It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are your favorite types of sushi?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Interestingly enough, I'm not a very big fan of fish at all, however I have discovered certain types of sushi that I just really, really like - and some others that I hate. Since sushi can be expensive, and many different varieties, I was wondering what types of sushi you guys like best, and hopefully get some suggestions.

My absolute favorite type of sushi (or rather, sashimi since I don't like all that rice) is white tuna.

I don't like the taste of salmon at all, and I really don't like the consistency of octopus.

Yellow tail I can get used to, although I find the consistency to be really unappealing.

I would like to get up the courage to try sea urchin, eel, etc. Any suggestions? Keep in mind I don't really like "fishy" tastes (I realize the irony).

Other than that, I absolutely love seaweed salad, edamame, and spicy crab rolls (although I kind of consider anything that uses mayo or deep-frying pseudo-sushi).

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I worked at a really high-end sushi place in Phoenix. Its an interesting food because in the right place, everything in the dish aids in digestion. A very good and expensive way to stay healthy. I am trying to think of what else to recommend you..

I love unagi (eel). That's probably my favorite. Sweet/Salty. But I don't know about the sashimi style.

Uni (urchin) is probably something to try, but I doubt you'll dig it much. Its very "grainy" in my opinion.

Actually, given your issue with the textures, I am not sure what to tell you. Also you mentioned you didn't like salmon, which has a pretty light taste compared to others.

When you say white tuna, do you mean toro (fatty tuna, tuna belly) or maguro? That actually isn't my favorite texture, but its got a good taste.

I think I'll recommend red snapper and sea bass (suzuki). Those both have pretty good fishy tastes and aren't too bad on the palette.

Also not strictly sushi/sashimi, if you go to a good place with REALLY quality ingredients, get scallops sashimi, tuna tataki, tuna tartar, seared abalone, or something that equates to wagyu beef in a sashimi style, or wagyu gunkan, which is a raw form of the best red meat in the world. I say only in a good place because these can get you sick easier in shady places.

Squid/Octopus, I'm sure you'll appreciate more cooked. But in the end, I gotta say the seaweed salad does it for me too. I could eat that stuff daily.

Haha sorry I didn't realize how much I typed. I am a freaking sushi nerd, so if you have anything else to throw at me, let me know. I also take sake requests.

[edit on 7/15/08 by SantaClaus]

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Sushi is awesome.
Have you tried the shrimp ones? They're pretty good.
What you guys think of wasabi?

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by SantaClaus
When you say white tuna, do you mean toro (fatty tuna, tuna belly) or maguro? That actually isn't my favorite texture, but its got a good taste.

im pretty sure its the maguro (which ive heard isn't really tuna at all). I like toro too, but I believe thats the red stuff with a bit thicker texture. The maguro just melts in your mouth

Thanks foor the suggestions, I'll def. have to try eel and sea bass on your recommendation.

Originally posted by PeaceUk
Sushi is awesome.
Have you tried the shrimp ones? They're pretty good.
What you guys think of wasabi?

havent tried shrimp yet, and I love wasabi... although I have to admit, i used to just cover my sushi in wasabi because I didnt like the taste much, but as I got used to it, I use less and less - and now when I eat sashimi I don't need to use it at all.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I would definitely recommend butterfish. I'm also fond of spider rolls. One of my other favorites is a local thing, there's a place out here called California Rollin' that does a roll called a Spank Me! Roll. It's crab with wasabi mayo and more wasabi, then it's coauted with wasabi roe and wasabi sauce, all with a nice side of wasabi. If you like wasabi, it's the perfect roll.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsychoHazard
I would definitely recommend butterfish.

Ahhh great suggeston. Can't believe I forgot. Not a lot of places serve it around here though. Butterfish tataki is some of the best fish I've ever had.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
My favorite types of sushi are california roll (avocado and crab) and ebi (shrimp on top of rice). If i could I would eat sushi 2 or 3 times a week. Wasabi is pretty good, I don't usually eat anything spicy or hot but I will eat it with sushi (of course with soy sauce mixed with it). Anybody seen the episode of jackass where steve o (i think) snorted a whole bunch of wasabi, crazy!

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
My favorite types of sushi are california roll (avocado and crab) and ebi (shrimp on top of rice). If i could I would eat sushi 2 or 3 times a week. Wasabi is pretty good, I don't usually eat anything spicy or hot but I will eat it with sushi (of course with soy sauce mixed with it). Anybody seen the episode of jackass where steve o (i think) snorted a whole bunch of wasabi, crazy!

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by SantaClaus

Originally posted by PsychoHazard
I would definitely recommend butterfish.

Ahhh great suggeston. Can't believe I forgot. Not a lot of places serve it around here though. Butterfish tataki is some of the best fish I've ever had.

i was under the impression that butterfish was just another name for white tuna, which is actually just another name for escolar (not a tuna at all). Please correct me if I'm mistaken!

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Butterfish is called ibodai (had too look that one up).

Some places try to pass off different fish as butterfish, because it is hard to come by. Butterfish is only found in Japan, and it isn't a good fish to farm.

Its so lite that it begins to cook itself after only a few minutes at room temperature. Typically, that's why you'll only find it tataki style (seared) in American restaurants. If you can find it sashimi, you're probably paying a lot for it. If you can find it in a place that serves it with apple mustard, do it. It might be the tastiest fish you've ever had.

Again, more info than was really needed. Its the japanese wannabe chef in me, and a restaurant training me in trivial knowledge about the cuisine for many many months.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I'm partial to Futomaki because it's sweet and spicy tuna or salmon rolls with spicy mayo on them. Mmmm...perfecto!

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
again, i kinda look at rolls with mayo in the same light as a french fry being a potato. oops, sorry.. freeeeedom fry. that being said, I really like "torchamaki" they serve in a local spot that comes out flaming, ha.

and santa: thanks for the quick lesson. Since I'm not in japan, I doubt ill be coming across any real butterfish sashimi anytime soon, but it's definitely now on my list of places to go and things to eat!

[edit on 16-7-2008 by scientist]

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by scientist

and santa: thanks for the quick lesson. Since I'm not in japan, I doubt ill be coming across any real butterfish sashimi anytime soon, but it's definitely now on my list of places to go and things to eat!

[edit on 16-7-2008 by scientist]

Are you out west? I know a few places out in the west/midwest where its available.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by scientist
(although I kind of consider anything that uses mayo or deep-frying pseudo-sushi).

I disagree. Just because I choose to dip my sushi in spicy mayo doesn't make it any less sushi. Its like saying if I choose to put ketchup on my hamburger then it is less like a burger.

Why would frying your sushi make it pseudo sushi? It is still rice, no matter how you swing it. cooked fish, raw fish, the sushi is still sushi.

And I may not be 100% on this assumption, but going by your OP, it seems that you are confusing the word sushi with something having to do with fish. Sushi is cold rice dressed with vinegar and formed into shapes. Sushi can have fish or not and still be sushi.

That said, I really want some spicy tuna sushi right about now...

[edit on 7/16/2008 by Mad_Hatter]

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Mad_Hatter

I love any of the stuff they put in the little rolls, like the California roll with avocado, shrimp, crab, tuna, sea bass...I haven't tried the eel...I don't know if I would like it, I have a vivid imagination lol and can't imagine the texture of eel...I think I am thinking of "jellied eel" don't the British eat it?

I like octopus and squid as well...I have never tried urchin but if it's grainy like Santa says, I'll pass.

I LOVE wasabi, and I like the fresh curls of ginger with mine too, with wasabi on that, and then dunked in the soy sauce, yummy...great thread...

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mad_Hatter
And I may not be 100% on this assumption, but going by your OP, it seems that you are confusing the word sushi with something having to do with fish.

no, im just saying that once you compare "real" sushi (aka japanese sushi) to it's western deep-fried, mayo-dipped counterpart, it's like comparing kobe beef to a big mac. Both are protein that come from the same source, but the methods of preparation separate them by a few orders of magnitude.

i do enjoy sashimi a but more than sushi most of the time - in my opinion, when you get sushi, you're really just getting 80% rice. the good stuff is all inside, so i just go for what's inside and bypass the rice when I can. Again, not to say I don't like sushi - I love it. And chances are, when I try something new, it will be sushi first, then sashimi (if such a counterpart exists).

santa: nope, other coast -> F.L. Anyways we have a few good spots, so maybe something will turn up... by plane its only another 8 hours from the west coast, so maybe there is a chance! ha.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Ahh, well FL (forget where, maybe orlando?) is soon getting a place called Zuma. Its an even more highend offshoot of where I used to work. I guarantee it will have any and all options in the sushi realm.

There's only like 2 in the world, and this will be the first in the US. I highly recommend checking it out when you don't mind spending half a paycheck on a meal.

*As I eat my ramen noodles and hotpocket*

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by SantaClaus

here's my local spot, you were right on the money

www.seitosushi.com...

never heard of Zuma, and neither has google (within FL)

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Ask google more towards next spring. The place itself will be a work of art.

You can look forward to something like THIS.

Anyway, I'm sure you got a lot of good spots where you're at. That's a good foodie spot.

ETA: And wow, Seito confirms it. Looks awesome.

[edit on 7/16/08 by SantaClaus]

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   
California rolls. They have a really cool place in San Diego that has statues made of lava in front of them.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join