It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Copy Cat threads good? or bad?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Recently there have been a rash of copy cat threads, threads that take the opposite position on a subject.

Examples:
original thread
Aliens Eating Humans, Invasion DANGER...
And it's copy cat thread that is still open
Humans eating aliens~ In responce to "Aliens Eating Humans, Invasion DANGER... "
original thread
Some Americans are not supporting our troops, and they should be ashamed!
And the copy cat thread that is still open
Some Americans are supporting their troops, and they should be ashamed
original thread
There will be no uprising in America.
and the copy cat that was closed
There will be uprising in America.

Now as for my thread that was closed, I'm not complaining about it, or I would have used the complaint function. I do wonder why it was closed seeing that there seems to be many other types of these copy cat threads and I don't think ATS has some sort of limited space for threads.

My questions are, is this going to be a new wave of thread topics on ATS or are these type of threads going to be handled by closing them, or are there going to be a select few of these threads allowed to remain open.

Are these type of threads good for ATS or Bad for ATS? And is there going to be a even and fair way of determining witch threads remain open or closed?

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Personally, I am not a fan of the copy cat threads. I definitely see your point regarding the inconsistancy in locking some and allowing others. I realize that the mods aren't perfect but I can see where this would make members feel as if they are being picked on or singled out.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
Personally, I am not a fan of the copy cat threads. I definitely see your point regarding the inconsistancy in locking some and allowing others. I realize that the mods aren't perfect but I can see where this would make members feel as if they are being picked on or singled out.

hey thanks for the reply, I don't want to discuss my thread that was closed, It doesn't bother me. I'm more interested in discussing the over all use of copy cat threads in general.

I don't like them.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Nothing personal, but I think all copy cat threads should be closed and the viewers redirected to the original thread. There is no need to start a new thread to take an opposing view. Just discuss it in the original thread.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I feel that these threads do come in waves. I started a similar thread to this ages ago (you copy cat!!
)
They are all legit topics but I do see patterns. there was a time when there were alot of smoking related threads, every now and then there are time travel threads. (I think there are a few now) Nibiru cops a flogging and then goes quiet and so on.

the problem I see it that often the 'new' thread altough on the same topic has a different angle but ends up talking about the same thing.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 08:06 AM
link   
It's ignorant, glad you brought this up. Used to be that people used to copy cat all my threads, but I got it fixed. People who make the opposite thread do it because they have failed to debate the original thread. it's all psychological.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Well, ATS likes to promote discussion, not polarisation.

So other than an ego boost, what's the point of a copycat thread?

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Copy cat threads show no originality or thought.They seem to be someones attempt at getting their view put out to everyone else if they are not agreed with in the initial thread.It seems very childish actually and they should be closed in my opinion as soon as they are spotted.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I second that. IMHO, copycat threads are disingenious at best, and a waste of time and space overall. They should be redirected to the original post and shut down. Repeat offenders should be penalized.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I agree, I don't see the point in starting a new thread just to argue the point of the original......kind of a waste of server space if you ask me. Reminds me of 20 threads all on the same subject.

They seem to be someones attempt at getting their view put out to everyone else if they are not agreed with in the initial thread.

yes....very true. The Chemtrail real/myth debate is one of many huge examples of this.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I don't understand why people don't do a search and just post their stuff in that thread?

top topics

join