It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Christianity jealous of Islam?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Disclaimer: I am NOT justifying the terrorist or "barbaric" acts of some muslim people.

Let me propose that there is an undercurrent of religious jealousy involved in the way that we typically think about Islam, expecially those who are Christian.

They have enough faith in their beleifs to die for them, and in many cases actively pursue this.

If the statistics are to be believed, Islam is growing rapidly and spreading through countries beyond the Middle East.

Christianity on the other hand is diminishing, perhaps not in numbers but at least in influence.

These people do not take up arms, even sacrifice their lives for their religion (I am not saying they should, just observing that they don't. ). Most Christians are 'casual' or 'convenient' Christians who want the benefit of eternal glory but the perks of material life as well.

I beleive that collectively, Christianity is very jealous of Islam because the followers demonstrate a greater conviction to their own beleifs.

Thoughts?

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

As "christianity" is a noun, it is not endowed with the power to have ANY emotions any more than the moon's ability to crave the warmth of the sun.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

As "christianity" is a noun, it is not endowed with the power to have ANY emotions any more than the moon's ability to crave the warmth of the sun.

It is in reference to the motivations of the collective group. As in the old cliche of New York dislikes Chicago or Los Angeles.

Now that semantics are out of the way, please contribute your opinion

[edit on 13-8-2008 by asmeone2]

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Christians actually still suffer from a lot of Martyrdom today, we just don't see it, because we live in a majorly christian country. India is a very unsafe for a Christian, you can get 6 years in prison for preforming or taking part in a baptism in Nepal.

Edit: it takes a LOT of conviction for an evangelistic Christian to do half the stuff he or she does.

[edit on 13-8-2008 by Poemander]

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Martyrs aren't people who are simply willing to die for their faith. Martyrs are people who are killed because of their faith. There's a huge difference. When a Muslim straps bombs to the body and runs into the crowd to kill himself and everyone else around him, that's an act of aggression, even war. It is most positively not an act of martyrdom no matter how many Muslims would like to call it that.

If you want to see true martyrdom in action then go read about past and present cases against Christians all over the world. They don't try taking their detractors with them when they are murdered.

As far as numbers go, how many homicide bombers have died for Islam and how many Christian missionaries have died in the course of their ministries all over the world? This is speculation on my part, maybe someone knows, but I'm betting that there is an overwhelmingly larger number of missionaries and ordinary Christians who have died for their faith without taking women and children with them and without maiming innocents in the process.

I'm sad for Muslims. Their religion can be worse for their health than smoking.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ichabod

Martyrs aren't people who are simply willing to die for their faith. Martyrs are people who are killed because of their faith. There's a huge difference. When a Muslim straps bombs to the body and runs into the crowd to kill himself and everyone else around him, that's an act of aggression, even war. It is most positively not an act of martyrdom no matter how many Muslims would like to call it that.

If you want to see true martyrdom in action then go read about past and present cases against Christians all over the world. They don't try taking their detractors with them when they are murdered.

As far as numbers go, how many homicide bombers have died for Islam and how many Christian missionaries have died in the course of their ministries all over the world? This is speculation on my part, maybe someone knows, but I'm betting that there is an overwhelmingly larger number of missionaries and ordinary Christians who have died for their faith without taking women and children with them and without maiming innocents in the process.

I'm sad for Muslims. Their religion can be worse for their health than smoking.

I love those last two sentances...

But, in all fairness, Christians are not the only ones through history who have been killed in defense of or because of their religion.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Christianity is not Jelous of Islam, it has compassion for them for they are Lost. We are to be christ like and follow after the teachings of christ who came to reveal the will of the father which is to love your neighbor, do good to those who despitefully use you and forgive so that we may be forgiven. Its a mission of love, its a mission of truth. Its not the churches responsiblity to fight other religions with weapons or sinners and murder innocent people, Gods will is that not one person be lost if being a christian you kill someone because they serve another God then you are a tresspasser against the Covenant of God. We are to fight the good fight of faith, we war against wickedness in the spirit realm. Our mission is to Preach the Gospel and have a relationship with the real God, not a dead false god.

Keeper

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Keeper of Kheb
Christianity is not Jelous of Islam, it has compassion for them for they are Lost. We are to be christ like and follow after the teachings of christ who came to reveal the will of the father which is to love your neighbor, do good to those who despitefully use you and forgive so that we may be forgiven. Its a mission of love, its a mission of truth. Its not the churches responsiblity to fight other religions with weapons or sinners and murder innocent people, Gods will is that not one person be lost if being a christian you kill someone because they serve another God then you are a tresspasser against the Covenant of God. We are to fight the good fight of faith, we war against wickedness in the spirit realm. Our mission is to Preach the Gospel and have a relationship with the real God, not a dead false god.

Keeper

Amen.

And I forget the actual number, but Christians are still being martyred a lot for their beliefs. And I in no way am trying to say we're special with that, but christians and being martyred kind of go hand in hand.

I would love to die for God, it would be easier. It's always easier to die for someone/something than it is to live for it.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2

If the statistics are to be believed, Islam is growing rapidly and spreading through countries beyond the Middle East.

Christianity on the other hand is diminishing, perhaps not in numbers but at least in influence.

This is for 2 reasons.

1)Populations of Muslims are absolutely exploding while populations of Christians and peoples who traditionally consider themselves Christian are in steep Decline (with the exception of Catholic Hispanics). In most European countries Muslim populations are the only populations growing rather than shrinking, just as in the US the Hispanic population is the only factor keeping the US population reproducing at a rate of stability.

2)In Islamic countries and some Islamic communities in non Islamic countries it is a capital crime to forsake one's Muslim faith. Christians are free to leave Christianity and return at will; Muslims are not afforded the same rights.

edit: this is exactly what I am talking about. Saudi kills daughter for converting to Christianity. Posted by SpeakerofTruth 40 minutes ago.

I would say that Islam is only growing in influence among those who follow it and those who fear it, while Christianity's influence is undeniably shrinking.

[edit on 8/13/2008 by sc2099]

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Well, given that both religions are supposed to be about "peace" and be "the way," I'd think that neither would have the need to die for their religion. Just because Muslims are willing to die for their religion does not mean they are somehow close to the TRUE God. I assure you, they're not.

Both religions have a history littered with travesty and destruction. Before 9/11, I was pretty open to both of these religion, but since, not so much. I realized that the "war on terrorism" is nothing more than another crusade. Both religions feel their power diminishing to alternative spiritualities and they are attempting to retain the same stranglehold that they have had over humanity's spiritual growth for centuries.

[edit on 13-8-2008 by SpeakerofTruth]

[edit on 14-8-2008 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by sc2099

edit: this is exactly what I am talking about. Saudi kills daughter for converting to Christianity. Posted by SpeakerofTruth 40 minutes ago.

[edit on 8/13/2008 by sc2099]

Thats not an isolated case by the way, in India, many families would rather kill their child than have a christian for a child. It's incredibly dangerous.

And an interesting thing to note is that while the number of christians may be dropping, the number of evangelistic christians is actually rising.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Poemander
[And an interesting thing to note is that while the number of christians may be dropping, the number of evangelistic christians is actually rising.

You conider this a "good" trend? Evangelicals are the equivalent of radical Muslims... They are about as fanatical. Everyone should belief just as they do, and if we don't, we're going to "hell."

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth

You conider this a "good" trend? Evangelicals are the equivalent of radical Muslims... They are about as fanatical. Everyone should belief just as they do, and if we don't, we're going to "hell."

While there are some radical "christians" which have VERY twisted views, evangelicals aren't trying to force people to believe their beliefs (in theory, AND for the most part), their beliefs are that people who don't follow god will go to hell, but this is something which has been in the christian faith since day one, they aren't changing doctrine for this belief, they are just following it.

And if you believed that people who aren't christian would go to hell, then what would you do, except try to save the people you love?

[edit on 14-8-2008 by Poemander]

[edit on 14-8-2008 by Poemander]

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   

While there are some radical "christians" which have VERY twisted views, evangelicals aren't trying to force people to believe their beliefs .....

And if you believed that people who aren't christian would go to hell, then what would you do, except try to save the people you love?

Guess you guys love everybody, then. But boy you have a strange way of showing it.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth

Originally posted by Poemander
[And an interesting thing to note is that while the number of christians may be dropping, the number of evangelistic christians is actually rising.

So what? Even if they believe you're going to hell it's not like they're trying to speed up your departure. Radical Christians only hurt themselves by depriving themselves of fun, social interaction, knowledge, experience, and life in general. Plus they're really annoying. But they are so ignorant you have to pity them.

Radical Muslims are not afraid to kill themselves while they're sending you to hell. You can hardly compare the two groups.

SR

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   
In my opinion from the hardline Christians i've met i would say yes but this would be because Islam can't be slandered without slandering their own religion.

Islam for a arguemental viewpoint is probably the strongest out of the desert dogma's as quite simply there is little that can be brushed aside without denouncing your own religion.

It's as if some hardline Christians are jealous of the purity of it as a monothestic religion.

There's pretty much an answer for everything you can slander the Koran with that can be turned back and make the bible Christianity look like a joke.

I wouldn't be surpised too see in the future more hardline christians converting to Islam.

Luckly there is enough sensible people in the world still that don't follow or need these jokes and fairy tales to hinder us.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Disclaimer: I am NOT justifying the terrorist or "barbaric" acts of some muslim people.

But yet make light of it..merely?

Let me propose that there is an undercurrent of religious jealousy involved in the way that we typically think about Islam, expecially those who are Christian.

Let me purpose? marriage? im not jealous of violent drugged up hypocrate humans pretending to be something there not-masters of earth. Nor am i jealous of christians, self deceived closed minded biggots for the most part. I believe Christ reincarnates and tells you all to F-off, takes who he likes and lets you all do yourselves in over these stupid squibbles..

They have enough faith in their beleifs to die for them, and in many cases actively pursue this.

These people are brainwashed patsies of government control groups which seek to dominate through fear and there own contrived solutions called slavery. They use religionist zealots to complete the fear they need to create so they step in as a good guy. Unwittingly the populace, mostly religionist, falls in line with the trickery.

theres a sucker born every second nowdays, nothing personal, but if you study what nicholai tesla studied, you would know the Kabba at Mecca is a giant mind control energy transfer device, and the people are the battery for it.

DALEKS ARE THE MASTERS OF EARTH EXTERMINATE EXTERMINATE-quote from Dr who to relate my feelings towards monolithic structures of any species, whether it be a pack of wolves or humans.

Thats because a certain secret society and free radicals have over time twisted, deranged and eviscerated true understanding within the intend christian men who wrote the books likely intended, and people can sense, if they are enlightened as Most Americans generaly, they sense when something is missing there, like reality and sanity.

These people do not take up arms, even sacrifice their lives for their religion (I am not saying they should, just observing that they don't. ). Most Christians are 'casual' or 'convenient' Christians who want the benefit of eternal glory but the perks of material life as well.

they shouldnt have to, nor should any other tribe or whatever..humanity should get along with each other, say no one is right, and keep seeking the truth for eternity, whilst getting along.

I beleive that collectively, Christianity is very jealous of Islam because the followers demonstrate a greater conviction to their own beleifs.

I disagree, christians have been softened intentialy by the communist whatever title: imposters in the centers, churches, sin-a-gogs and temples, so that there masters could frame them and ruin them. Its true look it up.

[edit on 14-8-2008 by mastermind77]

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by mastermind77

I disagree, christians have been softened intentialy by the communist whatever title: imposters in the centers, churches, sin-a-gogs and temples, so that there masters could frame them and ruin them. Its true look it up.

[edit on 14-8-2008 by mastermind77]

There masters? What are you going on about?

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Let me propose that there is an undercurrent of religious jealousy involved in the way that we typically think about Islam, expecially those who are Christian... I beleive that collectively, Christianity is very jealous of Islam because the followers demonstrate a greater conviction to their own beleifs.
Thoughts?

Some Christians are jealous, but I don't see this being normative. Many Christians fear the persecution that inevitably follows Islam, and has from the beginning. From Muhammad on, Islam has primarily spread by the sword. Even Karen Armstrong in her biased Islamic history book could not avoid this aspect.

However, I might also point out that Islam has its roots in the Nestorian sect. Muhammad's wife was a "Christian" and her father was a bishop, so Muhammad would have been baptized as a Nestorian in order to marry her. So, it is a splinter group just as Mormonism.

Disclaimer: I do not wish to get into a Mormonism flame war and I will ignore any such posts

Finally, I have read English translations of the Qu'ran, so I am aware of what it says. Muhammad was not peaceful and neither is the Qu'ran' even so, there are many nice and peaceful Muslims. But as a mob, they can be dangerous (if not from first principles, history demonstrated this across the globe).

Disclaimer: I do not wish to get into a crusades flame war and I will ignore any such posts; many Orthodox Christians were slaughtered in the crusades, and Byzantium was sacked by Roman Catholics, so I will ignore those posts as well.

So... jealousy? Not much.
But anger and dread? Very much so.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 01:56 AM
link   

hello there

as a Christian it saddens me to see lack of faith in Christians, i lack faith at time in certain things, we all do. It also saddens me when Christians do not take the bible as their guide. we may interpret stuff in differing ways but these will be corrected over time..

regarding numbers i see less Christians attending church and even less holding to the truth of the Bible. However paradoxically to those that DO hold to th truth of the Bible, this is faith strengthening as this is EXACTLY what is foretold to happen.

Jealousy is hand in hand with coveting and that is a sin. IF you have faith and read Gods word, the ONLY thing you can feel is worry and concern for a lost soul.

David

[edit on 15/8/2008 by drevill]

top topics

join