It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Vote NO on Pop-ups

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   
During the last 2 minutes I was slammed by TWO popups. One was by H-P and I blanked out the other one before I could get its sponsor's name.

I do understand the need to raise revenues so I can continue to post here for free. The best blog site I know of. But pop-ups are particularly distasteful.

Put me down for a big NO.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I agree with you. I dont like the popups. I think that this has been adressed by one of the owners a few days ago though.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
The point about the pop-ups is to catch your attention. But I believe they fail when the only attention their getting is an exit click, and a pissed off person who was interrupted from their searching or working on something much more important.

I realize ADS have to get out in the world somehow, but why the internet? Not very many people spend their time on the internet even reading the side ads.

But what I find most annoying is those dang talking ads. I want to shoot those things. They never shut up, and if you do find the stop button, it takes you like ten minutes for you to get it to work. It's annoying.

NO.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Firefox's built in pop-up blocker does a pretty good job but some things do still get through. One thing that I just did today:

I was looking on wunderground.com to check out tropical storm activity and there's this REALLY annoying banner that expands to cover most of the page.

I found out where it was coming from and redirected the address to localhost. No more banner.

As a whole, I don't mind advertising. But if you throw it in my face and prevent me from doing what I need to do then I'll just make it so I never see them again. It gets to a point where these guys are shooting themselves in the foot because people will stop putting up with it.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I use Firefox, and I've never seen a pop-up on this site or on any other site.

Just learn to interwebs better.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

Yeah, I use FF 3.01 Portable and have never seen a pop-up yet on this site. I have seen them on other sites where it gets through the blocker.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by ConMi27
But what I find most annoying is those dang talking ads. I want to shoot those things. They never shut up, and if you do find the stop button, it takes you like ten minutes for you to get it to work. It's annoying.

I almost laughed beer out of my nose reading this. What, you don't like being informed: "Congratulations, you've won a free ipod nano" in the shrillest voice possible?

Perhaps even more annoying than that are the flash ads that block the content you're reading and are smart enough to move when you scroll. Talk about hijacking the user experience.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I vote NO, last week I kept getting those darn pop ups on this site. I thought I had a virus from someones link, ran everything to clear out. Found a bunch of spy-crap, got rid of all that, no more so far........knock-on-wood

I thought it was just me that had the prop

[edit on 27-8-2008 by 38181]

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
To be fair I also use the add-on No-Script. Gives you control over any and all content on any webpage, I can browse any website I do normally and keep advertising from ever bothering me.

I apologize if any of the above sounds like a commercial.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by thrashee

Beer already? Dam its not evan 5 O'clock here.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

Hey, at least you didn't live link to spreadfirefox with a referral code!

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by MockedUnicorn

I agree with you. I dont like the popups. I think that this has been adressed by one of the owners a few days ago though

Oops! I am not good at keeping up with the T&C. Can you link me there? Thanks.

[edit on 8/27/2008 by donwhite]

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

I use Firefox, and I've never seen a pop-up on this site or on any other site.

Just learn to interwebs better.

Strange you should report this. I have had FF v. 2 for 4-5 months and had NONE. Yesterday, I accepted the FF offer to upgrade - I'm a sucker for any upgrade - and starting today I'm running FF v. 3. Lo and behold, I am now getting pop-ups I never had on FF v. 2.

I assumed (wrongly?) that ATS had done something.

At this instant I'm posting on IE v. 6.1. I wanted to stay away from MS but here I am using it. I also have Apple's Safari v 3.2.

I still don't like pop-ups.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Pop ups, hate them. Never saw one that offered me some thing I really to know about. I also vote no more popups...bil

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Personally, I don't mind them.
I do use pop up blockers. But those that do sneak through, I close.
Yes, annoying at best ... but honestly doesn't bother me in the least.

If it means ATS is using it to keep the site free and available to the masses, so be it. How many of us really click or read them anyway?

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Yeah, seriously you guys...

I work on the net for a living and rely on my ads for my income, How the heck should ATS stay in buisiness, pay sites are almost impossible to grow and donations = Fail

I mean seriously, the least you could do is look at them for 2 seconds and download some fre ringtones or actually buy something you might end up buying elswhere if you see it here...especially if you spen alot of time here.

You know...

Jobs suck compared to working on the net, i don't know if I even could work a job anymore...

Once you start working the net and have some freedom...going back becomes next to impossible

The more businesses on the net you support the more likely "work from home" will become available for you too...

In the end your supporting the one way we have to be free from giant corporations being our bosses and your doing it without putting them out of business and hurting the economy either... it's total win/win

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   
This web site has pop ups? Or are you talking about the ads on the side and top of the windows?
Opera does a pretty good job of keeping them blocked.

-fm

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

In the end your supporting the one way we have to be free from giant corporations being our bosses and your doing it without putting them out of business and hurting the economy either... it's total win/win

Hmm. I forgot about this very crucial part of our lives. Thanks for reminding me. Maybe I'll have to re-think my vote? And take your advice.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Forget it..click on one of those pop-ups and you'll be getting spammed for the rest of the history of your email accounts.
Anything that forces me to waste a second or two having to close down is a waste of my precious time..and as they say time is priceless

new topics

top topics

join