It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

whats up with this? (another mars photo)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Why is half the picture blacked out??

marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov...

hmm it seems the link is different now

[Edited on 10-3-2004 by spangbr]

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Your link isn't working, you might wanna try that again.

Edit: and your new one doesn't work either

[Edited on 10-3-2004 by Ranger]

edit2: still not working

[Edited on 10-3-2004 by Ranger]

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 03:49 PM
link   
thats real wierd i just noticed that myself i was on the page like 2 minutes ago

marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov...:

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 03:51 PM
link   
both links worked for me... as for parts of pictures blacked out, it happens all the time. ever see a hubble photograph? i can't remember why it happens, though. sorry. i do want to say that it's from a loss of data or that they just didn't take a phtograph of that section.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I couldnt get the links to work right.. but on a lot of space type photos parts are missing or incomplete. It's usually due to the picture being made up of a giant grid of photos stitched together to make one giant picture.... If one's missing you get a black spot.

OR all the pictures could be there.. 'they' just delete the parts with 'evidence'... muh hah aha

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 12:16 AM
link   
How about this object?!? It looks like a washer half buried in the sand! I guess it could be a fossil. It's from the most recent (Sol 65) Spirit Rover images. (This is freakin' me out)

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 12:19 AM
link   
you mean this?

it is an interesting object, does look anamolous on the surface there.

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 07:17 AM
link   
It looks strange I agree, but doesn't it also look like the same "shape" that the rover left on the first rock it drilled into?
Here is a side by side of the first time it drilled, notice that it has the same little indentation.

[Edited on 11-3-2004 by NetStorm]

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 07:25 AM
link   
It appears to have been forced into the soil (or whatever). There is a small ridge on the right hand side of the object, which makes it appear as though it came in at an angle from the left side of the picture.

Mr. M

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 07:28 AM
link   
That looks more like a place where the alpha particle x-ray spectrometer was pressed into the ground to take measurements. The RAT isn't used on soil and leaves a different appearance.

EDIT: As far as the original post, yes, those black areas are where the data was incomplete. Errors in transmission etc.

[Edited on 11-3-2004 by Kano]

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Yep, helps to know how the pics are transmitted...

If you've ever downloaded a digital pic that was corrupt, you'd realize it (used to get it all the time with my zip drive)...

[Edited on 11-3-2004 by Gazrok]

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 07:39 PM
link   
re the circular object, that sure looks like something that is half buried in the sand to me...

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Anybody got a clue what the discoloration is?

[Edited on 11-3-2004 by Stefan]

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by spangbr
re the circular object, that sure looks like something that is half buried in the sand to me...

Kano is right. It is where the instrument was pressed against the ground to take a measurement.

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Although it looks like the M�ssbauer Spectrometer. Not the APSX.

top topics

join