It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stunning Speach by Barack Obama.......

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I enjoyed how he said that individual nations need to be the ones taking on terrorist organizations, and he even pointed to Pakistan. He also said, that if those countries did nothing, we would still take actions on high level terrorists like Osama bin Laden, if we have him in our sights.

That's a good start....

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Thanks BH! I was completely exhausted last night when I tried to watch it.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   
WOW

one of my threads made it to the main page

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Well, I listened to the speech. This is what I got out of it.

I heard the ground work being laid for higher taxes to fund these multi-multi-billion dollar agendas and I heard that his presidency will consist of continuing to police the world with a strong show of military occupation.

So, up go taxes and we are still going to be at war with the world.

Then, I heard a bit of stupidity when he alluded to the fast way in which we ended the Gulf War. That one only ended as quickly as it did because scenes of the Highway of Death choked the nation. Not to mention the fact that our goal was to get Sadam out of Kuwait, not out of power.
If the Gulf War had included the latter, we would have been going through this same hell in the late 90s that we are going through right now and I would probably have spent 6 years instead of 6 months in the Middle East.

I do appreciate his desire to strengthen relations with so many countries, turn Iraq over to the Iraqis, and to aid poverty ridden countries, but I think it is too little too late.
Diplomacy with the US from any countries view is going to be strained right now, even coming from a new POTUS because of the conduct of the recent decades. Iraq is not going to be a strong united country until they face down the various divides that exist within their own society, to the point of civil war without the interference of outside forces (like so many other countries have had to go through). It is a growing pain that has to be suffered. Finally, sending money to poor nations for aid only makes the political and military leaders there more weathy, as most of that aid never gets past the outer steps of the consulate.

Lofty goals, same problems.
Good speech, still a politician.
Best interests, depends on the crowd in attendance.

The worst of it is that whether McCain or Obama, we are still going to get screwed.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I was really impressed with this speech and it made me wonder how long he had rehearsed it and additional speech tomorrow.

Then I got curious. Why today of all days?

Lets focus on historical fact involving July 21.

St Pontianus begins his reign as Catholic Pope 21/07/0230

Alexandria hit by earthquake and 50,000 die 21/07/0365

John appointed bishop of the kingdom 21/07/0866

Holy Roman Catholic emperor Louis III captured 21/07/0905

Peterus Lombardus, Italian theologist/bishop of Paris, dies 21/07/1160

Count Louis of Nevers marries 8-year old daughter of Philips V 21/07/1320

Manuel Paleologus, Byzantine Emperor (1391-1425)/writer, dies -1425

St Philippus Nerius, [Philippo Neri], Italian merchant/priest is born -1515

John I Z�polyai, prince of Transsylvania/king of Hungary, dies -1540

Pope Paul III begins inquisition against Protestants (Sactum Officium) -1542

skipping some... English fleet defeats Spanish armada 1588

John Lockes Constitution of English colony Carolina approved 1669

Napoleon Bonaparte wins Battle of Pyramids in Egypt 1798

Victor Schoelcher, Guadeloupe, abolished french slavery 1804

Belgium gains independence from Netherlands, Leopold I made king 1831

Monkey Trial ends-John Scopes found guilty of teaching Darwinism 1925

Soviet Union annexes Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania 1940

200 Jewish Torahs are burned in Ukraine 1941

Himmler orders building of Majdanek concentration camp 1941

General Koiso becomes premier of Japan 1944

US forces land on Guam to get rid of Japanese invaders 1944

Von Kluge warns Hitler of impending collapse of front in Normandy 1944

Indonesia begins 1st political election 1947

The U.S. Senate ratified the North Atlantic Treaty. 1949

Dalai Lama returns to Tibet 1951

7.8 earthquake shakes Kern County Calif, 14 killed 1952

1st sub powered by liquid metal cooled reactor launched-Seawolf 1955

US performs atmospheric nuclear Test at Enwetak 1956

1st black to win a major US tennis tournament (Althea Gibson) 1957

1st nuclear powered merchant ship, NS Savannah, christened, Camden NJ 1959

Red Sox are last team to use a black player (Pumpsie Green) 1959

Country of Katanga forms in Africa 1960

160 civil right activists jailed after demonstration in Albany Ga 1962

Pakistan, Iran and Turkey sign Regional Co-Operation pact 1965

USSR performs nuclear Test at Eastern Kazakh/Semipalitinsk USSR 1966

Albert J Luthuli, president South Africa (ANC), dies 1967

Neil Armstrong steps on Moon at 2:56:15 AM (GMT) 1969

Russia's Luna 15 impacts moon after 52 lunar orbits 1969

Libya orders confiscation of all Jewish property 1970

US performs nuclear Test at Nevada Test Site 1971

Bloody Friday: 22 IRA-bombs explode in Belfast 1972

In NY, 57 murders occur in 24 hours 1972

France performs nuclear Test at Muruora Atoll un the Pacific 1973

USSR launches Mars 4 for fly-by (2600 km) of red planet 1973

House Judiciary approves 2 Articles of Impeachment against Pres Nixon 1974

Christopher Ewart-Biggs, British ambassador to Ireland, assassinated 1976

Libyan-Egyptian border fights 1977

Bolivia milt coup under general Juan Pereda, pres Hugo Banzer flees 1978

Polish govt ends 19 months of martial law 1983

1st documented case of a robot killing a human in US 1984

USSR performs underground nuclear Test 1984

Pleasure Island plans unveiled 1986

Paulo Correia, Guinee-Bissaus colonel/putschist, executed 1986

ESA's Ariane-3 launches 2 communications satellites (1 Indian) 1988

Pink Floyds' "Wall" is performed where Berlin Wall once stood 1990

NY Yank Mike Whiton held in Milwaukee on charges of sexual assault 1997

WorldCom filed for bankruptcy, the largest bankruptcy in U.S. history. 2002

and much more here:

www.worldofquotes.com...

www.infoplease.com...

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   
That's cool. He gave the speech on July 15, though.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I knew that...but I was dumbed down after watching over 30 minutes of this fantasy it seemed that since I viewed it today, and tomorrow would've been the 16th it is still appropriate.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by jetxnet
I guess the first step in leading America is to blame America for 9/11 as Obama has done.

You are SOOO Off base. Obama is not "Blaming America for 9/11" He is "Blaming the Bush WH for a poor response to 9/11"

There is a huge difference, and if you don't understand this, then you are pitiful and ignorant.

[edit on 21-7-2008 by Quazga]

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
its a shame we cant just see a good person, as a good person.

iv always believed, that is the 2nd coming was to happen tomorrow, and jesus was to appear, we would kill him or lock him up.

our ability to trust is gone.
we just presume we are being lied to, and sadly, its all we get.

a lot of people are looking to Obama to change things.

lets home he can

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by jetxnet

You are EXACTLY right. The reason why America has been fortunate enough to not host many wars on its soil is because we have the strongest weapons. People don't want to fight us. We're the biggest dog. If we don't have the strongest weapons anymore, there is no reason to not fight us anymore. All the anti-military, anti-defense, anti-security nutjobs fail to realize that if we DON'T spend the money building up our arsenal, we constantly increase our chances of being attacked, and when we are attacked, we won't be able to defend ourselves!

All these anti-military nutjobs are suicidal. They curse the very thing that keeps us safe and allows them to live in their own idealistic bubble - an incredibly powerful military.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   

can we please call him "ANTI WAR"

Whoa!!!

Obama is not anti-war. Dennis Kucinich is anti-war. Ron Paul is anti-war. Barack Obama is just anti-this particular war due to its unpopularity. People that are for Obama because of this are fooling themselves. You have drank the kool-aid and asked for more.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
The most important quote from Obama's speech:

We could have invested hundreds of billions of dollars in alternative sources of energy to grow our economy, save our planet, and end the tyranny of oil.

This is the heart of the agenda that's about to be imposed on us. It doesn't matter what the facts are, or what's best for the country. No matter what happens Obama and the Dems are committed to making sure the price of oil stays high so the people who pull the levers make hundreds of millions on their alternative energy investments.

-Obama is backed by the people who run Perseus LLC.
-Perseus LLC is partnered with George Soros.
-Soros funded MoveOn.org, which back Obama.
-Soros and Perseus are heavily invested in alternative energy companies.
-Obama is being advised by Zbigniew and Mark Brzezinksi.
-Mark Brzezinski is partner of McGuire Woords law firm.
-McGuire Woods Chairman and Perseus Vice Chairman sit on board of Smithfield Foods.
-Smithfield Foods is stands to be leading producer of biofuels.
-Obama pledges to invest hundreds of billions in sector that his backers are invested.

Is this really that complicated?

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
What I didnt hear was any recognition that some of the things the World Bank (part of the Marshall plan he is so fond of) push as an agenda contribute to war and the suffering of people around the globe.

I did not hear anything about why Iraq was on the agenda long before 9-11. Nor did I hear any indication that he thought we should turn the country (and its resources) back over to the citizens of that country (whether we like their brand of governance or no) and let them do as they will with their resources.

It was a good speech, and I was envisioning him standing in his underwear at home in front of the mirror practicing it. He is a good speaker, and charismatic, and what he says is soothing. It just doesnt convince me he isnt just a smoother version of business as usual.

Thank you for posting it though Shauny. It was nice to watch, and I do understand why he is so popular.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by jetxnet

Why is it that those who believe 9/11 could have been prevented are labeled Anti-American. The only Anti-Americans is our own government. I believe you are against America if you believe our troops should stay over there. Longer we stay the more troops die bottom.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by DINSTAAR

can we please call him "ANTI WAR"

Whoa!!!

Obama is not anti-war. Dennis Kucinich is anti-war. Ron Paul is anti-war. Barack Obama is just anti-this particular war due to its unpopularity. People that are for Obama because of this are fooling themselves. You have drank the kool-aid and asked for more.

HAHAH... You are the foolish one if you believe Obama doesn't like this war because it is unpopular.

Unpopular?

How about these reasons:

1. It's draining our funds.
2. It's no where near where Osama is
3. We have no military left to fight another war
4. It was started without ANY FORETHOUGHT as to how to end it

I could go on, but You get the point.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
I did not hear anything about why Iraq was on the agenda long before 9-11.

My take on this is that if he DID talk about all those things, he wouldn't have as much "acceptance" as he does now. The man is running for president. If he spoke publicly about the stuff in your post, he would be another Ron Paul, ostracized to the sidelines of this election as a conspiracy nut or "too radical".

Obama is walking a line. He can't go too far either way or he'll be out of this thing.
That's what I think, FWIW. (about 2 cents)

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
My take on this is that if he DID talk about all those things, he wouldn't have as much "acceptance" as he does now. The man is running for president. If he spoke publicly about the stuff in your post, he would be another Ron Paul, ostracized to the sidelines of this election as a conspiracy nut or "too radical".

Obama is walking a line. He can't go too far either way or he'll be out of this thing.
So what essentially your saying is: "the ends justify the means"? It's okay for Obama to intentionally misrepresent himself to the voters simply so he can win the election?

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Fair enough, Benevolent.
You know I am skeptical of Obama, but I definitely see your point. I know the kind of honestly I would LIKE to see is very difficult to come by in the political world.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by LLoyd45
So what essentially your saying is: "the ends justify the means"? It's okay for Obama to intentionally misrepresent himself to the voters simply so he can win the election?

Are you asking me what I said? Because it's right there - I said what I said. If you need help reading, I can't help you. Maybe you should read it again. But I'll thank you not to put words in my mouth.

So, did you have something to say about the "Stunning Speech by Barack Obama (which is the topic of this thread)? Or did you want to put words in my mouth some more?

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
I know the kind of honestly I would LIKE to see is very difficult to come by in the political world.

That's for sure! It's hard to come by in a life partner or best friend, let alone a politician.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join