It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. troops kill son of Iraqi governor

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 08:45 AM
link   

U.S. troops kill son of Iraqi governor

news.yahoo.com

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - U.S. forces shot dead the 17-year-old son and another relative of the governor of northern Iraq's Salahuddin province in a raid on Sunday, local officials said.

The U.S. military said it shot two armed, adding it was later found they were both related to the governor.

Governor Hamad al-Qaisi's brother, Lieutenant-Colonel Saad al-Qaisi, said American troops stormed a family house in the town of Beiji, where the governor's son Hussam and his cousin were staying.

"They shot dead Hussam and wounded three others. This is barbaric and inhuman," he said.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.cnn.com

[edit on 20-7-2008 by The_Alarmist2012]

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 08:45 AM
link   
US military claims that there was an Al-Qaeda financier in the house. Of course, it is always Al-Qaeda isn't it?

I wonder with the Iraqis asking for a "time horizon" for a US pull out, and with presidential candidate Obama expected to visit Iraq what affect with this news have?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Is it possible that this was planned by the U.S. military to raise the violence level in Iraq?

Or to further complicate things prior to the Obama visit, and high level talks between the U.S. and Iraq over a time horizon for a troop pull out?

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Shock horror, could it be that the government contains alot of anti-US operaters who plan and finace attacks against US forces?

If they were armed and fighting, they deserved getting taken out. That its a governers son means that the son was a terrorist and got what was coming. Question is now how reliable is the father?

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dan Tanna
Question is now how reliable is the father?

I'm not sure, there isn't a whole lot on the father (Governor) I did find a story from last year where he survived an assassination attempt here:

www.reuters.com...

Some of the details surrounding that event seem rather suspicious as well.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Dan Tanna

in a country where the family members of officials are targeted by insurgents?
is anyone supprised these people were armed?

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   
One thing I find rather odd about this story, is that they say U.S. troops stormed a family house where they believed there was an Al-Qaeda financier... "family house" of an Iraqi Governor?

Don't you think they would know that was a family house of a Governor?

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by The_Alarmist2012
One thing I find rather odd about this story, is that they say U.S. troops stormed a family house where they believed there was an Al-Qaeda financier... "family house" of an Iraqi Governor?

Don't you think they would know that was a family house of a Governor?

That does seem rather odd,

I tend to agree that maybe they needed to shake things up a bit, or just a little trigger happy. (tense situations, everyone being armed).

However, there also could be a legitimate reason for this, however unlikely it may seem.

Peace

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   

If they were armed and fighting, they deserved getting taken out.

If a load of guys with guns busted into your home, im sure you would reach for your gun (if you have one) for protection. That doesn't mean YOU deserve to be killed... so why did they deserve it?

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by LestatG
I tend to agree that maybe they needed to shake things up a bit, or just a little trigger happy. (tense situations, everyone being armed).

From the news yesterday:

Iraq PM wants troops out 'as soon as possible'

Prolonging their stay 'would cause problems,' al-Maliki says in interview

www.msnbc.msn.com...

BAGHDAD - Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki says U.S. troops should leave Iraq "as soon as possible," according to a magazine report in which he also called presidential candidate Barack Obama's suggestion of 16 months "the right timeframe for a withdrawal."

In an interview with Germany's Der Spiegel magazine released Saturday, al-Maliki said he was not seeking to endorse Obama. The Illinois senator and likely Democratic nominee has pledged to withdraw combat troops from Iraq within 16 months if he is elected.

A day after this news the military raids a "family home" of an Iraqi governor?

Coincidence?

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
To true, very hard to believe coincidence a day after that story broke. I was not aware of that piece of news but seems to fit the bill after reading.

When will the madness end??

poss 2012

Peace

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dermo
If a load of guys with guns busted into your home, im sure you would reach for your gun (if you have one) for protection. That doesn't mean YOU deserve to be killed... so why did they deserve it?

In that scenario you did deserve it because there was an al-qaeda boogieman hiding in your family house. Or at least that is what the military is apparently using for justification in this case.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Is it possible that a raid like this involving a high profile Iraqi Governor's son will bring a new round of intense reprisals and elevated violence?

If they did know this was the governor's family house, maybe the desired result will be increased reason for violence?

An interesting breaking report....

Bush adviser says Iraq timeline "very dangerous"

news.yahoo.com...;_ylt=A0WTcU_Pc4NIfnkAxiBZ.3QA

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President George W. Bush's top military adviser said on Sunday setting an unconditional two-year timetable for getting U.S. troops out of Iraq in two years would be dangerous.

But Adm. Michael Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said he would be able to recommend more troop reductions this fall if conditions there continued to improve.

If conditions continue to improve eh?

Maybe they will do whatever it takes to make sure things do not continue to improve, to sustain current troop and force levels for as long as possible in case of a possible conflict with Iran?

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Shock horror, could it be that the government contains alot of anti-US operaters who plan and finace attacks against US forces?

If they were armed and fighting, they deserved getting taken out. That its a governers son means that the son was a terrorist and got what was coming. Question is now how reliable is the father?

I'm sorry, but just where the HELL do you come off making all of these unjustifiable assumptions? Do you realize how jingoistic and ignorant your post appears?

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
I'm sorry, but just where the HELL do you come off making all of these unjustifiable assumptions? Do you realize how jingoistic and ignorant your post appears?

I agree with that 100%

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Everyone has a right to their opinion on the subject at hand, no matter how abrasive or asinine it may be.

Just curious, do you have an opinion on this news from Iraq?

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Im Trolling:

If they dont agree shoot them......belive it or not it is acpectable.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
And then there could have been a Al-Qaeda financier in the house. If the boy was aiding and abeiting then Good Ridence.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
They executed Maliki's cousin last week and now the son of this governor. They are executing the families of politicians, sad but true. Probably to flare up trouble or just for revenge, do you need anymore evidence that the US are terrorists and the Bush administration are no better than common mafia? And that the International court on human rights is just a front for western imperialism? I don't think so. Bombs go off and if you think about it, it could be the US doing the butchering because the winners would be the US, not Iraq and not the insurgency. Any international investigation going on? Does it not worry Americans that some nations may well plot revenge well into the future when the situation favours them? That your children and grandchildren could have to live through what Iraq is living through? I mean, once you realise that you are being ruled by mafia, how safe does it make you feel?

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Alarmist2012
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Everyone has a right to their opinion on the subject at hand, no matter how abrasive or asinine it may be.

Just curious, do you have an opinion on this news from Iraq?

you're absolutely right. everyone does have a right to their opinion, and that was mine.

and at a stretch, it is also mine that this type of action by our troops brings out the worst in people time and time again, on both sides of the issue, as this poster proved.

stating my opinion of the article beyond this is simply stating the obvious. it's tragic. this entire war is tragic on so many levels, and this is merely another footnote in it.

and pardon me for caring that people not do their worst to inflame an already horrible view of my country and its people. i don't care to have this kind of ignorance reflected on either.

[edit on 20-7-2008 by ~Lucidity]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join