It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS has young guy's tag but more members are over 31 years old

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Why does ATS have an 'image' of members who are young males under 24 when in fact there are more older members at ATS, the majority of ATS members are over 31 years of age!

So, why does ATS have that 'nerdy dude' image problem then?

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Not sure where you get the idea that ATS has that image.
Even those male members who are under 30 years of age just blow me away with their intelligence.
(Rockpuck)
(Chissler)

My image of guys under 24 is just hanging out with friends partying.
Not discussing politics , government, technology, and paranormal stuff.
All of our members, no matter what their age, are a cut above the norm.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I don't see an issue about this, according to the 2007 demographics we have a very diverse community.

It's great to see this wide variety of age groups here, whether they are discussing topics on ATS or just hanging out here in BTS.

[edit on 7/28/2008 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I'm not really sure where this image comes from, and I wasn't even aware of one. When I first joined ATS, I felt like I was in the presence of philosophers, intellectuals, and maybe even a decent world leader or two. I couldn't get over the level of discussion that was placed at my finger tips.

I was only 19 and I thought I stumbled across it twenty or thirty years to early.

Then I realized that everyone wasn't retired and a lot of the members were as young as fifteen and sixteen, some where twenties or thirties, and then we had our more "experienced" members.

I used to buy into these stereotypes and when I catch myself thinking it I try to stop, but I resent stereotypes against men and women who happen to be younger. Age is not an indication of maturity, whatsoever. Young people may be immature, but it's not due to their age. It's do to their lack of life experience. There are people who have walked this earth for quite some time that probably don't have the life experience of some people my age, maybe even younger.

I'd say most people are lucky enough to live a few years before they get their world turned upside down and are forced to mature. Others aren't as fortunate and mature beyond their years at a very young age.

It is nothing but a number. Put any more stock into than that and you're only fooling yourself.

[edit on 28-7-2008 by chissler]

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
I don't see an issue about this, according to the 2007 demographics we have a very diverse community.

[edit on 7/28/2008 by JacKatMtn]

You will note that what I said what that the MAJORITY of members are over 31 years of age, and they are. Add up the percentages from the pie chart and you'll see I'm correct.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by UFOpsychiczebra

I am not saying that you were wrong, but I still don't see your point, actually I have never heard of the image you are trying to portray.

Is this your own assessment or does this come from an actual image here?

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
Not sure where you get the idea that ATS has that image.
Even those male members who are under 30 years of age just blow me away with their intelligence.

It isn't my image of it, it's the reaction I get from others. You'd be surprised what 'normal' people think of ATSers!
Also, I did NOT say anything at all about intelligence of younger or older members.

This thread is a good example of how outsiders see ATS. NOTE, obviously I know it is an ATS member who has posted the thread.

www.belowtopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn

I am not saying that you were wrong, but I still don't see your point, actually I have never heard of the image you are trying to portray.

Is this your own assessment or does this come from an actual image here?

What gives you the impression I am trying to 'portray' anything? All I am stating are the facts. The Majority at ATS are over 31 years of age. The rest of your query is answered already in the post above in reply to Accessdenied.

Why are you getting defensive about this? I don't understand why anyone has a problem with that statistic?

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   

I see, yes there are normal people who find the topics here out there, when in reality it's just a great place to explore and wonder.

I have friends who chuckle when I talk about some of the things here, not everyone is ready to open up and see if their beliefs can handle being challenged now and then.

It's a comfortable place to be thinking you know it all and have everything under control.

It can get a little uncomfortable finding out some of things you were so sure about become cloudy once you gain other perspectives.

As far as the thread, I think a little sarcasm and humor is definitely something we should enjoy on a daily basis.

Thanks for clearing up your point for me.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by UFOpsychiczebra
You'd be surprised what 'normal' people think of ATSers!

Don't get me started!

But it is a great point that you make here. I googled "conspiracy" and "conspiracy theory" last night and peaked around at some sites that come that were not ATS. For the most part, the term "crazy" is relatively synonymous with the term "conspiracy".

That's unfortunate.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by chissler

It is unfortunate. But maybe ATS's demographics can make a difference. If people are aware that more people like them are 'into that stuff' it could bring a more diverse population into the subject and make it more into the mainstream.

Surely that is a good thing?

So lets make the demographics more, not less, obvious to the average lurker at ATS.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I like the fact that this forum has a lot of older members. Although I feel that the majority of the members here are mature minded no matter what their age is, it's disappointing to see some people that just can't handle a difference in opinion.

Over all I give this forum an eight thumbs up. My two, my girlfriends two, my cats two and her cats two!

I jumped from forum to forum trying to find one that didn't just down right piss me off by the lame young flamers. Granted the topic here get way out there, but the stuff that I'm interested in an believe in are pretty far out there also.

I haven't had time to search or read on what I like and that is Ghost/Spirits & The Paranormal!

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   

more older members at ATS, the majority of ATS members are over 31 years of age!

Old? Wait a second I'm 31 and consider myself young.

Anyways, I don't see anything unusual about the pie chart. It's normal for people to have deeper thoughts and get into politics after age 18.... it's part of growing up and the chart reflects this.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I feel left out, I'm 322 years old, it's like you guys don't take me into consideration.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
I feel left out, I'm 322 years old, it's like you guys don't take me into consideration.

LOL.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by chissler

The Powers that be woefully want it this way to help, downplay debunk and label anyone with outside views as a "nutjob!" ...and it seems like they have done a good job and getting that response.

you agree?

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

Wow, can you tell me what really was going on during the industrial revolution I am strill trying ot figure out that mass production thing!
(just kidding phoenix
)

...sorry mods I had too!...

[edit on 29-7-2008 by theability]

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
(Rockpuck)
(Chissler)

(NovusOrdoMundi)

reply to post by JacKatMtn

8% under 13? With 39,178 respondents, that means about 3,100 of those were/are under 13.

I'm not so sure thats accurate. I think some people were attempting to be funny.

new topics

top topics

join