It was simply this...... "Well, if we hold him back he will loose self esteem." (WTF!!!!!!!)

The parents forced themselves to leave before they beat the ever living hell out of the rep. and admin!!!

When I heard all of this I practically puked in my mouth!!!! This is absolutely disgusting beyond imagination to most people. When I was in school I had huge problems with the entire school. I had to move from Massachusetts to New Jersey and go to high school there. I had my own meeting with a school admin. I was told that I could graduate HS immediately with out having to attend at all. But, shortly after that they changed their minds. They gave me an IQ test. After it was all over and processed I wanted to see my results. I was forcefully DECLINED. I put up quite a fight but lost. I was then put into remedial classes. After a while of that crap I got so fed up I stole my own records and saw my IQ. I'm not going to say what it was but I'll say this. My IQ was so high that it was deemed a mistake. "No one is capable of having such a high IQ." Was written on my records. The classes I was put in Jersey? Ya... Pre-algebra, basic Earth science, and the equivalent of 3rd grade reading/English! Back in Massachusetts I left off at Trig, Calculus, advanced physics, and 8th grade equivalent reading/English. On my own I was researching Astrophysics, Cosmology, Quantum Physics, and Temporal Mechanics. I had to FIGHT BIGTIME to get myself into Geometry and Chemistry. These are two things I already surpassed 4 years ago. In 10th grade I was put into Chemistry again. I got PISSED and stole 3 other science textbooks. I went through 4 years of classes in 1 year. The teacher wanted to and tried to fail me for the year because of it! His deal was if I was tested and scored perfectly on all 4 classes that I stole then he would pass me. If not I failed for the years. I CRUSHED his trap and scored perfectly of all 4 classes of stolen textbooks. BOY WAS HE PISSED!

My whole point is this:

I'm quite certain all of you had to go through similar crap as I did. You were massively screwed over by the school system in one way or another.

My questions are:

Why is it that every state has its own quality of schooling and education?
Shouldn't the quality be universal?
Why is it that their are countries that we consider as 3rd world countries that absolutely destroy us in the education department?

I would love to hear what government people and educators would have to say about this!! I want to hear their PATHETIC excuses!!!!

~Valkyr~

[edit on 19-9-2008 by Valkyr8]

[edit on 19-9-2008 by Valkyr8]

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 06:50 AM
link   
It's a bit ironic that your thread 'Bred to be stupid' starts with you admitting the fact that you can't spell, but then goes on to say how your IQ is so high that 'No one is capable of having such a high score'.

I'm just saying, that's all.

[edit on 19-9-2008 by Thebudweiserstuntman]

[edit on 19-9-2008 by Thebudweiserstuntman]

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 06:55 AM
link   
What you have told is fact and it is the truth, though I didnt have any experiences like you had, this might be partly attributed to the age, the teachers are reluctant to let you graduate out of high school without attending classes because, though you would have been able to manage them, they would have their own doubts whether you could manage the university studies withour being sure that you know the basic concepts taught in high school well.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 07:02 AM
link   
WHY THEY WANT US "STUPID":

Your materiality scores is used to help Company's assess your ability to materialize their profits.

Basically they don't need us to read to have them profit of us.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Well the public school system has to take EVERYONE, and there are a fair amount of people in this country that have iq's in the mid 80's. If they can learn to read at a 6 grade level that is pretty good and they are not likely to do much better.

Sadly most of those individuals will NOT learn to read at that level, but the fact is the schools have to take everyone and no amount of remedial lessons will make a difference in some cases.

I also wonder why the parents did not mention how THEY PERSONALLY were trying to help their child. Is it all the states responsibility? One would think the parents would be doing more than just complaining that others are not putting enough energy into their kid.

[edit on 19-9-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Valkyr8

If and when you learn to use grammar properly and do me the courtesy of utilizing it, I shall return the favour by reading your inane rant.

So the kid is dumb enough to be 5 years behind schedule, and the state doesnt want to bear the cost of bringing him up to his own level (if that is even possible). What is the issue here? Do you expect children to graduate according to their age and a minimum target, or are you touting a system where children graduate based on their reading age and ability?

I must say if it were the latter, some kids would never finish school while others would leave for university at age 14.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Well let's see
Government couldn't run Fanny Mae and Freddy Mac. Government and all it's red tape did a horrible job with Hurricane Katrina. Government can't handle the Social Security finance. The Government's war on poverty is a joke, especially when all the money is in Washington D.C. Name me one politician who is living in " poverty "? There's so many program's that failed due to Government involvement so what makes anyone think they can do a good job at anything.
Government education is a failure and will never recover until the schools are given back to the people and the States. Being bred stupid is the ignorants of the American people putting their trust and their children in the hands of the government.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 07:23 AM
link   
That is why they are call "public schools" they are for all and supported by local taxes.

If the parents of the high school student with a level of 6th grade reading really wanted to help their child, they should hired a tutor to help their child with the subjects he is lacking.

Plain and simple.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   
One would think that a stupid population is more dangerous than a smart one, but then again im no politician, so i may miss something here.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
As an educator, parents and teachers together should help the students achieve their high expectations. But sometimes when you are dealing with about 150 kids in your classes, its going to be a bit harder (which is an understatement). Many kids dropped out of AP classes because it was too hard for them or they are looking for the easy way out to get pass high school.

When I was in college we had about 80 students in class. 1 month later only about 40 was left. Many of them quit because of many reasons. But I can tell that many are not interested in continuing education because they want to play games. They sit in the back of the room with their laptops and play games in class. Me I love games, but when I'm in class its just me, pen, and a notebook. Games are when I get home.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
When I went to school, I started out in public school.

I aced every course, came out on top of the class every time, and never had to study anything because I had read so much that it was, frankly, truly kids stuff.

But then, I changed to a Catholic school, and boy, was I in for a wake-up call.. I still went to school with the same attitude but what they where seeing was like light-years ahead of the stuff I used to see in public school.

In the 6th year of public schooling they where still going on about the basic math and simple equations, in the 1st year of high school Catholic network they where studying advanced algorhytmics, so they must have had a basis upon which to expand into this area.. just as an indicator, this was true for every class I took.. except for the religious hour..

I flunked that year, bigtime, and had to 'learn to learn' all over again.

Public schools don't give anything besides the illusion you are being educated, if you want your kids to have real education, avoid them like the plague! Offcourse, for many people this is not exactly self-evident, as the Catholic schooling network was, and propably still is, a lot more expensive to follow then the public ones..

so I agree with the premise that public schools are designed to dumb down the populace, while only the ones who have parents wealthy enough to kick up the bread are allowed entrance in the 'inner circle of knowledge'.

Money truly makes the world go round, neh ?

[edit on 19-9-2008 by Phatcat]

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Corporations and Government want you smart enough to run the machines, but stupid enough not to realize how badly your getting screwed by the system.

top topics

join