It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats the deal with every one talking about vampires?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 03:47 AM
link   
What is this obsession with people and vampires. Last time I checked people on forums like these where talking about Bigfoot, or Chupacabra. What ever happened to that?

While Im at it, what are your thoughts on Vampires?

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Yes I have noticed that too and I find it EXTREMELY annoying. vampires have nothing to do with cryptozoology or any other topic outside of science fiction for that matter. Theres no such thing as vampires and werewolves and it boggles my mind to know people are actually convinced they exist.
I personally think people have been watching to much buffy and other shows.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 04:50 AM
link   
It is my contention that there ARE in fact vampires.

They have just been warped in our minds by movies and books. They do not have long canine teeth and do not bite the necks of virgins to drink their blood. They don´t wear capes or talk with ridiculous transsylvanian accents. Nor do thet change into bats, sleep in coffins or live forever. (although there IS one out there who fits the previous description, who also like s to count out loud for some reason).

REAL vampires are people who knowingly or unknowingly feed off your energy (interpreted as drinking blood). We all know people like this. Encounters with them leave you feeling drained of energy, apathetic and confused. These people carry a negative energy around them (interpreted as the cloak).
I have also noticed that these people often look younger than they are, possibly as a result of the energy they steal, which may also explain the immortality myth.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by MrRobarto

acthualy your partialy correct what most modern people think of when they think of vampires is preety much all created from works of fiction and hollywood movies so far altered they no longer resemble the acthual history or folk lore on the matter.

but vampires in one form or another have been described by preety much every society in history. many of the acthual accounts and legends of vampires may have some basis in truth relating to creatures that can be considered cryptids. frankly the line between "mythical beasts" and supernatural or paranormal beings is a very fine line .

besides this is the forum that ats belives these entites fall under so its where they are discussed. but it would be nice that if some one was going to post about vampires or lycanthropes they would do a search and post in a already established theread unless they had a unique or new angle for the discussion.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by MrRobarto

Tell that to the witnesses who saw werewolves in Wisconsin. They described a tall (6 to 7 feet) upright wolf like creature. They were on the show Monster Quest and all passed lie detector tests. I am not saying they are Lon Chaney or that type of wolfman, but they are an unknown creature.
As the other posters stated, there are some very good vampire encounters out there. Until it is known what or who they are, this is the forum. It does state Mythical Beasts, and if you think they are myth, they belong here.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Psychopump

Oh yeah, i believe you're on to something there... While i don't actually know anybody like that (energy vampires), i did meet them a few times in my life. NOT a pleasant experience.

I'm one of those sensitive persons that feels when somebody's looking at them, in the subway for instance. I can feel if a stranger just glanced at me for a second. But sometimes i notice people staring at me, for a longer time, and that's when it get weirder. Most of the time i end up having a huuuuge headache, yawning like crazy and very nauseaous. It really feels like i'm about to die, not just your regular "i didn't drink enough coffee today" type of headache.

I think these energy vampires might not even be aware of the fact that they're draining other people of energy.

I guess this is what the "evil eye curse" is about. But i'm not really sure if it's also the source of the vampire myth. IMO the vampire as we understand it is just an invention of Bram Stocker, based loosely on balkan myths of "walking deads", sort of zombies that had to be impaled through the heart, but that didn't drink blood.

Edited to say i'm actually embarassed of admitting that i believe in "the evil eye", but hey, this is ATS!

[edit on 27-7-2008 by Wallachian]

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Psychopump
REAL vampires are people who knowingly or unknowingly feed off your energy (interpreted as drinking blood). We all know people like this. Encounters with them leave you feeling drained of energy, apathetic and confused. These people carry a negative energy around them (interpreted as the cloak).

But if this is true then this subject belongs in the paranormal section.

If vampires are people who suck energy they are NOT a different species and as such are just humans with unsual powers.

Vas

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Even the undead need love too. What with changing into cute bats and stuff. The sharp pointy fangs.
Vlad the Impaler wasn't such a bad guy. Just got in with the wrong crowd.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

Well, that depends on who you ask, and what crowd they're part of. In the place that is now Transylvania- it still is, right?- he is still thought of as a hero, for fighting fiercely and using those blood-related methods to scare away enemies. [Edit to ADD: it wasn't his fault he fell in with the wrong crowd, either. He was handed over to his father's enemy in the first place, learning early on how little people valued the lives of others. Later on, it wasn't him being in the wrong crowd, but rather ~fiercely~ protecting the land he presided over. I don't suppose anyone here bothers to read about this stuff?]

Anyway, occasionally it is discussed in the paranormal forum, because it is paranormal as well, but they are considered, hmm, creatures, in a way?
I for one really like the vampire threads, because theirs is one type of mythology i find interesting. I believe there is some truth to all myths, and there is a vampire myth for every country- or most~try to find me a country without some sort of vampire myth. There are almost as many for werewolves.

Oh, and about energy types: There are many, many aware. But yes, there are that many more clueless.

[edit on 28-7-2008 by Levita]

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 01:49 AM
link   
If I saw corpses hanging from trees and shishcabbobed on the roads that might have a pyschological effect on me. I read a lot about Vlad last year for some reason, curiosity I suppose.
The thing that stands out in my mind when he ran out foes to do a high colonic on he would torture and mutilate animals. Dogs, cats mostly.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Psychopump
I have also noticed that these people often look younger than they are, possibly as a result of the energy they steal, which may also explain the immortality myth.

It's strange that you say that. I hear that I look a lot younger than I look a lot of the time and I often say I'm younger than I really am so that it doesn't sound like I'm such a big liar. I don't know why so many have been talking about vampires. I'm wondering myself why so many streetlights blinked off when I was next to them last night and I found myself suddenly really dizzy and sweating like crazy today when I wasn't doing anything. It all started shortly after telling someone about some ghosts. Am I an energy vampire or did I pick up some unseen visitors last night? I don't have a clue. I'll probably feel normal in the morning after I get more sleep. I hope.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

Even the undead need love too.

HAHA!! I may make that my signature.

On a more serious note, there is some truth to that statement. Some vampire stories involve husbands coming back from the dead and engaging in "marrital duties" with their wives and the intensity and length of these activities would exhaust and kill the wife.

I'm looking up my source for that but can't find it. If I do, I'll post it.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Other times, there were spouses who would come back just to abuse their wives. Some such attacks did leave the spouses to bleed, wasting away over time. Others had not much at all to do with blood, or even people at all.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ngtank

No such thing as vampires on this planet, bunch of stories made up by simpletons throughout history. The stories about encounters with "energy vampires" crack me up the most. I get a kick out of people who think they are a vampire of any sort or those who feel they were exposed to and manipulated by one of those imaginary things. How lame is your life? That is the only question I have for such people.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 10:16 PM
link   
What's the deal with everyone here at ATS saying "what's the deal"? Does Jerry Seinfeld post here?

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Yes! Thankyou! I was just about to ask the same thing: What IS "the deal" with this thread in the first place? Some of us have to justify our thoughts on creatures that have been documented, in one form or another, in every country throughout the world? Some people's lives are so lame they have to make such comments?

Oh, and i'd like to know how jitombe would deal with becoming an energy supplier for one of those psis! Only hypothetically, of course; it would be darn funny.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Vampires totally suck too! Thats not supposed to be a joke serioulsly vampires such they are the lamest myth. Anyone who says technically they do exist and they are vampires cause they are wierd enough to enjoy drinking blood is a nut! Im sorry but to be a vampire you also have to be able to turn into a bat and be afraid of garlic..... sooo no vampires cause people cant do that

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by LetsTouch
Vampires totally suck too! Thats not supposed to be a joke serioulsly vampires such they are the lamest myth. Anyone who says technically they do exist and they are vampires cause they are wierd enough to enjoy drinking blood is a nut! Im sorry but to be a vampire you also have to be able to turn into a bat and be afraid of garlic..... sooo no vampires cause people cant do that

Yeah, right.

And "Animal farm" was really about a bunch of talking farm animals.
Sometimes you have to read between the lines of a good story to uncover it´s true meaning.

[edit on 30-7-2008 by Psychopump]

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Speaking of vampires, Jonny Depp is going to be in a big screen version of "Dark Shadows". That should be interesting.

Vampires have been around for thousands of years in legends and myths. Legends and myths are based on some types of truths.

Who says vampires have to be afraid of garlic? Or turn into a bat?
If a vampire has other powers, it may be able to transform into another creature.

[edit on 7/30/2008 by kidflash2008]

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by LetsTouch

you seem to know very lil about the worlds vampire myths and folklore. first of the garlic thing is almost exsclusivly eastern euoropean vampires. here is some examples of vampires from around the world copied from another post i did. vampires are extremly varied in differing parts of the world.

in ancient Sumaria there was the ekimmu a form of phantom psychic vampires who were created by a violent death or improper burial.

one Hindu vampire called the langsuir was created when a woman would die soon after discovering her baby was stillborn and she didn't have fangs she sucked blood through a hole in the back of her neck and could even become human again if someone cut her hair and nails and stuffed them in the hole in her neck.

the Tibetan book of the dead describes 58 blood drinking deities that live in underworld they were referred to as those wrathful deities.

there's also 3 related vampires. these are the hantu saburo a vampire who commands packs of dogs to hunt his victims then feeds, the next is the hantu dodong who lives in caves and feeds off the blood of animals. finally there's the hantu parl who searches for wounded people and then drinks there blood while there helpless

moving on to china we come to the chiang-shih a nocturnal creature who was created by a person dying a violent death with his spirit unable to be at peace he would rise and hunt down his victims and rip them to shreds and feed on them, he was also hard to catch or confront because he could fly, its similar to some western vamps in the respect that garlic and running water would keep them away and fire was generally considered the best way to kill them, the strangest thing about this variation of vamp is they cant dig out of their grave it would have to escape before its body had been buried.

going south in the pacific to Australia the aboriginal people believed in a strange vampire that wasn't undead or even human it was called yara-ma-yha-who it was a short creature who lived in fig trees and would jump out on to people and attack them with its suction cup like fingers sucking the victims blood.

there you have a very small selection of various vampires from non western areas as the western especially the European vampires are easy enough to find loads of folk lore on. you see unlike the movies that Hollywood has produced and the imaginations of fiction writers which have very lil in common with most folklore and history of vampirism, the vampire is not a tragic anti-hero seducing young men and woman and bemoaning their solitary existence in the shadows (oh the angst, woe is me). the real history of vampires is varied and sometimes horrific and sometimes sacred as with the Tibetan and Nepalese lords of death or the Hindu goddess of death and rebirth kali.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join