It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Subliminal messages in music and movies. Is it really there or do I just want to hear/see it?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Disney is a great source for oddly played out scenes when slowed down or seen by a careful observer, hidden letters, creepy sounding kids music while played backwards- with lyrics that frequently sound like “Satan” and “forsaken”. Now I often wonder if Disney just gets a kick out of this stuff or if they are intentionally attempting to influence people and their children.

I’m rather fond of subliminal message stories so please share yours. I often wonder if I want to see/hear this stuff and if it is truly there. The reason I think Disney is a good example of subliminal messages is because often there are things in Disney films or music that seem too well planted to be a mistake or trick of the eye.
Here are some video examples:

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Aladdin..the infamous "Take your clothes off"

Aladdin

[edit on 7/15/2008 by DarthChrisious]

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   
There are plenty of stories about Disney's animators getting bored and slipping stuff in their films and even some animators getting fired for it.

I would also question why, if Disney was intentionally investing effort in inserting subliminal messages into their films, they'd go with profanity and sexuality. How does Disney benefit from flashing sexual pictures at kids?

Like most things, whoever benefits is guilty. Since Disney the corporation wouldn't benefit any, I would say it's more reasonable to assume it's just an artist getting his kicks.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I dunno about subliminal messages in music and film but i definitely hear the esoteric ones....and you don't have to play them backwards for that.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
The nudy photo in the background of The Rescuers is very real and non subliminal.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by rapinbatsisaltherage

interesting video. it made me want to watch beauty and the beast, actually, hehe. We had this discussion in my sociololgy class my senior year of high school... but there were many more videos. While I think the makers of these films may have injected sex and such things here and there, I think it was just people being immature and having fun. No child would ever notice that...I grew up when all of these movies were introduced, and I can tell you that all I ever saw were the main characters... I never saw the word sex anywhere, never looked for it..so i never noticed it. These movies are made for kids. As adults, our minds are a bit in the gutter. I don't think its anything of great concern.

However, the diablo hand signs did concern me a little bit!

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I've noticed audio subliminizing in a futurama episode lastnight. It was the one where bender joins the robot mafia and attacks the planet express ship for 'zuban cigars' He switches his voice over to a heavy english accent and starts in with the "ol' chap' kinda deal. He says that once or twice, then says something like 'ol bean' then right before he leaves the cockpit of the ship i caught him saying 'Ol' spice'. Now correct me if i'm wrong, but I can handle the ol' bean, ol' chap, but ol' spice? As soon as I heard it I had to have my buddy rewind it so I could hear it again and again to make sure I wasn't hearing things. That's when I got the idea to turn on closed captioning. It was at this time I was shocked, when he said old spice nothing showed for the closed captioning. This is just one account of my own experianced sumbliminology. Another one would be the entire movie of dont mess with the zohan. Anyone who doesn't wish the movie to be spoiled, quit reading now.

The movie was based on an all too familiar scenario, the two sides of a 2000 year war from the middle east, fighting with each other in NY in america. They soon join forces after realizing that an american CEO of some major corp. had been paying off steriotypical rednecks to dress up like middle easterns and make them fight against each other. So it comes down to this, middle easterners stopping thier fighting and facing thier attention to the real enemy, american business leaders.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I don't know whether I believe in the subliminal messages or not, but I do know that some of those thing in those videos were true. And some of those sex messages were quite obvious. But then again I loved that movie, and I do realize sometimes when I draw one thing can look like another... so whether its intentional or not I can't say. But I do not doubt that an artist turned bored and through some crap in there because they knew it'd be a famous movie and they could point it out to their friends.

I've drawn a penis in a picture once as immature as that was, and all of my friends laughed when I presented it to the class and nobody knew that it was there. It was great, and I was cracking up the whole time. See? Stuff like that, like the ozzy songs played backwards. That crap ain't fake, it's real. But there's no big deal about it, people do stuff to get kicks. That's all.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by rapinbatsisaltherage

Disney's focus on beauty isn't surprising. Our society is seriously warped in this regard. It's not really a covert assault on our young girls; it's quite out in the open.

My shining examply of this is a Bratz coloring book that I keep in my trunk just to show people. There is one page within this book that says, "If you could change one thing about your physical appearance, what would it be?"

This is aimed at 6-10 year olds. That's just not right.

Maybe one day I'll take a picture of that page and post it, but not tonight. I'm all pajamaed up and I'm not going outside.

I often wonder if this is a large conspiracy involving the diet, excercise, and fashion industries, or if it's something grander and more sinister with the ultimate goal being to keep humans focused on inconsequential nonsense while a small and focused group of individuals... (insert favorite conspiracy here). Of course if it's the later then Disney is but a tiny cog in a giant machine.

The "sex" stuff really is just animators having some fun with a small and easily placable word.

As for the "satanic" hand sign, well, I just don't know. Politicians and other "higher ups" (economic and otherwise) all over the planet have been doing this for a long time, and apparently Disney characters do it to. I fail to believe that all of the worlds elite AND many Disney characters are Texas Longhorns fans. I also have a hard time that they all dig heavy metal. I've always believed that this is some sort of signal between the illuminated, though not a serious one (like the rub left earlobe with left hand, cup left elbow with right hand, that's supposedly very serious). More like a ha ha we rule kind of signal. I also doubt it has anything to do with satan...
That said, I don't think that lowly animators are going to be privy to such knowledge, but I could be wrong. Maybe it's just one guy, the lead guy, and he's giving us all a good "go get you effin' shine box"

Wow, that's as obvious as a backwards tracked message can be, but I really don't care. They stink, and I take my satanism in really obvious, over the top, tounge in cheek doses by band like Dimmu Borgir and Emperor.

Nothing subliminal about it.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 12:21 AM
link   
They stink

You’ve got that right. The Satanic lyrics with the music played backwards makes them sound a lot better.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Sunsetspawn

I despise Bratz dolls. I thought Barbie was bad, but I’d rather have kids playing with a Pam Anderson looking doll then one dressed like a two dollar hooker with an illiterate name.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Interesting thread. I've heard of some stuff about this before, like the Aladdin "take your clothes off" thing, the word sex in the Lion King and the Little Mermaid picture of King Triton's Palace also showing something else.

I also read something about someone saying how it was weird in Aladdin that Aladdin and his friends (the good guys) have American accents, while the bad guys have Arabic accents. And it's true, you'll see if you watch it. Funny thing is, I never noticed it when I was younger and if anything, it's taught me to be more tolerant, so I don't know how that works.

And yeah like someone said, you don't notice it when you're a kid. I know I never did. Lol I actually still like Disney and will watch a Disney movie.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by rapinbatsisaltherage
I often wonder if I want to see/hear this stuff and if it is truly there.

A technique known as backmasking, where a message is recorded normally and embeded in reverse, is a very real method of subliminal messaging. In 1983 Arkansas and California passed a bill which made it illegal for backmasked messages to appear in media without a warning label such as this:

"*Warning* - This record contains backward masking which may be perceptible at a subliminal level when the record is played forward."

Soon there after the bill was returned to the state senate and overturned. Backmasking is still used today in music records by groups such as The Mars Volta...

TMV Backmasking

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   
This is going to be slightly off topic as it's not about music or movies, but it's related so.......

Back around 1980 I read two books by Wilson Bryan Key: Subliminal Seduction and The Clam-Plate Orgy. Both dealt with subliminal advertising in print media. The Books were quite controversial but I found the subject matter to be extremely interesting and I spent a couple of years searching images of all kinds for any signs of subliminal manipulation.

What I found the most prevalent (perhaps because it was the easiest to spot) was the word/s 'sex' superimposed onto images just about everywhere I looked. I used to buy 2 copies of the same issue of TV Guide and on one I would lightly trace all the words 'sex' that I saw (as I recall I would usually find 20-30 instances of the word on a typical cover). I would then show both copies to a friend as a sort of 'guide' to help them see how cleverly the words were disguised. Few people ever argued after seeing the side by side comparison.

Now here is where it got interesting....

I was laying on my bed one morning and staring at the ceiling (which had a bit of texture) and by god I spotted the word 'sex' right there in the paint. Bizarre eh? I started looking at all kinds of random places (clouds, pavement, cement etc.) and I soon found that I could often spot the word 'sex' nearly anywhere if I spent enough time looking.

So this led me to a bit of a conundrum. I could see the word in places where it clearly was not intended, as well as in places where it would seem to have been carefully placed. How could this be? Ultimately, I came to believe that pareidolia was involved.

I still have no doubt in my mind that there were (and still are) many instances where subliminal techniques are used to manipulate our subconcious impressions, but I also believe that if you focus your intentions upon seeing (or hearing) something you may be more likely to see (or hear) something that is not actually there. For example, the way so many people will see so many faces in random rocks on mars (I'm not referring to that BIG ONE though), they are looking so intently for a face that the mind tends to help them see what they want to see.

I guess to summarize my point, it is that there are most likely subliminals being widely used at this time (whether they are effective or not is a matter worthy of debate) but regardless, be careful because if you look intently enough, you may begin to find 'false positive' examples thanks to the way our minds try to 'help' us find what we are looking for.

Interesting thread, thanks for posting it

[edit on 23-7-2008 by SystemiK]

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 01:02 AM
link   
hahaha that reminds me... so i'm a big nsync fan (i have been for 10 years, don't make fun!
) and they were on a simpsons episode all about subliminal messaging. bart and his friends made a boyband.. and their songs were subliminally encouraging people to join the navy. anyone remember it?

and i was just thinking about the jonas brothers song that say they speak for satan. these kids are like 16 or something and are christian and staying virgins til marriage... so whats with that? was it manipulated?

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Seekingmyself

Yeah I remember that Simpsons ep, it was so funny! And the girls who were singing (can't remember what exactly) but backwards it said like join the navy or something. Pretty funny

Anyway, um.. there was a case of subliminal advertising here in Australia. It happened during the ARIA awards (the Australian Record Industry Association awards) last year.

Here's a link to the story from Media Watch:Link

and a link from National Nine News website:Link

The use of forbidden advertising "brainwashing" techniques by Network Ten in its Aria Awards coverage may go unpunished because Australia's broadcasting watchdog has received no complaints about the incident.

The ABC's Media Watch exposed Ten's use of split-second subliminal logos during the music awards for sponsors including Chupa Chups, Big W, Olay, Telstra Bigpond, KFC and Toyota.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Here's a link to a video on Youtube showing the subliminal ads in the ARIAs:Link (it says basically what's in the Media Watch link)

Weird thing is, charges weren't brought against Channel 10 for this, because there were no complaints. That just seems wrong to me. I wouldn't be surprised if Channel 10 did it again, knowing they could get away with it.

I mean, it was clearly wrong, yet nothing was done about it. I guess it happens a lot around the world?

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sparkly_Eyed777

Yeah I remember that Simpsons ep, it was so funny! And the girls who were singing (can't remember what exactly) but backwards it said like join the navy or something. Pretty funny

Funnily enough it was join the navy, but backwards - "yvan eht nioj"

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by rapinbatsisaltherage

" You bet it's a step!"

That crap is all over the place. Let me tell you what and why? The illuminati is pretty much a fan of repetitive phrases in songs or movies, whatever, if the thing is catchy, it gets ingrained in people's heads. People actually enjoy dancing to music with repetitiv phrases and beats. It makes the song memorable and when associated with a product, people remember it faster. Let me give you an example.

Flo Rida " Low"

There is millions of people who have already listened to this particular song. It is very catchy, teenagers all over the world, not just America, are hooked on this song. You have cheerleaders dancing to this at basketball games. This song absolutely promotes Apple bottom jeans, boots with fur, baggy sweat pants, and Reeboks with the straps.

This song is a perfect example of it!

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Yeah, Disney is evil. All the food in their name has cute little pictures of their characters and is all full of sugar and other crap. Disgusting.

As for the movies, I do think the hand signs are a little bit much. Maybe they were all closet heavy metal fans? I'm nowhere near a Satanist - I hate all religions equally - yet I've been to hundreds of shows and pulled out the devil's horns. It means "Rock out, dudes!" not lets go worship the devil.

Back masking - Iron Maiden - Still Life from Piece of Mind says "Don't mess with things you can't understand". Zeppelin supposedly has it in Stairway to Heaven. I have it, heard it, it's nothing. Whatever you want it to be, IMO. Ozzy backwards, someone mentioned, yeah sure. He's been dead for so long( no one told him, though) that he couldn't do anything so clever. I have never heard of anything by Ozzy having subliminal or back masked messages and I am a rocker through and through. I wonder if the Suicide Solution trial is what the poster of that though was thinking of. Oh yeah, don't forget Judas Priest, those awful Brits trying to kill off their fans and the completely absurd trial they went through. I lived in Nevada when it happened and still have lots of newspaper articles from that. Stupid parents want to blame everyone but themselves when their psychotic kids go off and kill themselves.

In print, in movies, I can buy. In music,. I doubt. Oh, and thanks for subjecting me to the Jonas Bros. My first taste and now I need something to clean out my ears and head. That stuff sucks. What the hell happened to music? Well, that's a BTS thread I should start. Such mindless junk out there that is so popular. Makes me cringe.

A thought just occurred to me. I have them once in a while. Why are we concentrating on backwards messages that most likely aren't there when there are perfectly good examples of forward speech, like the above post with Dimmu Borgir? Come on, really. I've been a musician(albeit a failed one with marginal skills) for many years and I've been in the musicians circle. Spent most of my teens and twenties there. I've never come across anyone remotely evil. Stupid and egotistical but not necessarily evil enough to put crap like back masking in their music. Most just want to rock out and get laid.
Now, where is my Opeth? I need some good death metal now.......

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   
For sure it's there... the military has been featured in every single Super Hero movie, more so after 9/11. Even in the the doomsday movie (I am Legend). Blockbuster hits = recruitment tool.

Wise up America

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join