It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conqueror Of The Stars (Work In Progress)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Genre - Fiction

Short Description

A shy young boy with a love for the majestic stars of the night sky, is taken on an incredible journey through space. A journey which he, and many people will never forget.

My life story wouldn’t exactly be what you would call “normal”. I’ll get into it soon, but first I’ll tell you a little bit about my childhood. I was born in Covina, Los Angeles, to Maria Gonzales. My mother, Maria Gonzales, was a math teacher at the local Dawkin’s High School. She was extremely good at mathematics, so I know where I didn’t get my math skills, or lack of math skills from. As for my father, I’ve never met him, and my mother has never told me anything about him. It doesn’t bother me much any more, but when I was young, I remember having to make up stories about his whereabouts whenever my friends would ask me about him. As a young boy I was extremely shy. I shamelessly cried all day on my first day of kindergarten. Years passed, and eventually I was in Darwin Middle School. I was still a little shy, but was able to talk to people, and make a couple of friends. Around that time, I developed an interest in staying out late at night to stare at the stars. I didn’t know that all of those stars in the dark sky were other suns. I always thought they were the kind of stars that teachers gave stickers of when you passed a test, or did a good job on an assignment.

Three years passed, and I enrolled at Dawkin’s High School, the high school where my mother teaches math. Before long, I was placed into Special Ed classes for “emotionally disturbed” children. I wasn’t dumb, but I was still pretty shy, and very quiet. I was actually kind of glad that they placed me in Special Ed classes, because I didn’t have to have my mother (A regular Ed teacher) as a teacher. I was also glad, because now I finally had the opportunity to say I was the smartest person in my class, without it being a lie. Two years later I was a junior at Dawkin’s High School, and still hadn’t built up the courage to ask a girl out on a date. There I was, 17 years old, and only 2 years away from graduating high school, and still hadn’t had my first kiss. Boy, was I miserable. I was depressed most of the time, but I wouldn’t let it show. Not at school, and especially not around my mother, cause I wouldn’t want her to worry.

On the bus ride home from school (My mom usually takes me home, but she stays after school for meetings every Thursday) I usually have my CD player on, listening to music, and staring out at the mountains, and the sky. Today however, there was a new student. A girl, she was Hispanic, about my height, and very beautiful. She had long black hair, nice full lips, pretty eyes, and pretty big breasts. She sat on the free seat across from me. She had a clear view of me, so needless to say I was a nervous wreck. I glanced over at her every once in a while. At about the third time she caught me. I quickly looked in another direction, but she kept her eye on me, waiting for me to slip up. When I decided to take one last peak, she was already looking at me. Our eyes locked, she looked away for a second, then looked back, and smiled. I was in utter shock.

“You’re shy, aren’t you?” she suddenly said.
Trying to gather my thoughts, I quickly replied, “Ahh, uhh umm, yeah, people say I am”. She said “My name’s Asia, what’s yours?”
I replied, “Alex …my name’s Alex”
Gazing at me with her beautiful eyes, and wonderful smile she said, “Well, it was nice to meet you Alex”.
Trying to look normal I said “Umm yeah, you to”.

My bus stop was approaching; I’m usually the last person on the bus by the time we get to my stop. So I wondered where Asia would be dropped off. When we got to my bus stop I got up, and so did Asia. So I guess that was the answer to my question. We got off together. As we walked I asked her if she was new to the neighborhood.

She said, “Yeah, me, and my baby brother Daniel were living with my mother, but she got into doing to many drugs, with the stress of being a single mother, and being addicted to drugs, eventually she had a nervous breakdown. She lives in a home for mentally ill people now. My grandparents were given custody rights of me, and my brother, so now we’re living with them here”.

“Oh, sounds rough. I never knew my dad either,” I said.
She interrupted, and said, “actually, I knew my dad, but he died a couple of years ago. It wasn’t long after that that my mother got into drugs”. I noticed, when she said that, she turned her head to the right to prevent me from looking at her, she was crying. I felt bad that I triggered those memories to resurface. Well, I had finally gotten home, and I asked her if she wanted me to walk her to her place.
“Actually Alex, I guess were going to be next-door neighbors” she said.
To my surprise, her grandparents were the crazy old couple from next door. I always heard them yelling, and fighting over something. I didn’t tell Asia that though, she already looked pretty upset, thanks to me.
“Well Asia, I guess I’ll see you on the bus tomorrow” I said.
She said “Yeah, bye Alex”
“Bye” I replied
I didn’t get to walk her home, but I got a good view of her derriere as she left.

A couple of days later, on a Saturday, late at night, I went outside to look at the stars. I always loved looking at the stars at night. Their beauty is unmatched. Nothing can compare to the feeling I get when I go outside on a clear night, when thousands upon thousands of stars are visible. I cannot help but be amazed at the sheer size of our universe, and that is when it dawns on me, exactly how small we really are in this grand universe. When gazing at the night sky, many times I just cannot look away, it is almost as if the stars themselves put me in a trance. A lot of people may find driving fast cars, and going out every day fun, but there is no car fast enough to give me the thrill I experience, when I’m laying on the grass of my mother’s front lawn late at night, staring at the stars.

To Be Continued

[edit on 11-9-2008 by AlexG141989]

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   
“So what are you doing out so late Alex?” A voice said. I was surprised, and quickly turned my head around, and saw Asia coming. She was dressed in her pajamas. She came, and sat next to me.

“So what are you doing?” She said.
“Oh nothing, every now and then I like to come out here, and just look at the stars” I said
“Umm, what do you get out of staring at the stars?” She replied with a laugh.
“Well, not much I guess, but they’re very nice to look at”
“Yeah, I guess you’re right, so you’re into space, and all that astronomy stuff?”

I said, “Yeah, I’m not an expert, but I love it anyway. It’s so interesting, and weird when you really get to thinking about it. Do you know how small our earth really is compared to other planets, and stars?”

She said with a smile, “Umm, no, how small are we”

“It is absolutely ridiculous how small humans, and the planet earth really are. Let’s say the earth was the sun, that little rock right there would be the earth. Humans would probably be a billion times smaller compared to the sun, than an ant is compared to the earth. Don’t get me started; I can go on forever with this. The biggest star that we currently know of makes our sun look like a single grain of sand.” I said

“Wow, you really know your stuff Alex,” She said.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Oh you NEED to see beyond orions belt, friend

Here's hoping for a beautiful and incredible future for you, treat the magic with respect and kindness and your love will be returned

join