It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World wants Obama as president: poll

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by SectionEight

You are speaking as if governments were the ones polled. The general public does not micro analyze things in the way you are suggesting.

Also, you stated that "the rest of the worlds opinion means nothing because the world's opiinion, as it is today, is in direct conflict with the national interests of the US" when it came to Iraq. Forgetting how arrogant that statement is, it's completely wrong.

It's not in the United State's interest. Over half of the country, for instance, does not agree that Iraq was ever in our interest. So that statement is misleading and wrong.

You also said: "for the rest of the world to think Obama would somehow champion their national interests over that of the US is preposterous at best."

And therein lies the heart of the issue. These people are only looking out for themselves in a much broader frame of mind. They, like many of the US, just want a more accountable administration. A change of scenery.

When you discredit and belittle these people's opinions, you are doing the same to half of your own country.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Sublime620

You are equating national interest with popularity, that is not how it works. A national interest such as energy or strategic millitary alliances will be a national interest worth acting upon regardless of any popular opinion. Historically this is the case.
Conversely the right thing to do will not be done if there is no national interest at stake, take the massacres in Africa for example. Clinton acted upon Bosnia instead of the genocide in Africa because he chose to act in the national interest as will all presidents.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by SectionEight

A star for you. Your statement is absolutely true. Many times, public opinion does not track well with national interest. I think much of that has to do with what it is in interest of the MSM. Since much of what people really "know" comes from the MSM, if they relate information which is only favorable to their interests, (e.g. ratings), then the public bases much of the "thought" on that related material. I believe that is WHY there has been so much discussion on "trash" material in the political arena, since trash seems to boost ratings. To the average American, I'm afraid discussing the deficit doesn't click with them, although I believe that it should.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Sublime620

Who internationally is being polled and verification of that could be difficult.

However, I did a little internet search to see if there were others that agreed on the Obama statement by the OP and here is something I found.

If Obama is elected president, Cull said, “I expect that [global] opinion polls will … show a tremendous willingness to allow the United States to start fresh.” McCain, he said, “would probably not generate the same response. He would seem more like business as usual.”

To read the whole article, the link is below.

www.america.gov...

Heres is yet another...

China Daily

Among those tracking the American election, greater numbers in 20 countries expressed more confidence in Obama, the likely Democratic nominee, than John McCain, the Republican candidate

elections.foxnews.com...

And linked on Fox news no less

There would be some that would think that Americas political interests and her strategic interests come before the peoples interests.

From devastating financial markets to the war. Americas issues have effected nations worldwide and her people within her care. I know I want to see serious change, and I think it was safe of the OP to say the international community on a whole does too.

Peace

[edit on 15-9-2008 by HIFIGUY]

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
I think much of the world sees Obama as a weak leader, maybe, with this in mind, is it any wonder why our enemies would prefer him, over McCain?

So the world is our enemy now?

Is that nationalism or paranoid insanity?

- Lee

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
I think much of the world sees Obama as a weak leader, maybe, with this in mind, is it any wonder why our enemies would prefer him, over McCain?

No. The reason McCain is less preferred is because of the current commander and chief, GW Bush.

Two in three Canadians (67%) prefer Obama, while 22% favor McCain. As in the United States, widespread disapproval of the Bush administration is almost certainly hurting McCain in Canada.

Gallup Poll Link below

www.gallup.com...

Its not just by a small margin they like Obama, but a massive one.
4 to 1 Internationally.

Peace

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Sure they do,he has no experiance with foreign relations.looks like he may win,now is the time to worry could this be the 1st time in hundreds of years we will fight a battle on our own turf?hope he doesn't give the US away,kind of scary his VP already warned there will be problems,and we will have to do things that we feel aren't right? I think we will be the next USSR,glad I'm an old man

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oldtimer2
Sure they do,he has no experiance with foreign relations.looks like he may win,now is the time to worry could this be the 1st time in hundreds of years we will fight a battle on our own turf?hope he doesn't give the US away,kind of scary his VP already warned there will be problems,and we will have to do things that we feel aren't right? I think we will be the next USSR,glad I'm an old man

Perhaps to sway votes into the Palin/McCain camp you should trumpet the great job that Bush/McCain have done on the foreign relations front.

I would expect that Colin Powell will contribute greatly to Sen Obama on foreign relations.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oldtimer2

Bidens comment may ring true. You dont take over a house that has been poorly run without sacrifices.

The situation has been allowed to get so bad, that the voice of the afflicted is being heard. Simple math.

Every generation has its calling.

Peace

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join