It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Italy plans to fingerprint all its citizens

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Italy plans to fingerprint all its citizens

www.worldbulletin.net

Italy may demand all its citizens be fingerprinted, a move aimed at defusing widespread criticism of government plans to force Roma people and their children to provide fingerprints as what Italy says a way of tackling criminality.
A parliamentary committee agreed on Wednesday that from 2010 all identity cards, which Italians already have to carry, should include the fingerprints of the bearer. The measure still has to pass through parliament.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.dailymail.co.uk

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Italy to Mass Fingerprint All Roma Gipsy Children

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Will soon all of us be fingerprinted like criminals?

www.worldbulletin.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 06:42 AM
link   
so immigrants crossing the open boarder from all the other European union country's don't have to be finger printed because only citizens with id cards commit crimes.....lol

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by fatdad

Nope, i guess they wanna fingerprint everyone, immigrants too.

So, first they say they'll fingerprint the roma immigrants, as a solution to the high crime rates among the roma population. Then comes the reaction, the European Parliament, public oppinion and many organisations condamn this measure. And what's the solution? Let's fingerprint everybody, so it won't be discriminatory anymore!

Makes me wonder if they didn't plan this from the beginning.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Just what do think they're going to achieve by fingerprinting everyone?

Everyone's guilty until proven innocent now huh?

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Man thats just crazily insane.How on earth could they do that.
Fingerprint everyone in case they are or become a criminal.May aswell put them all in prison now in case they become a criminal.INSANE!

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Baby steps towards an orwellian society. First Italy, then all European Union. First fingerprinting, then microchip implants.

And they're presenting it as a good thing, they're just doing it so that the immigrants aren't discriminated!

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Funnily enough, I have a fingerprinted ID card, and have had one all my life, here in Portugal. Never made me feel a criminal because of it. Besides, it's irrelevant, because if people want to do a crime all they need is a pair of gloves and they become untrackable on this system. Much noise over nothing imo.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wallachian
reply to post by fatdad

Nope, i guess they wanna fingerprint everyone, immigrants too.

So, first they say they'll fingerprint the roma immigrants, as a solution to the high crime rates among the roma population. Then comes the reaction, the European Parliament, public oppinion and many organisations condamn this measure. And what's the solution? Let's fingerprint everybody, so it won't be discriminatory anymore!

Makes me wonder if they didn't plan this from the beginning.

Had the same thought when I read it... brilliant move, simple and effective.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Zepherian

The fact in itself may not be such a big deal. The problem is just that it gets people one step closer to accepting way creepier things. Like, let's say, microchip implants?

Hm, i don't know, maybe it's just me, but i would really have a problem with my government fingerprinting me... Not because i have something to hide. But because it sounds like something out of a distopia novel.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I think you're overreacting on this one, although the point about tip toe totalitarism is certainly valid, and I'm sure they will go for more restrictive measures in Italy in the near future. But fingerprinted ID cards and a national database is not that big deal in and of itself. Like I said, I've had it all my life and it dosen't bother me... now being chipped is something I will not knowingly allow, but thats another degree of population control above and beyond the simple bureacratic use of fingerprints as an ID. Btw, our ID cards are only a thumbprint, not a complete set, iirc.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
man why is this still news? I posted this a looooong time ago here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Mad_Hatter

Im awfully sorry, but if you would have read the thread or the source article, or the title for that matter, you would have seen that its about the italian government fingerprinting ALL of its citizens, not a few roma immigrants. And it's newer than 48 hours.

On the other hand, yes, maybe i'm overreacting on this whole thing.

Edit to say i even put a link to your old thread in my first post.

[edit on 17-7-2008 by Wallachian]

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Wow I could have swore I read this same exact thing a couple months ago.. word for word...

De Ja Vu..

Nothing against the OP and post.. But i swear I read this same thread wit same answers 2 months ago..

[edit on 7/17/2008 by ThichHeaded]

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by ThichHeaded

Again, check the old thread of Mad Hatter

Don't know about the exact same answers though... Maybe you did have a deja vu after all.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Wallachian

You're not overreacting, it is very disturbing to see this. We've got some various fingerprinting issues here in the US as well, however. I find it highly insulting and offensive that in order to enjoy my 2nd amendment right to carry a handgun in the state of Washington I not only had to obtain a concealed carry permit, but I had to be fingerprinted to obtain the permit itself. I was also offended that my wife had to be fingerprinted and have a background check to teach CCD class to grade schoolers in Arizona a few years ago.

I believe that, as they are attached to your own body always, fingerprints are the sole property of an individual and barring them already having committed an unlawful act there should be no circumstance in which that sole possession is forfeited. Take it as a sign of the times, however, that fingerprints are basically the property of the government at their whim and discretion. They're fingerprinting school children in Idaho for their lunch program, even. If that isn't a gross invasion of privacy, I honestly do not know what is.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I don't think you're overreacting, OP. And I think you're spot on in your analysis that this was the plan all along.

In a related story, sightings of long dead Italian Fascist Dictator Benito Mussolini have increased exponentially in the past year...j/ks

top topics

join