It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Church of England to reunite with the Roman Catholics?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Vatican Considering Union Request From Anglicans, Giving Proposal "Serious Attention"
Am I reading this story right?

VATICAN CITY, JULY 30, 2008 (Zenit.org).- The Holy See is following with "serious attention" the request from the Traditional Anglican Communion for "full, corporate, sacramental union" with Rome.

This could upset alot of people and really get CiR buzzing.

Union Between Traditional Anglicans and Rome Nears

The Vatican has responded positively to proposals by the Traditional Anglican Communion to reunite with the Roman Catholic Church. An exchange of letters between Cardinal William Levada, prefect of the Catholic Church’s Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, and Archbishop John Hepworth, primate of the Traditional Anglican Communion, “shows warming relations between the two churches as they begin to consider proposals for corporate reunion,” the Catholic News Agency reported Wednesday.

For centuries many groups have fought to break away from the RCC and now the Anglicans are wanting to go back?

[edit on 1/8/2008 by VIKINGANT]

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Aw that's touching.

Anyway in all seriousness there's too many denominations in that religion, it's good if a couple of major ones reunite. Only several thousand more to go.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 12:40 AM
link   
If this does come to pass, I guess all the lives lost in Ireland over the years were for nothing?

Does this mean that Anglicans will now have to start and seeing Mary in their cornflakes and worshiping statues and stuff? Sorry, couldn’t help myself….but I got it out of my system.
Now where did I put that Catechism?

Seriously though, what I do want to know is, will this reduce or increase Catholic bashing on ATS and elsewhere? How do the regular C of E and RCC people feel about this merge?

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I guess with all meadia stories, it depends on who you talk to....

Cardinal Kasper, the president of the Pontifical Council for Christian Unity, gave a candid appraisal of Catholic-Anglican relations in his speech to the Lambeth Conference, which was published (in an Italian translation) in the Vatican daily newspaper, L'Osservatore Romano. The cardinal said that the doctrinal disputes that have divided the worldwide Anglican communion-- on issues such as the ordination of women and homosexuals-- have also caused a setback in Catholic-Anglican dialogue.

I love this quote....

However, the cardinal revealed that he had been taken aback when he was asked by the Archbishop of Canterbury to offer some reflections on "what kind of Anglicanism do you [the Vatican] want."

"What a question!" Cardinal Kasper remarked.

As casual as One lump or two.....?

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I am not from England, so I can not understand what is going on there.
But my understanding is that there is a church in England that the Queen is the head of.
If this is true, I do not see her giving that up.
She is named after someone who risked her life to maintain a Protestant Church in England.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Well the Church of England was the breakaway from the RCC which the Queen is currently the head of, but it is more a birth right than an active role. I really don't think she has any real Authority of how the church is run. The Pope on the other hand is 'elected' as someone who will goveern the church from Rome.

The High CofE is very much like the catholic curch any way so I dont think that much will change in that respect, but the smaller local churches operate very differently.

I am curious if this goes ahead will they keep operating as they do or change. IE Will Anglicans start attending mass, or confessions etc? Or as with other 'corporate merges' will they retain the separate 'brands' to keep the wider customer base?

new topics

top topics

join