It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TA-ANALYSIS: Olympics safe from Al-Queida Attacks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2004 @ 10:59 AM
link   
The Olympic games coming up in August are not thought to be threatened by al-Queida attacks. But does this leave room for attacks from other groups?

www.news.com.au...

"THE 2004 Olympic Games in Athens are not currently considered a target by the al-Qaeda extremist network, the leader of the radical Islamic group al-Mouhadjiroun said in remarks published today."

Many do not believe that the games in Athens will be dangerous, but Omar Bakri Mohammed warns that if, "the Greek government change positions and start getting more involved and supporting the US position against Muslims, at that point, yes, you will be in real danger."

After reading that excerpt, I thought to myself..."Nahhh...really?" Look at it this way, if ANY country changed posistions and joined the US they would be targeted. I never really thought that a large attack on the Olymic games would be attempted, seeing how many countries, harboring and not harboring terrorists, will be there.
But I guess this is reassuring to any ticket holders, athletes, and coaches planning on traveling to the games.
But the interesting thing about the article is that it does not confirm or deny that terrorist attacks from groups other than al-Quieda are feared.
One down, 500 to go?

More links to Olympic Game Safety:
www.greeknewsonline.com...

www.state.gov...

[Edited on 3-14-04 by Scat]

[Edited on 14-3-2004 by Nerdling]

[Edited on 16-3-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Mar, 14 2004 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Personally, I never saw a point to attacking the Olympic games, they are represented by so many countries with such a wide span of political views.

Plus, they'd be attacking abunch of gymnasts...I mean, do gymnasts really pose a threat to terrorism?

Note- Apologies to any gymnast activists who are planning on fighting terrorism with their acrobatic displays.

posted on Mar, 14 2004 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Keep in mind one of the main points of a terror attack is to not only kill but to scare and terrorize.

Seeing an attack at the opening or ending ceremonies would not only cause huge loss of life but it would be viewed by millions maybe a billion?

If Al Queda did it they could then say it was because America was there and cause the population of many countries to demand ties cut to us, another goal of terrorism, to isolate America.

Just a thought.

Hey new olympic event, suicide bomber throwing??

posted on Mar, 15 2004 @ 11:04 AM
link   
SURELY TH EOLYMPICS IN ATHENS WILL BE ONE OF THE BIGGEST TARGETS FOR TERRORISTS WORLDWIDE - FOR A START, JOE BLOGGS ON THE STREET WILL IMAGINE THE OLYMPICS TO BE ONE OF THE SAFEST PLACES ON THE PLANET. WHAT WITH INCREASED SECURITY AND BAG SEARCHES ETC - THE ABILITY TO SUCCESSFULLY BOMB THE OLYMPICS WOULD MAKE ALL MAN AND WOMAN WORRIED SLEEPING IN THEIR BEDS AT NIGHT. 3/11 AND 9/11 HAVE DEMONSTARTED THAT TERRORISM CAN STRIKE AT ANY TIME AND ANYWHERE, WHY NOT ATTACK THE LARGEST AND MOST SECURE / MOST WATCHED SPECTACLE ON EARTH.
IT WOULD MAKE SENSE AND CREATE THE LARGEST EXPOSURE OF TERRORISM TO THE WORLD YET.

posted on Mar, 15 2004 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Okay, Al Qaeda will not target the Olympics, but that doesn't mean the Games are safe.
www.highbeam.com...:80851944&refid=ink_key

At 4:30 a.m. on Sept. 5, 1972, five Palestinian Arabs dressed in tracksuits and carrying gym bags climbed a 6-foot-high security fence surrounding the Olympic Village in Munich, West Germany. The dozens of onlookers thought nothing of it as Olympic athletes often snuck out at night to enjoy the city life and slipped back in the early-morning hours.

top topics

join