It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Church lures teenagers with assault rifle giveaway

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Church lures teenagers with assault rifle giveaway

rawstory.com

The church's youth pastor, Bob Ross, said the AR-15 semi-automatic assault rifle was a means of luring young people as far away as Canada, according to Oklahoma City's KOCO Channel 5 News.

“I don’t want people thinking ‘My goodness, we’re putting a weapon in the hand of somebody that doesn’t respect it who are then going to go out and kill,'” said Ross. “That’s not at all what we’re trying to do.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   
This is kind of interesting. A church louring people with a rifle give away. This is actually an annual shooting event that the church is involved in. I can't say how common this because I have no idea. All I can say is I never heard of any church I was involved with havening an evening like this.

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   
It's not an assault rifle, it's an AR-15.

I saw the news clip while down state and it had a kid shooting a real assault weapon. That kid was tearing up the water filled milk jugs. There was a adult right behind him.

I got no problem with this. The more children are taught about firearms the safer they will be.

Oh yeah, later they said they were going to drop the give-a-way because someone wasn't going to show up,or something. I think the church got cold feet.

Roper

[edit on 13-7-2008 by Roper]

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Roper

I agree people should be taught weapon safty if they have any intenchen at all of handling weapons.
But is an AR 15 not considered to be an assault weapon?

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   

The gun giveaway is a part of the event's shooting competition. A gun was given away at last year's conference and this year, Windsor Hills Baptist used the giveaway in the marketing of the event on its Web site (see above picture).

I can't believe that a church youth conference would actually have a shooting competition. Because, you know, by and large kids are actually mature enough to handle deadly weapons.

And yes, the AR-15 is a semi-automatic assault rifle. It's not a hunting rifle. You can't really go hunting quail or rabbit or deer with one of these things.

It is sad to see that a church thinks it's fine to indoctrinate into children that assault weapons are an intergal part of a morally just life.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 09:42 AM
link   
it sounds like someone should learn a little about firearms, AR15 is most definatly an assault rifle
hence the AR before the 15. or maby you need 30 rounds for hunting?

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by maria_stardust

And yes, the AR-15 is a semi-automatic assault rifle. It's not a hunting rifle. You can't really go hunting quail or rabbit or deer with one of these things.

NO IT"S NOT! An Assault weapon is short barreled and select fire. The one that they were showing looked like an A2.

I can kill rabbits, P. dogs, coyotes, deer, antelope with an AR-15.

Roper

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   
And Abraham Said to Issac, Send Ar-15s to all the land of Our Believers and Set forth Upright upon this quest of Banishing Ev--_-Vil....... Amen....

Ive seen it all, Now school s are going to be using Prostitution as a Means to keep people in school and Doing well..... Lol

Yeap. The world is Loosing its Battle with Reality.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Well here is some more information on what is or is not an assault rifle.

Examples of assault rifles include the AK-47, the M16 rifle,the FAMAS and the Steyr AUG. Semi-automatic rifles, including commercial versions of the AR-15, and "automatic" rifles limited to firing single shots, even though incorrectly classified in the United States as assault rifles by the now defunct 1994 Assault Weapons Ban, are not assault rifles as they are not selective fire. Belt-fed weapons or rifles with very limited capacity fixed magazines are also generally not considered assault rifles.
wiki

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
And it shall come to pass: If you do not have an AR15, you should sell your cloak and buy one!

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I'd be more inclined to go to church if the Methodist church my family belongs to was into this!

I'll take a preban SKS thanks!

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Roper

Agreed.

Make me wonder what experiences some people have had with hunting and rifles. I have taken a few feral hogs with an AR-15. Hogs are tough critters.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
I'd be more inclined to go to church if the Methodist church my family belongs to was into this!

Got to say I probably would have been also.
Don't really see that happening however.

new topics

top topics

join