It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are they even in Washington?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, when asked Tuesday whether Democrats bear some of the responsibility regarding the current crisis on Wall Street, had a one-word answer: “No.”
*snip*
When asked whether the Democrats “deserve some responsibility” regarding the economic crisis, Pelosi responded: “No.”

thehill.com...

This isn't intended to be a bait, it could just as easily be a quote from a prominant Republican. The song & dance seems to be the same regardless the party affiliation these days. The song is "Point the Finger" and the dance is "Pass the Buck."

That said, it is also worth pointing out to Mizz Pelosi that her party that supposedly bears no responsibillity for the current economic situation in the country has also been the party holding the reins of the nation the past 2 years. I don't doubt that they bear little responsibillity for what's happening, but they also deserve no credit as they've done absolutely NOTHING to alleviate its effects or stop it from continuing. So why are they there? Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way! So far all they're apparently doing is a good imitation of George Carlin's old joke "I don't do any of the three, I prefer a forth option: Obstruct!"

The vast majority of Washington doesn't bear any responsibillity for actions taken... only the responsibillity of standing around with their thumbs up their butt watching as it all goes down without doing a damn thing one way or the other. This goes way beyond the economy, too. It includes Iraq: Vocally, many support Iraq, many carry the "Bring home the troops" banner... actions speak louder than words, however. How many of our "representatives" have taken strong action to support their stance? Does our millitary have top notch funding & full, unwavering support for their mission from their supposed "supporters" in Washington? Have those critical of the war done one single thing they used as platform promises to "bring the troops home" in the elections? No on both counts. Oil is the same thing... have the Republicans taken strong steps towards bring up supply and dropping prices? Have the Democrats taken strong steps towards this "renewable energy funding" they continually harp on? Both sides ocassionally throw out a carefully selected measure they know will be blocked by the other side merely to ensure they appear to be in a constant state of tug-o-war between the parties, but as far as real actions go, I've yet to see any.

It's time we demand our representatives either take responsibillity, even if it does end up being a massive crap, or else get the hell off the toilet and let someone who's willing to get their hands dirty and their feet wet take a turn.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   
No offense to you, but...

"It's time we demand our representatives either take responsibillity... or else get the hell off the toilet..."

... is also a nice little song and dance that we hear over & over. I'm not sure what more people can do under the system and lifestyle we are in. I thought we did demand responsibility from our representatives when we voted the republicans out of congress two years ago. How much clearer could the people have been about their intentions? We want out of this unlawful, unjustified, and uncalled for war.

But what happened? pfffthhttt... nothing. Not a damn thing.

So, what this tells me is that our "representatives" are no longer "representing" anyone but themselves and special intrest groups. What this told me is that I will tell my "representatives" how I feel this November by NOT VOTING FOR A SINGLE ONE OF THEM, BUT BY VOTING FOR A NEW PARTY ALTOGETHER! I don't care if doing so takes a vote away from one party and gives it to another... neither party would have gotten my vote ANYWAY!

So, short of a all out revolution... what can an average Joe do other than utilize his power to vote?

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Those in Congress are doing nothing about it because there isn't much one can do about it when you aren't running the show. Who IS running the show? The corporations. Welcome to the downside of democracy folks. Isn't it fun?

I used to correct ppl on this site when they called us a democracy. "NO we are not! We are a constitutional republic!" Unfortunately I see now that we have not been under that system in quite some time. We are, in fact, a democracy and our gov't is simply a front (a "song and dance" if you will) to hide who has really been calling the shots.

Congress won't do anything more than what they have been doing... putting on a show for us. That goes for both republicans and democrats. It's time to quit waiting for them to pull their heads out of their arses bc I guarantee they are quite aware of it. Why do you think none of them accept the blame? They aren't "lying" ya know.

WE are the ones who need to pull our heads out of OUR arses and start simplifying our lives. Saying "no" to their games. We are broke anyway and don't have much to lose; we just haven't realized it yet as a country. Unless you have substance backing up that joke we call a dollar bill, you have (own) nothing.

What you see going down on Wall Street is the big boys battling it out for the ultimate top dog position. We are the pawns... but keep in mind that as long as you are a pawn, you are still in the game. You'll just have to actually start playing it instead of expecting the puppets in washington DC to play for you. The rules of this country have changed and it's time to adjust yourself to it or you'll find yourself knocked off the board quicker than you realize.

Just my two cents that I'll admit aren't worth much

join