It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2009 The Year of the Draft

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by 4x4fun
I'm officially giving the year 2009 a new name.
When the National Draft starts and because I said it here first, members here at ATS will refer to the year 2009 as "The Year of the Draft" among other things.

You beat me to it darling.
I feel your prediction will come true this year as you've said.
Now, because you said it first, I will call it as you have name it.
The Year of the Draft.

This thread looks dead but it needs to be revived, and most surely will be soon.

Great post!

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 02:39 AM
link   
If it gets bad enough for a democrat congress to approve a draft we are screwed before we can get the new guys trained.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 03:17 AM
link   
They would have to reinstate a draft at this point....as more and more of us are becoming interested in leaving the country rather then fighting their wars.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I think it might be possible that they would begin recalling Retiree's both the medical and Non medical retiree's back in prior to calling up the draft.

Those who did their "20" years and are still physically able to perform their duty within Regulations and those medicaled that could be tweaked to fit within regulations might be called back prior to initiating any kind of Draft. as some people stated it would be political suicide.

I unfortunately fall in the medical retiree category.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   
DRAFT: Military (Armed Services) or Civilian (Civilian Defense Force) or BOTH??

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
A new Draft would fit the bill for what Joe Biden said would be a politically unpopular decision but that we would need to support the new administration on....but it was also in response to "something". What if the Middle East got nuked (blame it on Iran) and we lost 80% of our troops deployed over there? Obviously we would have to replinish the troop population to maintain stasis and even more so if to retaliate. Another scenario to contemplate on a site such as this......

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mysterysoul
I think it might be possible that they would begin recalling Retiree's both the medical and Non medical retiree's back in prior to calling up the draft.

Those who did their "20" years and are still physically able to perform their duty within Regulations and those medicaled that could be tweaked to fit within regulations might be called back prior to initiating any kind of Draft. as some people stated it would be political suicide.

I unfortunately fall in the medical retiree category.

Get a doctors slip. Seriously if you can find something wrong with a vital organ hopefully the heart you won't be going anywhere.

If it happened to me I would require a marching/uniform/saluting/exercise/drill wavier. I would come to work dressed in civi's do my job and go home. Anything else my response would be, what you gonna throw me in jail? Good I never wanted to be here in the first place take it or leave it.

It just takes one with that attitude for the masses to say "ya he's right!" and then the real active duty hate us but hey I already did my time and will have no interest in doing it again.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I was 6 years active duty by the time I was medically retired. So going back after being out about 5 years is still an option, it's not to say i wouldn't go back if they told me to. I kinda miss it.

There are allot of people on retirement, and medical retirements as well. that could get called back prior to initiating any kind of draft, I think however that if they don't get the "quality" and "quantity" they need to justify whatever their combat means are, then the draft might be a better option to get the younger, and more "healthy" people in to put out there on the "front lines".

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Darthorious

If you refuse a lawful order during war time you can be shot on the spot so if you gave them too much grief and comprimised the ability of your unit to fight I think you would be an example on why you follow orders. It happened in vietman some.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I got med retired too. I lost my sea clearnce so if I get called back Im on the ground.

[edit on 5-1-2009 by bcroper]

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Well, the way things are shaping up for 2009, it wouldn't surprise me if Congress would have to reinstate the draft. For what reason do I think this?

The War in Iraq for one. Every week we hear story after story about recruiting levels being down. We have troops over there that have to skip rotation because of lack of replacements. Many are told when they come home that it won't be for months, possibly even a year before having to return overseas. Only to have a month pass by and get the call that your unit or battalion has just been activated again, prepare for a 48 hour mount out.

How about Afghanistan and the Obama administration wanting to increase troop levels there.

Then we have all the other little private wars going on that never make the news, except some whacked out conspiracy site(no offense ATS).

AND, the current Gaza situation. The U.S is playing it cool right now. But just wait. WE all know some way shape or form the U.S is going to either get pulled through the mud or once again get involved and escalate the situation to a new level of stupidity.

And then, there is our own homeland to worry about. In case of a major national disaster ie. earthquake, tsunami, volcano, hurricane. Who is usually called in to help with clean up and aid? The National Guard. Isn't there already a shortage of NG troops because they are deployed all over hell in the world.

Then there's the big one. A terrorist attack in a major U.S city(s).

In my opinion it wouldn't take much to activate the draft in the coming future.

And as Desert Dawg stated.

Running away to Canada won't work this time around.

Didn't the U.S and Canada just sign an agreement stated something to the effect that each others military can cross the borders to enforce the Governments will upon there citizens. So running to Canada hoping no one is looking for you isn't really a reliable option any more is it? Now they will be looking for you too.

Besides. If things get as bad as what all the doom and gloomers are predicting, then joining the military might not be that bad of an option. Consider this. You get a 3 meals a day. If you have a family the military will provide housing for them as well as a food allowance/ration to feed them. You or your family will have health insurance and access to the base hospital. Really a person can survive without ever leaving the base if our nation got that bad.
Plus if Marshal law were to be enforced I rather spend my life in the military than in some FEMA camp.
But to each his own.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by highfreq
Well, the way things are shaping up for 2009, it wouldn't surprise me if Congress would have to reinstate the draft.

Just by curiosity, what is the age bracket considered (capable men & women below what age?).

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by PopeyeFAFL

I believe it is currently as the Selective service requirements are ages 18-26.
However check this out.

Universal National Service Act of 2007 (Introduced in House) H. R. 393
To require all persons in the United States between the ages of 18 and 42 to perform national service, either as a member of the uniformed services or in civilian service in furtherance of the national defense and homeland security, to authorize the induction of persons in the uniformed services during wartime to meet end-strength requirements of the uniformed services, to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to make permanent the favorable treatment afforded combat pay under the earned income tax credit, and for other purposes.

Source

<< 1   >>

join