It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do I hate everything.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 02:48 AM
link   
That was some fast replying.

The catalyst which drives me to hatred and utterly disgusts me is simply the very way in which the modern world and society operates. Someone nailed it when they said it didn't used to be like this. That in today's society we are striving to become someone we're not - where the end game is extravagance, wealth, power, by following celebrities, advertising, etc. We feel we're entitled to something that we haven't even earned. We don't live real lives the way they were meant to be lived. I'm not naive enough to think that times don't change, but this world and people in it are NOT meant to exist on the level that they do currently in this 21st century.

Money is the lubricant for every single facet of our society. From the smallest things to the most grand, you can't do anything 'functional' without it. You can't even go and live in the woods without money because you still have to acquire the land, pay property taxes, do your paperwork, pay fees, etc. Without cash you are simply living on the streets homeless. Sure you can get away from the stress of it all for a while by relaxing, camping, hiking, doing whatever you love....but sooner or later you have to face reality again. When is the next bill due.

**Let me throw a disclaimer in here quickly and say that this belief is derived from Western culture and life in the United States.**

Having said this...Yes I have a roof over my head, I understand that I don't have to worry about where my next meal is coming from. I understand that I'm in the top 10 or even 5% of the world's "elite" population. I understand that the mere fact of having shoes probably get me into this category. I know that 90% of the world has it worse. What I am telling you is that in the society which I live in (See above disclaimer), life should not exist as it does, and it's all because of money.

The very wealthy are pompous, corrupt people who range from disgusting arrogant movie stars / athletes all the way to corrupt business tycoons. Is it fair that on the same day a child is born into a family in the inner city that's struggling with violence and drugs, that a separate child is born to Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes and will live a life never having to work a minute of its life, will be horribly spoiled, will drink and undoubtedly abuse drunks and party every night without a care in the world? No.

You think an athlete should make $200 million dollars while homes still aren't being rebuilt after Katrina? Sure they donate and help, but again it's all F'ing fake. They are living the party life and own 10 mansions and 30 cars.

Anyway I'm ranting, but the world disgusts me.

In terms of my comments earlier about money and the world: To everyone who supports and understands what I'm trying to convey, thanks - we're definitely on the same wavelength. To those who do see it but feel it's not all bad, you're entitled to your opinions. To those who feel they've insulted me, it's okay! I promise it is. I never take anything personally and value the input.

In terms of the hating everything subject and me personally:

Unfortunately I'm coming to realize that for the past few years I've neglected a fair amount of things that I shouldn't have in the pursuit of more money (imagine that). And of course nothing works out quite right.

Family is and always will be the most important thing. Friends, sure they're there but that doesn't bring me happiness. I need to do a re-evaluation of just what does make me happy, nothing I can think of truly does.

To the person who asked what am I doing to change my life? Considering I need a job that pays the bills, not much career (change) wise. Yup, I hate my job even though it's listed in the top 50 of best companies to work. I've gotten 2 promotions within the past 2 years and am actually making a good amount money, but I really REALLY don't care. I hate it. Life isn't meant to be working from age 18 to 65. It's all B$. If I found something that I actually may want to do - I guarantee you it won't net any $$ at all, and I'd probably also have to leave family, friends, and responsibilities behind, and I won't do that.

Life isn't fair, karma does not exist, and it's getting worse every day. I see the scumbags of the Earth becoming wealthier and getting away with everything under the sun just because they have cash.

I see good, honest, hard-working people getting F-ed over left and right, getting poorer, and it's both disgusting and infuriating.

So again I ask what is the purpose of life? To do what we want to do, to reproduce, what is it??? Whatever it is i bet you need some kind of money to do it.

**To everyone that offered support and wanting to talk, thanks and I'll be in touch to discuss how we feel, discuss life in general, etc. Truly shining stars in an otherwise world of full of $H(@ that is modern society.

Also I'm sure I missed typing or responding to someone, I'll respond when I get home from work tomorrow. It's 4:01 AM and I have to wake up at 6:30 AM for work. 2 and a half hours of sleep and off I go, I really love my job.

[edit on 9-7-2008 by Ajax]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Family is and always will be the most important thing. Friends, sure they're there but that doesn't bring me happiness.

I absolutely know what you mean. Unfortunately for me, my family are all conservative Christians, and I'm agnostic. So there's a huge gap between me and my entire family. I know they say friends are your chosen family, but it's just not the same.

Having realised that, I've moved on to the idea of creating my own family (ie a relationship, hopefully marriage & kids down the line). Unfortunately for me, I'm too shy and far too emotionally dysfunctional to actual make anything happen there, so it's been another dead end for me.

Anyway, enough complaining from me - that wasn't the point of my rant. My point is that I think a lot of people are unhappy because their priorities are out of line. I personally think my priorities are in line (all I really want to do is love and be loved), but sometimes that's not enough. Sometimes the universe just doesn't agree with you. People need to realise that misaligned priorities can cause unhappiness, but that doesn't mean that correctly aligned priorities bring happiness.

I just think there's far too much airy-fairy optimism thrown around when people talk about depression or negative feelings. People need to be aware of reality. If you talk people into believing that if they just think happy thoughts everything will turn out, then they're just going to fall even harder when the universe throws them a curve ball (which it invariably does).

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ajax
That was some fast replying.

The catalyst which drives me to hatred and utterly disgusts me is simply the very way in which the modern world and society operates. Someone nailed it when they said it didn't used to be like this. That in today's society we are striving to become someone we're not - where the end game is extravagance, wealth, power, by following celebrities, advertising, etc. We feel we're entitled to something that we haven't even earned. We don't live real lives the way they were meant to be lived. I'm not naive enough to think that times don't change, but this world and people in it are NOT meant to exist on the level that they do currently in this 21st century.

I don't think everyone is like that, i don't strive to be rich, i couldn't give a damn about possessions to be honest with you. I find the most pleasing things in life to be things like harvesting my own stuff i grow, walking in the local woods, staring into a flower (yes yes i know i'm a hippy). However i've never strived to be like a celebrity and hold people like Paris Hilton in utter contempt.

Money is the lubricant for every single facet of our society. From the smallest things to the most grand, you can't do anything 'functional' without it. You can't even go and live in the woods without money because you still have to acquire the land, pay property taxes, do your paperwork, pay fees, etc. Without cash you are simply living on the streets homeless. Sure you can get away from the stress of it all for a while by relaxing, camping, hiking, doing whatever you love....but sooner or later you have to face reality again. When is the next bill due.

Contrary to belief, money is not the root of all evil. It can be used for evil things or to help a starving person. Intent is the key to everything, the rich are rich because they love money and power, the people who don't love money and power don't tend to have money. However one thing should be pointed out, there are many people who are not rich and very happy, i'm one of them.

**Let me throw a disclaimer in here quickly and say that this belief is derived from Western culture and life in the United States.**

Sadly England is becoming the same as the USA in regards to celebrity and feeling entitled.

Having said this...Yes I have a roof over my head, I understand that I don't have to worry about where my next meal is coming from. I understand that I'm in the top 10 or even 5% of the world's "elite" population. I understand that the mere fact of having shoes probably get me into this category. I know that 90% of the world has it worse. What I am telling you is that in the society which I live in (See above disclaimer), life should not exist as it does, and it's all because of money.

I think it depends how you look at it. You can buy into chasing tons of money and getting that new wide screen, hi-def, plasma tv, or you can choose not to buy into it. You can choose to use money to pack your life with real experiences, stretch every penny as far as it'll go so that you enjoy it instead of spending it on meaningless rubbish. Instead of spending £1200 pounds on a tv, why not spend it on a holiday to somewhere you've always wanted.

I'd prefer two weeks backpacking in Dubai to a new tv i promise you that.

The very wealthy are pompous, corrupt people who range from disgusting arrogant movie stars / athletes all the way to corrupt business tycoons. Is it fair that on the same day a child is born into a family in the inner city that's struggling with violence and drugs, that a separate child is born to Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes and will live a life never having to work a minute of its life, will be horribly spoiled, will drink and undoubtedly abuse drunks and party every night without a care in the world? No.

I beg to differ, there are a few very nice rich people you know, but i agree most of the super rich tend to be arrogant fools, that however is why they're rich. Especially the ones born into it, because they don't know what real life is, not their fault though i suppose.

You talk of fairness? Well i'm afraid the old phrase of "life isn't fair" comes to mind. Listen it's not money that's the problem here, if you went back to nature you'd find life isn't very fair. Heres a hint, life will never be fair, ever, at any point. Bad things will happen to good people and good things will happen to bad people, that's why people invented a belief in god, so that they can justify what happens on earth.

You think an athlete should make $200 million dollars while homes still aren't being rebuilt after Katrina? Sure they donate and help, but again it's all F'ing fake. They are living the party life and own 10 mansions and 30 cars.

Anyway I'm ranting, but the world disgusts me.

You know i'm starting to think you're just jelous of the rich, i'm also starting to think you are too focused on the money side. You seem to hate the rich and yet equate money and having a good time.

Unfortunately I'm coming to realize that for the past few years I've neglected a fair amount of things that I shouldn't have in the pursuit of more money (imagine that). And of course nothing works out quite right.

The first truly sensible thing you've said. It's always seemed to me that those chasing money relentlessly are rarely happy. Whereas people who love their job, whether it's farm work or office work seem to be quite content. Getting a job you enjoy, even if the pay sucks, will lead to a lot more happiness, think it's rubbish if you want.

Family is and always will be the most important thing. Friends, sure they're there but that doesn't bring me happiness. I need to do a re-evaluation of just what does make me happy, nothing I can think of truly does.

Eeek, you know friends and family are what keep my life happy! I'll never understand people obsessed with money as what makes them happy. So my suggestion is try everything, go sky diving, go hiking, go monutain climbing, do everything until you find something that fits.

So again I ask what is the purpose of life? To do what we want to do, to reproduce, what is it??? Whatever it is i bet you need some kind of money to do it.

To enjoy it usually requires money, but not as much as you seem to think. My own uncle recently travelled around asia for about 6 months on £3,000. There are many things which are free though, doesn't cost anything to walk through a wood and admire nature, sit on a cliff top and watch the sun go down, sit in the sun with a cool breeze etc. I think you are concentrating on money far to much, out of all things, money is the last to bring me happiness.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheStev
I just think there's far too much airy-fairy optimism thrown around when people talk about depression or negative feelings. People need to be aware of reality. If you talk people into believing that if they just think happy thoughts everything will turn out, then they're just going to fall even harder when the universe throws them a curve ball (which it invariably does).

Afraid that's wrong. I'm one of those airy fairy optimistic types and the universe has hit me with a massive problem. I'm very ill, rarely able t get out of my house because i'm physically unable and guess what, i'm still happy! I concentrate on the things i have and can do, not on what i've lost and can't do. I find it preferable to wallowing in hatred and despair. My view is that if people concentrated more on the good parts of life, then they'd be happier.

Either that or maybe a drug company could sample my brain, i think they'd make a fortune in finding new anti-depressants

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Look at all the people responding to this thread, Unlike most threads I read all the replies and the post ofcourse, and it seems to be striking a chord with a lot of people including me. Some agree with you on most levels, some disagree with your point of view on certain things.

You are "right" no matter what way you see the world, because that IS the way you see the world, it IS your point of view.

Money = Happiness, At least a decent ammount of it to get by lets be specific, 500 dolars a week would be fine right?

Any Work = Sucks, Unless you happen to get a cool gamer testing job where u wake up any time u want and play games all day, or get paid for doing a podcast ur interested in (thats what im hoping to do, google conspiracast)

Some people equated your emotion and cognition with depression, but I'm stongly guessing that the depression would be cured immediatley with 1 Million Dollars.

I think we are all a lot like you, but some dont even realise it. I am exactly like you and it got to a point where i had to do something about it, so I changed my life completley, Im still in the change but life has improved 70%.

I knew i needed to sacrifice friends and family and "normal" lifestyle to do it, it was worth it for me.

Basically, I dont need to work anymore but i live off a minimal ammount in a cheap country this took about 5 years pain in the ass work, and im still not happy with it but its better then being in that situation where i feel i cant do anything about it. I found a beautifull gf, and persuing the goals im interested in myself, i.e surfin the net all day and sharing the info with you good people.

I know though that my journey is not over either, and i know i cant live like this forever, but thats level 2 and i cant tell you that story yet coz it hasnt happened. I know im going to need, guess what, yes more money.

I could go on and on. But basicly i agree completley 100% with you, and im trying to encourage you to think of it as a life and death matter, is there anything you can do to change it to the life you want? What would it take? You seem like a very inteligent individual and I bet you could come up with some answers instead of the stubborn one, Im not trying to save you or anything coz you know as much as I do that deep down humans dont give much of a crap about each other at all. Its all about looking after number 1, and investing in what will give you the outcome you want.

Heres a quick example of what I mean n reality, average teen works there ass off into their twenties, say they earn 20 - 30k a year, If they saved ALL of that and stayed with their parents for 10 years i.e age 17-27 they would be close to 1 million dollars and could retire before theyre 30 and chill out and play those games i was talkin about. You get the idea kind of. Rob a bank is another idea but youd really need to be good at that to get away with it hahaha. Ok i better stop typing and go eat.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 08:07 AM
link   
OP:

Agreed, agreed, agreed.

The single most annoying thing...ever...would have to be those people that insist that my life (and theirs), mean a damn thing.

We live insignificant lives on an equally insignificant rock. I am fine with that, and I accept it. What I can not accept is spending the most active and vibrant years of my life helping assholes find things or helping assholes make more money. For some reason though, this makes me the one who, "just doesn't get it."

You want to waste your life at a job you hate because you have to pay someone for the honor of being allowed to live? Fine by me. But don't drag me down...or give me grief...because I can't resign myself to that.

I realize that we are something astronomically less important than we seem to think we are. We are less important than we could possibly conceive. Our lives don't matter, so why am I forced to use what little time I have trying to find the meaning that someone else insists is there?

Why can't I live and let that alone be it's meaning? I am nothing; I am born; I experience; I die; I am nothing once more. That doesn't change because I achieved some societal conception of 'fullfillment'.

More importantly, why does the other party always assume that its depression, a lack of spiritual fullfillment, poor cosmic alignment or some other crap, that accounts for my world-view? Why is my point of view always under attack; that it is simply an extension of my own, flawed, psyche?

Bullsh#t! I think it's the one trying desperately trying to find some 'higher purpose' who is naive. It's the one who clings to ridiculous dogma and faith who is misguided. It's the one who can't face the fact that, no matter how precious and special they think their life is, you need only to move two inches to the cosmic left and it's as if they never even lived at all.

Leave me alone to enjoy my insignificant life. Stop trying to insist that I can't be happy because this is how I see my (our) place in 'it all'.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I think the whole deal is BS. By whole deal, I don't just mean the governments or society or culture. I mean the universe and all of existence. There is so much anger and depression inside me. I don't know how anyone can think there is an order or benevolent guidance to things.

Take, for example, unattainable desires. People all over the world have unattainable desires. Transgendered people for instance. Whether you think they are mentally ill or not, they still have a very real and strong desire that can never be truly realized. Who to blame for this?

I blame the whole deal. It is all BS. Existence is BS and if I ever decide to take that final option, it will be out of spite.

The only reason I am hanging on is to see the apocalypse firsthand.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by dedalive
Creating things is the only thing I've found to be satisfying enough to snap out of those despondent moments. For me it's music, but it could be anything. Try it out.

Agree with you here. I write, paint, sculpt, do cabinetry and woodworking, and play music. I am also an avid cook and trivia buff. These are the things that make me forget about everything. But it still lingers there in the background. And lately these things that gave me joy now feel like cheap distractions.

And for everyone posting about love. I am married to a woman i love and whose company I enjoy and who loves me deeply as well. And I am still depressed and full of rage about life. What is going to make me happy?

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Ajax

Wow man, you've been feeding on too much negativity. There's a lot of good out there if you allow yourself to see it. It's not all about money for a lot of people, and many who live on this earth are caring and compassionate individuals. We have so much garbage and negative crap beamed at us by the MSM that is only normal that we should begin to see life from a negative perspective. remember that much of what you see and hear from mainstream sources is meant to make you buy more though fear and greed. Don't buy into it. You have control friend.

[edit on 9-7-2008 by Silenceisall]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I hear you man, iv been feeling the same way far a couple years now, what is the point of this existance.

Everything revolvs around money, you spend most of your life doing things you don't even want to do for minimum wage pay it all out one the high cost of living, then do it all over the next week, also for my generation (early 20's) in the UK retirement age will be 68.

I think that's why there's a record number of people playing the lotto and gambling because they want to escape from it.

But don't giveup because there are millions of others just the same and face it nobody will come along and give you the perfect lifestle only you can do that.

[edit on 9-7-2008 by NeoSpace]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Why am I so jaded? Because at the bottom line the world isn't fair, it's just one big circus, a giant cluster F*(@. Stupid people get wealthy, good people get poor, and worse.

Sorry charlie, but you are misguided. Their are good wealthy people and stupid poor people.

Like all animals, the purpose of life is to multiply. So go and have some babies, then your lifes purpose has been fullfilled. Everyone wants their offspring to have a decent life so that is where money comes into play.

Personally, I think you must hate yourself to have such a negative view of everything. Perhaps you should see a doctor. I guess you could also be a fat, lazy bastard but I don't know you so, who knows?

[edit on 9-7-2008 by WhatTheory]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Ajax

See this story of this Mexican fisherman :
www.noogenesis.com...

But in today's world is not easy to be even a Mexican fisherman.
Search the books of Daniel Quinn. He explains very well what is wrong with civilization and how we got here. Our dream of ruling over nature and looking at the planet like it's our domain to "improve" did not make us more happy. On the contrary
Can't explain everything, here I opened a thread about him and his books :

www.abovetopsecret.com...

And here is a quote from his book Ishmael where he describes the "Leavers" of the world :

They’re not seething with discontent and rebellion, not incessantly wrangling over what should be allowed and what forbidden, not forever accusing each other of not living the right way, not living in terror of each other, not going crazy because their lives seem empty and pointless, not having to stupefy themselves with drugs to get through the days, not inventing a new religion every week to give them something to hold on to, not forever searching for something to do or something to believe in that will make their lives worth living. And—I repeat—this is not because they live close to nature or have no formal government or because they’re innately noble. This is simply because they’re enacting a story that works well for people—a story that worked well for three million years and that still works well where the Takers haven’t yet managed to stamp it out

The "leavers" are not some sect, they are all the people that lived and considered themselves as part of nature not her masters. We killed them wherever we found them. They did not live with a purpose, with a schedule : work, sleep, fun, they just lived.
And they lived in communities. Don't even know what that is for real, I live in a city and don't know my neighbors, only a few of them. I must imagine it from the brief experiences of community and freedom I have had in my life. Yes freedom. If I do as little as walk funny on the street I will surely be asked why do I do it

Here is a page from the book "The Culture of Make Believe" by Derrick Jensen , he describes the people that lived before him where he lives now in North California :

[edit on 9-7-2008 by pai mei]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Discotech

Originally posted by mrwupy
They are wrong. Hate is a choice, just like happiness is a choice. Which one you choose will determine the world you live in.

I'm sorry but you are the one who is so very wrong.

Hate & Happiness are both emotions and emotions are feelings, you cannot choose what you feel for something.

Here is a list of emotions. Link.

If you will notice, Hate is not listed among them. Neither is prejudice. That is because neither of them are emotions and you can live quite well without either one of them. Hate and prejudice are a state of mind.

We both agree that emotions are important. You cannot experience a full life without the range of emotions we have. Anger is an emotion and you could make yourself sick if you simply ignore it or bottle it up. Anger is not hate though.

Originally posted by TheStev

But hey, if you manage to become happy just by deciding to be happy - more power to you. Just don't go around preaching it like it will work for everyone, cause it simply doesn't.

You are absolutely right and I am wrong on this matter.

I'm one of the very fortunate people who did decide to be happy and like some waving of the magic wand, I was. For me, happiness was simply a decision. I believe it's just a decision for many other people who don't make it.

You're right that it doesn't work for everyone. People have chemical imbalances in their brain or sickness in their body that robs them of this choice.

Still, if I must be accused of being a preacher, at least I'm preaching happiness and not religion.

Love and light to each of you,

wupy

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
ajax - tru dat

you should live in the woods and grow weed!

money sucks! the world is changing! nbic convergence!

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Lot of replies again, very interesting stuff. Had a wonderful day on the job by the way..

Let me begin by agreeing that this concept or philosophy, no matter what your stance, really does seem to be striking a primal cord in all of us. That is what drove me to post. I truly believe that the primal cord it struck is that people understand on some rudimentary level that humanity is going in the wrong direction, even if it is merely dwelling in the subconcious mind.

Let me also begin by saying I am not depressed (at least not in the typical sense that you'd think of?), I am healthy and surprisingly more fit than I've ever been in my entire life (I'm not fat to the jokester in the peanut gallery), I have a wonderful girlfriend, and I am 27 years old, I have the societal conception of a 'perfect job', my parents are proud of me, I have a 'great' salary, I own 2 investment properties, and I couldn't be more disgusted by life. I consider myself horribly and hopefully not irrevocably jaded. Jaded by life, jaded by existence, jaded by all of the BS, jaded by false promises, jaded by scams, jaded by societal norms, jaded by status quo, jaded by EVERYTHING.
---

It's true that some rich people are actually good, yes some poor people are in fact bad people. But guess what, I'm not looking for anomalies. I'm not looking for "exceptions" to the rule. Please allow yourself to view society on a macroscopic level, look at the trends. This world is going to hell in a hand-basket and we are sending it there, regardless of our personal intentions.

The purpose of life is to reproduce? Great. Are you going to have that baby in a hospital or deliver it the good old fashioned way in the woods. Hopefully you work at a company that will pay for your insurance because you're not having a baby without cash, and certainly not providing it with what it needs. Ding-ding-ding $$$.

Take a nice long break or vacation doing what I love? Look up the definition of the word vacation, Please! A 6 month break touring Asia for only 3,000, that actually is truly amazing. But guess what, it's still money, and the job and responsibilities are still going to be waiting for you with a big smile on their faces when you return. By the way, if you take a 6 month vacation from any "professional" career, you will be laid off.

Some of you really have it. You do. Some of you really and truly understand me and a few are strikingly exactly like me. Yes, life is meaningless. We are pathetic, we are on an insignificant rock, in an insignificant universe, at an insignificant point in time with an insignificant future ahead of us. (Had to appeal to my supporters!
) On the other hand, some people seem to be grasping at a reality that does seemingly does not exist. Hear me out, and please don't be offended, because I think if you've truly found happiness then that is wonderful. If you are content to work your job and live you lives then I deeply, honestly, and whole-heartedly RESPECT and applaud you for it. Because it's something I cannot do. I am not you however.

I cannot fathom working the prime of my life away, wasting away in a cubicle how I currently am. Rotting away in my stereotypical metal coffin on the way to work. I cannot fathom why we work to make someone else richer while they pay us just enough to seem good so we don't leave the company, but just too little so we can't retire early. Why would a company want any employees to retire early? They don't, they have no incentive to, so they pay you less than you deserve so that you have to work well into your 60's.

People, this is not how life is supposed to be. THIS IS NOT how life is supposed to be!!!! I am not a hippie, but I would rather society be living that way. We do deserve something. We deserve to live a life free of slavery. I don't give a crap what you call it, the business world is a life of slavery because you NEED a job, because you NEED money, because you NEED to fit into the status quo, because you NEED to abide by law. (No I'm not advocating anarchism).

I guarantee you I would like to do manual labor rather than an office job just because you actually get outside and in the sun, get a workout, etc. But you are going to be doing it your entire life because it doesn't pay well. People, this society is WORSE than slavery. At least in slavery people weren't provided with a choice. This is cruel and unusual punishment because we have to choose how we want to rot away. We are doing this to ourselves, and yes I admit I am to blame here as well, but sadly it's the society that has been established that we are all confined to. The wealthy scumbags aren't confined in this way. There are ways around this type of living and I plan to find a way.

Had to throw the scumbag line in there again b/c of one poster. Jealous of the rich he/she said to me? Not particularly, I just feel that a lot of them are undeserving (look at trends). Sure some earned it, but a lot were born into it or got it through dumb luck and are undeserving. Am I deserving? Probably not. But there are far more deserving people that will never become rich and who bad and even horrible things happen to them. I understand the fact that I am never going to be able to do what I truly want to do for an INDEFINITE period of time without a certain amount of money. Vacation and money saved up will only get you away for so long before reality brings you back.

To the person who gave it all up and and doesn't really need to work anymore and lives in a cheap country. I applaud you sir, that's great and it's one way of beating the system. You've done what truly needs to be done in this life, but one that I unfortunately don't think I could do.

To the person who dropped me a hint that "life will never be fair, ever. at any point." *cough* ImaginaryReality1984 *cough* Thanks for the revelation, apparently you've missed this entire dialogue even though you quoted every section.

[edit on 9-7-2008 by Ajax]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy
Still, if I must be accused of being a preacher, at least I'm preaching happiness and not religion.

Well, yes and no. What you're preaching is a path to happiness, which is what most religions also preach. I'm just giving you a hard time, you're right of course. The path you're preaching is a much better one than the one most religions preach. In truth they don't preach a path to happiness, the preach a path to ignorance, and bliss just happens to be a side-effect

I actually think it's one of the meanings of life to find the thing or things which make us happy. It's just that identifying that thing is not enough, you need to be able to attain it. That's where I have fallen short personally.

It's difficult, though, because I think a certain amount of ignorance is required for happiness. The world is an ugly, brutal, dog-eat-dog place. There are beautiful things in the world, too, there's no argument from me there. But as a whole, the world is uncaring and harsh. If someone has intelligence enough to see that, they're bound to experience a certain amount of discontent.

To truly be happy, I think you need to be capable of ignoring the fact that the world is this way. That is, I think, the way in which ignorance is bliss.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I've more or less just scanned this topic since it's getting late and I need sleep.

I can understand the topic starter quite well. It's not how I usually feel, but I do have my 'everything is pointless'- days.

I wanted to suggest the following website. Various articles on it where at least somewhat comforting and supporting. I'm not saying/claiming that everything on it is the one and only truth, but IMHO it gives a few perspectives to 'hold on to'.

www.soulwise.net...

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   
When you feel you are hating everything just compare your situation with someone living in, say, Ethiopia or Zimbabwe. There, it's not about money. It's about survival. There is always someone worse off than you are; always.

Compared to the average human in the world, I bet you have quite a few luxuries. If you hate that, then might I suggest a return to nature. Living pastorally can be very rewarding. It is also quite a lot of work.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Life wasn't supposed to be this way. Adam and Eve screwed it up for everybody by being willfully disobedient.

We're supposed to be in perfect health with an athletic young body that never ages.

We're supposed to live forever.

This planet is supposed to be a complete paradise, not the horrible place it is now.

We're supposed to be in complete peace and harmony, enjoying everyday of life itself. That's the way things are supposed to be.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I may not be popular for this response, but I have witnessed depression first hand. I'm talking major depression where the world is bleak and nothing can make it better.

My advice would be to go see your doctor and talk to them about how you are feeling. Have you always felt this way or is it something new?

Medication does work for some. It doesn't mean you are weak and it doesn't mean that there is some big NWO conspiracy to medicate you. It CAN help some people.

You don't choose to be depressed, depression chooses you so to speak (again, for some people, not everyone), based on what is going on with the chemicals in your brain. So if you are clinically depressed, or angry, there is no amount of positive thinking in the world that is going to do a ton of good, imho.

If you had pneumonia, would you take a drug for it? Of course you would. Clinical depression is a disease that requires treatment.

See a doctor

Get some sunshine

Excercise more

Don't alienate yourself from your friends and family

Take care of YOU

Good luck, and I hope you feel better.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join