It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm In DIAL UP HELL!!!!! Rabbit's RANT

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Well.... if there was ever anything, besides Johnny
, that could bring me back to reality, the past few days and the next two weeks stuck in Corpus Christi, Texas with my kid's 5 year old Toshiba Laptop and the only way to connect to the internet being......

1. Logging On To AOL via Dial-Up.

2. Minimizing it and then connecting to ATS and my E-Mail.

Back in my studio in Dallas with a Quad Dual Core, 5 Gigs of Ram and every bell and whistle imaginable and connecting via Platinum Cable... boy did I take things for granted.

Never again will I make fun of those who cannot afford DLS, CABLE or ABOVE.

I Hate My Sons Laptop!

I Hate Dial-Up!

Dave

What Is Your Own Horror Story?

[edit on 7/14/2008 by Dave Rabbit]

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I feel for you my friend, a tear rolled down my cheek as I read your post. AOHell on dial up has got to be worse than wading into hell, more like being suddenly dunked over and over into the tortures of insanity.

I'll keep you in my prayers as you suffer through this madness. I'll pray that you make it safely back to your own system soon.

Keep the faith

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Funny when you think about how spoiled we've become... I remember being on dialup years ago and I couldn't even get to 56... the top speed in my apt building was somewhere around 33.6 because they were such old lines. I did what you're doing. Signed on AOL, minimized it and painfully waited what felt like hours to open a website. Bleh. Half the time I was so frustrated I'd end up having a smoke instead lol.

Good luck getting back to high speed!!

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Okay, Dave, I'm sure this is going to be a spark of reality for you.

We live in the Cayman Islands...... a semi-modern society. Now, there are three variables that affect our connectivity: power outages, weather and gremlins.

I pay for 2GB, and when I run a "ping" to Miami it returns with .5GB. Okay so far. Then, weather of an indeterminant nature blows in here. No sat. TV, internet stalls...... and what is my recourse? zip. Now. The gremlins. They are legion. I never have a notion at 5:00 a.m. if I'm "in" or not. Sometimes dat ol' progress bar, she stalls. I then know I'm screwed, and no nettage. My Bride, she has a Blackberry Curve. It can almost always get on the 'net. Not so for the ol' PC. I'm not EVEN going to go into the price we pay for such service, as I'm certain the memes of probability are going to zap me for outing them, just as soon as I finish typing this post and

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
the small west texas town i live in has only had high speed for 2 years, and its only been reliable for about a year.

BTW, i used to be a trainer for AOL tech support agents. I would sooner eat McDonalds everyday than put that on my computer. But, then again, i really like McDonalds and would have it everyday, anyway.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Sorry- but you made me laugh !!!!

I'v been in dial up hell for months and i hear you

No wonder i'm not a heavy drinker

Oh well, in my case, better slow than NO internet at all

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Dave Rabbit

Speak up I can't hear you. y...our.. bre...aking up...

For me it's always about the weather, since my only choice is dial-up (non dsl), and satellite which I use.

Sat goes out, I go outside and enjoy myself rather than deal with the headaches of dial-up.

Take some aspirin, and go find you a wireless cafe.

I typed this slow in hopes that the page would load at your speed

j/k

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I'm in the same boat as you Mr Rabbit. When I come home for summer break, I have to use AOL Dialer (which I suspect is screwing with my laptop). It definitely cuts down on the time I spend on the computer since anything worth looking at takes forever to load. I've got a ton of software and Windows updates just waiting to be downloaded, but can't because I'm on dialup and we only have one phone line!!!

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dave Rabbit

What Is Your Own Horror Story?

[edit on 7/14/2008 by Dave Rabbit]

The other day I realised I hadn't been on line for a few days, and that didn't bother me much..... I think I'm coming down with something

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   
hehehe

My very first modem was a 300 baud, attached to the back of a Kaypro II, and only good for connecting to a BBS.

We've come a long way from monochrome screens, floppy 5 1/4" discs, and teeny tiny modems.

I feel your pain.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I thought the story would be bad enough being of dialup ............ then I read #[1]. Buddy I feel for ya, I really do.

Remember tho, the telephone cord is your only way online -- it is not a 3' laptop launching line!! lol

Misfit

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Dial up is like being constipated and no prunes to eat.

and by the way, i never have had anything but dial up.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Dial up... the phrase brings back faint childhood memories of screaming modems and 5 minute waiting periods... memories I would much rather forget...!

My heart goes out to you, but don't let it get you down! Going through dial up makes you a true internet user, it's the right of passage that allows you to truly bask in the glory of DSL!

And to those of you living on dial up every day, you are truly, heroes, of the internet.

[End inspiring speech.]

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
I go outside and enjoy myself

not only will that get you arrested in all 50 states, it is against the T&C to discuss it.

I can't believe everyone is whining about dial up. Remember when you sat staring at the screen as line by line of something slowly appeared? The excitement and anticipation of whatever it was that was sent to you slooooooooowly showing itself only to find out it was something horrific and you wound up cursing the sender for wasting all that time.

now you click, get rickrolled and close it all in an instant. no build up, no big payoff, no knockout punch.

we're all spoiled

and caymans guy, you can use the slow loading time to enjoy the fact that you are in the caymans whilst the rest of us are not.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
((groan)) Never mind the slow connection, that darn busy signal was the worst. Screaming modem was a song of angels compared to the yoinking busy signal.

Hahaha, I remember one night trying to sneak online, modem woke up the whole house.

Memories!

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I had to laugh at this ..................your not very Pc savy are you rabbit...

Springer or was it Bill? gave him 50,000 points to make an AVATER ..he phoned up and had to ask for more ............still one of my fav shows lol.

I didnt think dial up still exsited ffs BB is FREE? ......Dave get a 3G mobile ifob...........let us know how you get on with that lol.

Edit: to Crakeur ..i remember them days .."hurry up i want to see the nipple" lol

[edit on 15-7-2008 by N.B.A.Y.S.O.H]

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by N.B.A.Y.S.O.H

Actually, my computer experience goes back to the IBM 1050-2 Tape System in Vietnam. That said, my expertise was gained from practical experience and trial and error..... wireless is a new animal to me. I actually bought a wireless card..... but because my kid's Toshiba laptop is about 5 years old..... I never could get the SOB to work.... and said F IT.

I only use it to communicate with Johnny via E-Mail...... so the logging on to the site is a PITA but has taught me the word PATIENCE..... which was never in my vocabulary.

You guys that use laptops all the time..... respects! I keep hitting the wrong friggin' keys and either delete something or do that scroll thing where you hit the down button a butt load of times and hope that it makes it faster (it doesn't) but now have to wait until the damn thing keeps inching down to get back to what I was doing.

This post, for example, is my 3rd and final attempt. The previous two were DELETED and BACKSPACED which of course deletes what I have written. I wrote this in WORD and then copy and pasted it.

Dave

EDIT Because this piece of crap laptop doesn't have SPELL CHECK

[edit on 7/15/2008 by Dave Rabbit]

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

BRUTAL so BRUTAL

I guess I need to install a Crakeur Comedy Filter

to prevent such context comedy from being unleashed on me in the future.

cautiously reads what I just wrote

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   
The one thing dial up has taught me is patience, I no longer wait, I just sit back and open up another window to look at.

Computers are making people expect quick results be weary......

They are training your mind subconsciously everything should be instant, fast food, fast this, this is a major problem, waiting to happen, do not short circuit people.

IN LESS YOU HAVE TO.

[edit on 15-7-2008 by menguard]

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ceara
hehehe

My very first modem was a 300 baud, attached to the back of a Kaypro II, and only good for connecting to a BBS.

We've come a long way from monochrome screens, floppy 5 1/4" discs, and teeny tiny modems.

I feel your pain.

I remember BBS. Wow. How time has flown. I remember having that old amiga computer to connect to it and it was top of the line back then. Waiting sometimes three hours trying to dial onto my favorite boards. Remember the term Sysop?

[edit on 15-7-2008 by amatrine]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join