It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS possible subconscious negative message.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Ok don't shoot me down, just yet.

I am a masters student and for several hours was researching a subject when the mood to see what was happening on ATS overtook me and well youve been there.

Looking at the new posts page - just read the thread headlines down the page and in my case I pickup up on keywords along the lines of:

Can't take punishment, US general warns, Manipulation, ufo invasion, everyone is insane and survive................

As you read down you pickout words our minds are taking in these headlines and processing them at some level, subconsciously could all this negative input be harming us or causing mild depression.

This is not a fact just a possibilioty anyone else had similar thoughts?

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I guess that would work if your just refreshing the recent posts button.

Those people who are into 1 or more subjects on this site may tend to stick to the categories that hold their interests though.

Have you tried using this effect with each category independently?

[edit on 23-7-2008 by TwiTcHomatic]

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I feel ya.

Somedays the list can make my stomach feel sick, but usually it's ok

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   
No I tend to stick to recent posts for variety and noticed for some reason tonight that random negative words appeared to stand out more (if you kinda unfocus a bit like the 3d picture puzzles) I may be wrong, its just interesting to me.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I frequent a lot of forums that are shifted towards survivalism, fringe, conspiracy...... and my guilty pleasure -- weather, which, of course, includes Earth changes. I find that I have stepped away from all of them from time to time, as I don't want to become even more desensetized than I am. I want to feel these issues, and sometimes can feel bombarded by badness. Likewise for the "news". I put that in quotes, as I think real and informative news died long ago, to be replace by a sensationalized and slanted view. I choose to not be forcefed political slants, and since I no longer need a traffic report, nor smushy weather put forth by the shiny person of the day, news is a gonner.

I think what you're talking about is almost a subconscious "meme" of the times, that an overall message is put forth by members of a forum, that, when viewed from a distance, appears to project a message of (and I'm going to use a word that was inspired by Stephen Colbert) -- doominess. I think when you actually get inside the forums, you find that it's a reflection of what is pressing or important to us all, and I think that symbolism runs rampant. I think that's a good thing. I think we can convey deep meanings largely with symbols or other representative ideas. It seems to me that people have always been concerned with ideas outside of the mainstream, and I think a lot of truth lies there -- so we accept the impossible with the improbable to find the possible.

Interesting notions OP. Cheers

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
p.s. took me a second or two to figure out what was familiar about your avatar.....

I guess you recognize the last bit of my sig. Onward.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   
ok here we go I'll try it

Do not watch-protest-middle class-everyone-made-UFO-INVASION-SHOCKING-radiation-old-abducted-anyone-proof-ATS-wonder-Obama-hackers-Extra-Teristrail-CNN-moon-America-F-23-Ghost-uk nown soldier-veterans-why-thanks-court-am i-real life-science-angel-hidden-fight-child rape-blind-I want out-attack america-cults

these caught my eye in the order I read them going down the line
hey maybe it's some kind of message

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Interesting. You pick out entirely different things that I do. Not good or bad, just different. I think this goes along with what I was saying before, that we are all part of an interactive meme, a microcosm of a certain segment of the global population, and this language we use to describe our experiences and views ........ it's becoming more mainstream (IMO).

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

But I do agree with the OP some days it's entirely negative

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Well, I don't log onto ATS to read about Mrs Mables latest tips on tea on scones.

I could see a post about massive nuclear mutant aliens landing and still think "so what," because it's most likely BS.

Although, it is challenging to have a logical argument with a lot of people on ATS - it's very black and white.

Obama or Islam (yes, an entire religion) being the antichrist, for instance

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Maybe, and I'm just saying....... maybe it's more what we focus on. I agree with you, sometimes I see the recent posts here, and on other sites, and it just seems filled with doom. Other times, I go back to the same place, and find little gems. I think for myself, it depends more on my mindset at the time -- whether I see the gems.

Good chattin' with you Slayer. I'm off now to make a home-grown dinner.

Cheers

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Do and hope (the clans are gathering Mr Matheson) If you take several threads you do get sensible messages however you are arranging the words or are you?

What worries me is long time exposure - a long time ago I posted a board question should ATS come with a (mental) health warning.................

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Munro_DreadGod

Like in the movie "They Live" I believe there is subliminal "mind controlling" going on big time at present. Explains why so many people just blankly accept all the injustices and insane way our society is operating now.

Our brain is a organic computer and there's various ways to "reprogram" it without the person being aware of it. Our brains can pick up stuff embedded that our eyes and ears are aware of on a subconscious level.

I'm curious as to why the government is requiring digital signal tv vs analog by Feburary 2009?

Can more subliminal data be embedded in a digital vs analog signal? (I'm not an engineer so maybe someone out there can shed some light on this. I have a feeling there's a underlying agenda to this digital TV signal being required, but maybe I'm paranoid.

I believe the new battlefield of the modern age is the brain.

Manipulate the mass public and you have good little serfs that aren't even aware they're being controlled.

The possibilities are endless.

In a recent experiment, psychologists at Yale altered people’s judgments of a stranger by handing them a cup of coffee.

The study participants, college students, had no idea that their social instincts were being deliberately manipulated. On the way to the laboratory, they had bumped into a laboratory assistant, who was holding textbooks, a clipboard, papers and a cup of hot or iced coffee — and asked for a hand with the cup.

That was all it took: The students who held a cup of iced coffee rated a hypothetical person they later read about as being much colder, less social and more selfish than did their fellow students, who had momentarily held a cup of hot java.

Findings like this one, as improbable as they seem, have poured forth in psychological research over the last few years. New studies have found that people tidy up more thoroughly when there’s a faint tang of cleaning liquid in the air; they become more competitive if there’s a briefcase in sight, or more cooperative if they glimpse words like “dependable” and “support” — all without being aware of the change, or what prompted it.

Psychologists say that “priming” people in this way is not some form of hypnotism, or even subliminal seduction; rather, it’s a demonstration of how everyday sights, smells and sounds can selectively activate goals or motives that people already have.

More fundamentally, the new studies reveal a subconscious brain that is far more active, purposeful and independent than previously known. Goals, whether to eat, mate or devour an iced latte, are like neural software programs that can only be run one at a time, and the unconscious is perfectly capable of running the program it chooses.

www.nytimes.com...

Site below talks about Mass Mind Control through TV.

www.rense.com...

[edit on 4-12-2008 by ofhumandescent]

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I think such anomalies are to be expected on a conspiracy site.

Conspiracy Theory is reactionary by definition. Without a percieved outside initiating event there is no conspiracy theory.
Conspiracy Theory therefore tends to be negative.

Conspiracy Theory also tends to be populist. It's an information-seeking activity. It's entire foundation is the belief that information is being hidden. That encourages extrapolation from available information from an outsiders versus insiders point of view that appeals to the unaffiliated and scapegoats those with connections based on popular news items.
A conspiracy theory therefore tends to draw upon a fairly predictable and actually fairly small pool of alleged perpetrators and victims.

You can cookie-cutter conspiracy theory topics all day long and get a lot of almost coherent "bad guy, sinister act, victim" type statements. I think it's just the nature of the beast; nothing intentional.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Munro_DreadGod

Yeah, great...do you have any fresh doom or not?

One line for rhetorical zest.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   
It might be a spillover of the medias "If it bleeds it leads" mentality.
Possibly a bit of overcompensation in the thread title to get some attention or catch somebodys eye.

It seems like the recent posts screen is the most depressing.
If I look at individual forums and do searches I see more positive posts. I think that the more pedestrian titles just end up getting less attention.

new topics

top topics

join