It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spain Outraged At Media Twisting Its Athletes' "Ching Chong Chinaman" Fun

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Spain Outraged At Media Twisting Its Athletes' "Ching Chong Chinaman" Fun

gawker.com

Here was the Spanish Olympic basketball team, minding its own business by posing for a full-page newspaper ad in the "Slanty-eyed Chinaman" pose, which, as all Spanish basketball players know, is funny and endearing. Then the scurrilous English-speaking media goes and writes a news story about it, twisting it into some sort of "racist" gesture. Despite the fact that Spanish athletes have many Chinamen friends! Spanish nationalist outrage has risen up at the foreign misinterpretations of this widely practiced gesture of eye-based friendship among Spanish athletic teams. So it's only fitting that the (English) reporter who broke the story has now had to write a groveling piece defending his decision to cover this Spanish leisure activity:
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I'm open minded, but I feel that what they where doing was insulting to other nationalities.

Once again the Olympic Committee is not doing anything about some thing is China.

gawker.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Perhaps the eye thing was like saying, hey, for the Olympics we are ALL Chinese..kinda like, we're all human. Hard to explain. One thing is for sure, different places have different cultures and OFTEN don't get each other or think the other is being crass.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
That's true. I never thought opf it that way. I've noticed on posting in a forum with many people from different countries you get even sayings that will be tak'n the wrong way.

new topics

top topics

join