It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does McCain think his war record matters? Does it make him better?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:36 AM
link   
So the old guy was in the military. How does that make him a better president? is there anywhere in the constitution where it says a president must have a war background? I don't think so. Still, why do Americans think we need a war hero as a president? in no relation does it have to do with the job. it's like hiring Rambo to run your cleaning service at home.

So I propose this question. Who makes a better president? A Soldier? A Lawyer? A housewife or a Doctor?

Personally, I think a military background is not what the presidency needs. People like McPain or any other soldier, all they think about is buying tanks, jets, carriers, guns, etc. They are all about military spending we don't need that.

Lawyers, I don't trust them. reason I don't trust Obama Hussein.

In my opinion, people who serve people would make a better president. School teacher, Doctor, housewife, mother.

Discuss.

Mod Edit by your friendly neighbourhood Neformore - The Candidates name is John McCain, and the title has been edited to reflect this.

From the Terms and Conditions

1). Posting: You will not post any material that is knowingly false, misleading, or inaccurate.

Lets try and keep things factual

[edit on 9/0708/08 by neformore]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:53 AM
link   
McCain was a prisoner of war, so in a way he was a bad soldier because he got captured and didn't escape. Washington was the general of our army, we guys like washington, not mccain.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Let's not forget he lost, what? 5 planes? And has been accused of more damage than that.

Google McCain and wet start. Read, educate.

Ladies and Gentleman, which side of the same coin will you choose?

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I can tell you are a youngster.

This is a generational thing that is a holdover from the draft era. If you were a man, and ran for office, you always threw out the wife and kids and the service medals. If you had no medals, everyone knew you were 4-F, (Look up the term 4-F) unless you showed off your educational background, THEN we knew you had deferments and babies to knock your A-1 status down to A-2.

This will become more and more apparent with the younger politicians aspiring for higher offices.

Does it really matter about the military service, I look at the person not the party, and what he has done with the military being a small part of it. Being a POW doesn't speak much for a military record, it does speak of patriotism in that he never broke and kept his oath intact. Obama has a history of community service, it is just as important for me in these regards.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by jedimiller
So I propose this question. Who makes a better president? A Soldier? A Lawyer? A housewife or a Doctor?

I don't think any one of these previous occupations inherently makes a better president. It's the person, not what they do, that matters. A person with qualities of leadership, integrity, compassion, honor and good judgment makes a better president.

McCain's service does not make him any more qualified for the position than anyone else. Especially since I'm not sure how quiet he kept. In fact, I'm not too sure about anything regarding McCain's time in Hanoi...

Source
Source
Source

Google Songbird McCain...

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Does it make him better?

It shows that he loves his country more than his own life.
I happen to think that makes him 'better' than those who want
to be POTUS solely to further their own bank accounts.

(and no .. I'm not voting for him)

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Its not an official qualification by any means, but we certainly judge our elected officials based upon the lives they've led. McCain spent 20 years in the military. Its largely who he is and for that reason, yes, it does matter.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Obama turned the election into a popularity contest between himself and Hillary.

Unfortunately for him, he's started playing by republican rules, and they wrote the book on popularity contests.

McCain might not think his war record matters, but that doesn't make a difference if the people voting for him think it does.

[edit on 10-7-2008 by Anti-Tyrant]

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
It is doubtful that we, the voting masses, will ever, truly know what Sen. McCain "thinks of his qualifications"; the last thing a politician would ever confess are his/her "true" beliefs.

Unfortunately, the public appeal of "Philospher Kings" faded with the golden age of ancient Greece.

Our fascination with, and preference for, "Warrior Kings" (or at least those wannabe kings who can portray themselves, convincingly as "Warriors") has been the norm since then.

Probably stems from an early realization by an ancient ruling class that an obedient militarized society is far easier to control than an educated, independently thinking and questioning, society.

Ease of control ensures continued status, and power/perks as the ruling elite, so a militarized society it became.

Hence, we live in a (global) culture where learning is considered "work" while warfare (and the obedience-based hierarchial structures it instills) is considered a form of recreation, play.

The "School" of hard knocks vs. war "Games", for example.

It is insidious.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bhadhidar

Unfortunately, the public appeal of "Philospher Kings" faded with the golden age of ancient Greece.

I beg to differ.

During Medieval times, A lot of power came from the church/vatican, and they had the power to excommunicate families if they didn't meet the vatican's expectations.

In a sense, during Medieval times, the representatives of the old eastern and western orders of christianity were akin to God-Kings in terms of simple power.

And that, is something that hadn't been seen since the death of Julius Caeser.

But it goes back right to the beginning of civilisation too, with the legends of Gilgamesh and the Sumer dynasties.

I think "public appeal" for that type of aesthetic leadership is something that will always stay within the human conciousness, regardless of whether or not we do away with religion.

There is always going to be some mad bloke who says he's been contacted by God - it's just that nowadays instead of making kings out of them, we let them waste away in our streets and back alleys.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by LordBaskettIV
McCain was a prisoner of war, so in a way he was a bad soldier because he got captured and didn't escape.

this is the most disrespectful post i have ever had the displeasure of reading. i dare you to say that to a pow's face or their faimly or any service member for that matter..

you dont just up and walk out of a pow camp. both of my grand fathers were pow's. one in the asian theater and one in europe. both of them were highly respected soilders.

id bet this man you dont like has done more for his country while he was asleep than you have done in your whole life.

you make me sick....

to the OP:

i dont think it makes him more qualified but it does show his convections for this country. i am no mccain fan, but i respect his service to this nation..

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
People need to eductae themseles on what McCain has done in his life. Learn what he did to the POW/MIA movement when he returned from the war. Learn about the circumstances of his divorce from his first wife. Learn about his complete military record. Yes, to his credit he served in the military. But was that becuase of his love for country or becuase it was (and remains) a family tradition? McCain was a POW. But 'Red' McDaniels was also a POW, captured before McCain and released after McCain. Captain McDaniels is credited with creating a prisoner communications system that saved POW lives and for which he was repeatedly tortured. Unfortunately for Captain McDaniels, his father wasn't a high-ranking military official and he wasn't able to use that to mitigate his situation.

McCain is not who is trying to potray himself to be. I'm less than hopeful that the American public will come to realize this before it is far, far too late.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaleGribble
... i dare you to say that to a pow's face or their faimly or any service member for that matter..

you dont just up and walk out of a pow camp. both of my grand fathers were pow's. one in the asian theater and one in europe. both of them were highly respected soilders.

Dale... although I understand your taking exception to that comment, perhaps you should look into McCains activities as they relate to the plight of POW/MIA's before you defend the man. He doesn't deserve your understandable outrage.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

while you may be right.

i was responding to the broader statement that implied if as a pow you didnt escape then that makes you a bad soilder.

i wasnt defending McCain personaly. maybe i should have cleared that up in my first post.

to be honest i dont really care enough about mccain to learn about his past...

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I really don't hear McCain discussing his military service too much. John Kerry talked more about his military career (all 173 days of it) alot more than McCain has.

Democrats care alot more about military service. Why do you think they are constantly bashing McCain's if it didn't matter?

[edit on 10-7-2008 by RRconservative]

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Still, why do Americans think we need a war hero as a president? in no relation does it have to do with the job...

Well, maybe because the President of the US is the Commander in Chief of the armed forces. While I don't think that military experience is a 100% necessity, I would hardly say that "in no relation does it have to do with the job."

And by the way, while I don't think people should vote for McCain just because he was in the military, I greatly respect his service to our country.

And also...

Lawyers, I don't trust them. reason I don't trust Obama Hussein.

Then I hope you don't ever need one. We're not all bad, you know.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Why does it matter?

Let's see...

It was a factor, maybe the most important one, in making him, for better or for worse, what he is today...

Anything we do is important in determining what we are, or will be...

"songbird", BH? If his activities as a POW were that below board, as I once thought, do you not think charges would have been brought at some point?

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Has anyone checked McCain's unredacted Medical History? I'm not sure I want to trust the country to a prescription for Aricept. It's the medication used to slow down the onset or progress of Alzheimer's.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Source
Source
Source

Google Songbird McCain...

I wonder if anyone in those sources has been tortured? The North Vietnamese weren't exactly putting women's underwear on their heads, or doing naked butt pyramids, either.

"He broke his arms by failing to pull them in during the eject cycle." I don't see what that matters (as quoted in a source). A lot of guys had back and arm/leg injuries sustained during the ejection.

There seems to be a lot of "former POWs" that say McCain is BS, yet their names aren't mentioned. A lot of named POWs come forward and said McCain did his best.

And besides, his war record doesn't matter. Remember, that what the Dems said about Clinton.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

then people like lincoln, wilson, truman, fdr, would never be preseident. reagan spent the war making propaganda films. not every one is right for military service but have other qualities that would make them excellent presidents.

and before any one corrects me, lincoln had one very small excursion in the local militia. they spent most of the day drinking.

<<   2 >>

join