It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA altering Mars images???

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by mapsurfer_

Hopefully this link will give you some info on the announcement you are talking about.

www.sciencedaily.com...

"Phoenix Mars mission scientists spoke Aug. 5 on research in progress concerning an ongoing investigation of perchlorate salts detected in soil analyzed by the wet chemistry laboratory aboard NASA's Phoenix Lander"

Does anyone know where you can get the RAW LRGB (separate color files that you can combine) images or equivalent. I would love to be able to try to experiment with these and go through the color combine process myself.

Cheers

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Thanks for that info.. not exactly as exciting as I had hoped for...
Here is a pretty cool image from Phoenix showing frost on the ground.

The color in this image looks pretty good to me.

[edit on 22-8-2008 by mapsurfer_]

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by mapsurfer_

I know how you feel, when i first heard about the announcement i hoped it would be significant seen as the rumor was that the White house had been briefed! Bit of a anti-climax to say the least.

It is very strange that NASA would alter the colors this significantly, what would be the purpose? You can use the shape and color of rocks to identify the type and compare it to those on Earth. Altering the image in this way surely hampers scientific analysis to some degree.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   
If NASA is covering up life on Mars, it isn't on their initiative.

Think about if for a second. What does every government agency really exist for?

To get funding.

What would stir the public interest enough for a full investigation?

Life on Mars.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by bloodsearch

bloodsearch,
Thanks for your interest in this topic... I just stumbled upon this very same thing sometime last week, strange indeed. Haven't got up the nerve yet to try the imaging yet myself... but in the meantime:

Here is the source for the NASA RAW images, it's the best I have come up with so far.

In order to have a grasp on the filenames, etc. (and what filters were used) You can check here for some background. Pretty much explains it in NASA terms.

Here is one last link that may be of use to everyone interested. Haven't seen it on here yet.

areo.info...

Cheers!

Telemetry

Also: If that truly is the case,
Why does anyone suppose NASA would alter the color of the images prior to public release?

[edit for cleanup]

[edit on 22-8-2008 by telemetry]

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   
The skys on MARS are more than likely grey, overcast looking but without the clouds. If there was condensation in the air I could agree with the reddish hue at times.

So looking up at the sky in London, UK would be much the same as Mars. Grey, grey, overcast, more grey.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Oh god.... You can see mars is reddish orange from telescopes from earth...

The color derives from rust, iron oxide, which composes perhaps 10% of the Martian soil. The oxygen that rusts the surface iron on Mars originates predominantly from carbon dioxide gas, which composes 95% of the Martian atmosphere.

[edit on 23-8-2008 by AntisepticSkeptic]

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I've just tried the color combine process myself as instructed. Took less than a couple of minutes using the L4 L5 and L6 filtered images.

The difference is quite significant.

Original NASA image

Mine

Doing a bit of research NASA claims that the images are approximately true color. Why would this be claimed if this fact is not accurate. Was there any known faults at the time ?

Also to prove the method I combined this and it turns out as expected

Diagram to compare

Taken from www.goroadachi.com...

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by AntisepticSkeptic
Oh god.... You can see mars is red from telescopes from earth...

Jeeez....

[edit on 23-8-2008 by AntisepticSkeptic]

Glad you edited your post, I can't speak for everyone on here however I have a upmost respect for NASA's accomplishments, however I am just re-iterating the same fact others have before that the images as they are presented are not accurate IMO. Theres no disputing that Mars has a red color but not to the extent that some images released represent.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by bloodsearch
I've just tried the color combine process myself as instructed. Took less than a couple of minutes using the L4 L5 and L6 filtered images.

Original NASA image

Mine

Doing a bit of research NASA claims that the images are approximately true color. Why would this be claimed if this fact is not accurate. Was there any known faults at the time ?

Also to prove the method I combined this and it turns out as expected

Diagram to compare

Taken from www.goroadachi.com...

Some good work on the coloration process there! Although I would personally be weary of using the exact same filter changes on each picture to achieve your 'true color' picture outcome. I'm not too good with cameras or image editing/filtering and what-have-you, but I pose a single question now about getting the 'true-color' pictures: What is to say that NASA has altered every single picture in the same way? I would definitely attempt to apply my filters only directly to a picture where the sundial, or American flag are present in the same picture. Otherwise they could have simply used a different color filter dependent on the initial publicly released pictures.

Just my 2 cents, though!

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by jephers0n

I completely agree. This is definitely not the only process they use to color combine the images, the website quoted on the first page are best for explaining that and i'm certainly no image processing expert

Check out this site
areo.info...

I've seen a few pictures with the sundial but haven't got round to doing my own. Mainly its just for fun for me

I made sure that the same camera and filters where used in each picture so that the dial and edited image could be directly compared. Then from this we can assume that if the dial was in the image it would look the same bar any external factors like, time of day, weather conditions etc. I believe this is eliminated to some degree as both images come from a similar set.

[EDIT: mistake]

[edit on 23-8-2008 by bloodsearch]

[edit on 23-8-2008 by bloodsearch]

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   
For some reason my edit of original post did not work.

Heres the picture edited by someone else using three of the techniques used by NASA and seem to match up well with my attempt

Check them out

Related picture, different method

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by bloodsearch

Original NASA image

Mine

Perhaps they mean true color after it is filtered to their liking

-ChriS

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by BlasteR

True color if you wearing rose tinted glasses on Mars

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join