It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Arrested For 'Unlawful Photography'(of a Cop)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Man Arrested For 'Unlawful Photography'(of a Cop)

www.tricities.com

Nearly everyone carries a cell phone and it’s hard to find one without that camera feature. It’s convenient when you want to take that impromptu photo, but a Tri-Cities area man ended up behind bars after snapping a shot of a Johnson County sheriff’s deputy during a traffic stop.

The cell phone photographer says the arrest was intimidation, but the deputy says he feared for his life.

“Here’s a guy who takes me out of the car and arrests me in front of my kids. For what? To take a picture of a police officer?” said Scott Conover.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
LMAO...What da?

Now taking a picture of a cop is grounds for arrest?!?

The thing that creeps me out about this, is just think if folks HADN'T taken film of some past events of officers bullying and intimidating people. This sounds like a way to intimidate the public into not keeping an eye on LE.

The American Civil Liberties Union would not comment on Conover’s case without fully reviewing the allegations, but told us there is no law that prohibits anyone from taking photographs in public areas, even of police. Taking photos is protected by the First Amendment. Conover is ordered to appear in a Johnson County court on August 6th.

www.tricities.com

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Oooh an article without a cop using a taser on someone for doing nothing. Nice!

Seriously though there's no law against taking a picture of a police officer, and the laser story sounds like something the cop made up to try and make it seem like there was a legitimate reason to arrest the person taking the picture.

I hope the officer gets disciplined for his actions.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I wonder why the man photographed the officer in the first place? What was going on that he felt he needed to take a picture? It isn't illegal to take a picture of an LEO but what was going on that he took the pic?. After reading the article it looks to me like another case of someone did something a cop didn't like so the officer made up charges to arrest the man because he wouldn't delete the picture after being asked 3 times. There's more to this story that isn't being told.

Once this gentleman goes to court and the charges are dropped(unless the judge is in with the LEO's) will anything happen to the officer?

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   
The officer was obviously using against regulation tactics during his traffic stop. There is no other explanation as to why he would be upset over a picture.

Truth be told, this man ought to sue the pants off of his local sheriff dept.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

LMAO...What da?

Now taking a picture of a cop is grounds for arrest?!?

The thing that creeps me out about this, is just think if folks HADN'T taken film of some past events of officers bullying and intimidating people. This sounds like a way to intimidate the public into not keeping an eye on LE.

The American Civil Liberties Union would not comment on Conover’s case without fully reviewing the allegations, but told us there is no law that prohibits anyone from taking photographs in public areas, even of police. Taking photos is protected by the First Amendment. Conover is ordered to appear in a Johnson County court on August 6th.

www.tricities.com

Oh no you forgot, there is no illegal search and seisure anymore.
So you are ALLOWED to arrest innocent people. He might have gotten lucky and found something illegal on him.

I suspect we are going to see a whole lot more of this kind on thing.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   
The whole point behind photographs of officers being legal is in the event that we have to hold them accountable for overstepping the rules, and enforcing something other than just the law.

Without accountability. A criminal quickly finds the best way to run a crime syndicate, is by becoming a cop.

If cops can't be held accountable for their actions... what kind of a place is the world to turn into?

This is a disgrace to good cops everywhere. This one cop should have his badge taken immediately.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I can understand why the officer would fear for his life. Some police officers will not pose for a camera, or speak with a new reporter, for fear that some criminal they arrested in the past will trace their information and find where they and their family live.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Simon_Boudreaux
I wonder why the man photographed the officer in the first place? What was going on that he felt he needed to take a picture? It isn't illegal to take a picture of an LEO but what was going on that he took the pic?. After reading the article it looks to me like another case of someone did something a cop didn't like so the officer made up charges to arrest the man because he wouldn't delete the picture after being asked 3 times. There's more to this story that isn't being told.

Once this gentleman goes to court and the charges are dropped(unless the judge is in with the LEO's) will anything happen to the officer?

The whole point is that freedom means "regardless of intent".

I take pictures of traffic stops all the time, why, because usually it's dramatic. I got a ton of cop pictures on my iphone.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJMessiah
I can understand why the officer would fear for his life. Some police officers will not pose for a camera, or speak with a new reporter, for fear that some criminal they arrested in the past will trace their information and find where they and their family live.

Then they clearly shouldn't be police.

If you can't take the heat of being a police officer in an open society, then Don't join the force PERIOD.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Quazga

Do police officers become police officers to save lives or become public relations agents?

No police officer wants to put their family's life in danger by becoming a police officer, they do it to protect their family and community.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Guess he was afraid that he was having a bad hair day eh?

Cops film you from their vehicle, so you can do so as well.

If I felt the need to photograph an officer, I'd do so with no fear as there is no law to say otherwise. If I was detained because of it, you can bet that I'd be demanding a senior officer on site before compliance. Or even dial 911 for a record of the stop and confirmation of the identity of the supposed officer.

Some police just don't know the laws that they are supposed to uphold, and when you know more about it then they do, they get aggressive. Typical thing for the ignorant to do.

At least I know that if I was to get wrongfully detained, searched, or charged that I would have that picture to coordinate the....well, let's call it all's fair...

And this is exactly what they are afraid of, retaliation for their wrongdoing.

It's too bad that the Roidhead nazi's in a uniform make a bad rap for the honorable upstanding Officers of the Peace that are in far greater numbers.

I always seem to think of some certain NWA song lyrics....

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I posted this same thread on 7-12-2008!
It even has the same title!
Whats the deal man?
This happened in my home state of Tennessee, in Johnson county, right outside Mountain City! I saw it on the late news and posted the thread the same night. The original thread here!
www.abovetopsecret.com...'

[edit on 7/17/2008 by BroonStone]

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by BroonStone

You posted the event in the NWO forum, and this was posted in the breaking news forum.

Two similar stories/article are allowed to exist, as long as one is the news article, and the other in a conspiracy forum.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by DJMessiah

Some of them are just control freaks who need to dominate others. Some just enjoy the ready access to hookers, drugs, guns, and money.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 01:00 AM
link   
There are hundreds and hundreds of incidents like this listed on the web, if anyone cares to look. One person that comes to mind is that youtube guy, who films cops while they try to make out it's illegal to do so. It is actually pretty funny.

The basic rules of photography go, if you are not doing anything illegal as you are taking the picture, then the picture is OK to take. So pictures taken from private property are a no no if you don't have explicit permission to take them, but it is fine to stand on the sidewalk and shoot through the glass.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a similar thing happened a few years ago to me and a friend of mine who was visiting from london. we were sitting on the lawn of the high museum in downtown atlanta when the police in three police cars stopped someone right in front of us and hauled them out of their car. she took a picture, and one of the cops came over and demanded the film. she laughed and said it was digital, so he grabbed her camera and erased the photo and told her to shut it or he'd arrest her. when i said what the hell, there's no law against taking pics in public and shouldn't he worry about that criminal over there, he said they'd arrest me too.

by the way, i still have the pics of this i took with MY camera, which he didn't catch me doing.

top topics

join