It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has Europe's terminal crisis begun with a triple no vote?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Has Europe's terminal crisis begun with a triple no vote?

www.telegraph.co.uk

The ultra-Europeans have overplayed their hand. We can now glimpse a chain of events that will halt, and reverse, this extremist push towards an Über-state that almost no one wants.

The attempt to override the triple "No" votes of the French, Dutch, and Irish peoples has brought the EU to a systemic crisis of legitimacy. A line too many has been crossed. Any sentient citizen can see that the process has become unhinged.

While "Europe" blunders on as if nothing has happened, it is now an open question whether the Lisbon Treaty - née Constitution - will ever come into force, whether the EU will ever acquire the machinery of an economic, diplomatic, and military power, and whether the euro will ever have a polity to back it up.
advertisement

Henceforth, Brussels will struggle to retain powers already amassed. Functions will flow back to the nation states, the proper venue for authentic democracy.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
The Euro is doomed to fail
The Euro is doomed! (Part 2)

Mod Edit - Headline: Please use the original story headline from your source.

[edit on 6/25/2008 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I have attempted twice to start an end of the EU thread an both times they were flamed out. Yes, I am trying again.

Proper disclosure: Long the US$ and short the Euro. I know that is not proper risk management, but thats how confident I am.

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Your sub primes issues are actually greater than ours here in the US. The housing boom and bust actually reached higher peaks, and is undoubtedly headed to lower lows. Unemployment levels are generally higher as a collective in the EU, so the pending recession you are about to get hit by will further hit your unemployment levels.

I am so glad most of you have been rooting for us here in the US to get a taste of some bad times. I have said it before and will say it again. WHEN THE US SNEEZES, THE REST OF THE WORLD CATCHES COLD. Time to go the doctors your about to get sicker then you ever expected.

Good night from the US.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I dumped all my Euro's months ago and bought Gold. Not sure if It will work but It felt right at the time!!!

Zindo

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 11:49 PM
link   
It will succeed precisely because europe is apathetic and uninformed about the unelected bureaucrats who really run the continent. Some of them, like Javier Solano, are garnering unprecedented power. Solano is not only unelected, but when I mention his name to europeans, they've invariably never heard of him, outside maybe Spain.

Thus europe will descend into it's prophesied dictatorship. The man of lawlessness will reign and europe will briefly rule the world.

Other than that I wouldn't be alarmed.

new topics

top topics

join