It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to Raise the Quality of This Forum's Threads

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Perhaps you should contact a moderator. The site I listed is not a discussion board, but a neutral database that chronicles the various candidates' voting histories and positions on the issues. It, in no way, competes with ATS. If you had taken the trouble to click on the link, you would know that.

In fact, you should go there and read about the candidates' positions and how they have voted over the years. It's pretty interesting.

I did go to the link and there is a forum tab at the top of the page. The forum is a political forum just like the ATS political forum, so I'm not sure who you're trying to fool here.

You even mentioned in you OP that ATS members should go there an discuss political issues.

This is where your link takes us:

See the forum that you claim isn't there?

So basically, you've layered dishonesty on top of the T&C violation by saying that the site you linked to, and encouraged others to post at, doesn't compete with ATS. It is a political discussion board.

Note to mods: Am I allowed to post threads encouraging people to go to other off-site discussion boards? Or is this considered spamming the ATS boards?

[edit on 16-6-2008 by jamie83]

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Hal9000

lloyd and jamie are our little friends with superior knowledge and wit.

They're a little cranky today as they did not receive their subscription to Dale Jr. monthly.
So don't let them bait you. If you ignore them they get really funny posting and reposting to get people to react. It's adorable.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
reply to post by Hal9000

They're a little cranky today as they did not receive their subscription to Dale Jr. monthly.
So don't let them bait you. If you ignore them they get really funny posting and reposting to get people to react. It's adorable.

No, you ignored my request to explain why you label people critical of Obama as racists.

And you should really stick to the T&C and discuss the issues, like BH suggests, rather than discuss other ATS members.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hal9000
reply to post by LLoyd45

What is your problem Loyd? She has given you the same explanation in as many ways possible.
My problem is all the whining I hear when anyone tries to vet the man. I'm also sick of the insinuations of ignorance and racism if he doesn't happen to be your cup of tea. He's a political candidate and a man. He deserves no "free Rides" on the critical scrutiny of his character simply due to his ethnicity.

What is it that BH is saying that really has you're panties in a bunch?
Don't wear'em, so the comment is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned.

Are you afraid more people might take her advice and ignore you folks? Don't worry I'm still here. I promise not to ignore you.
It's a free country, take whoever's advice that turns your crank.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

You definitely don't know me.. I hate NASCAR and wrestling. I guess that's your subtle attempt at implying Jamie and I are rednecks, huh? Well at least you refrained from using the term racist. It's a start to improving the quality of the thread.

You consider replying to other people's posts baiting? I guess people can take issue with just about anything nowaday's..

[edit on 6/16/08 by LLoyd45]

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by LLoyd45
My problem is all the whining I hear when anyone tries to vet the man. I'm also sick of the insinuations of ignorance and racism if he doesn't happen to be your cup of tea. He's a political candidate and a man. He deserves no "free Rides" on the critical scrutiny of his character simply due to his ethnicity.

I would hardly call what BH is complaining about "vetting". You and some others are obviously on some kind of campaign against Obama. I think you are either obsessed, or getting paid to do it.

edit: removed comment on under garment in the spirit of this thread.

[edit on 6/16/2008 by Hal9000]

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I've already picked up on the fact that you can't use freedom of speech here on certain issues. There is another forum I go to to debate anything political and thankfully you can speak your mind there without being singled out and losing points or whatever. I assume these are adults, if I don't like what people are saying I can always go to another thread or I can post a comment debating what I disagree with.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hal9000
I would hardly call what BH is complaining about "vetting". You and some others are obviously on some kind of campaign against Obama. I think you are either obsessed, or getting paid to do it.
I'm sorry to inform you Barack is the only candidate I know that has paid agents on the internet to disrupt threads that are not flattering to him. They're called Obama cybernauts, just like you have written under your avatar.

edit: removed comment on under garment in the spirit of this thread.
Thanks, I appreciate the courtesy.

[edit on 6/16/08 by LLoyd45]

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Another way to raise the quality of threads here is to think of some subjects that people might like to discuss having to do with the election, the candidates or anything happening around this very interesting year and start threads on them. If you google election and hit the News button, for example, there are thought-provoking subjects being discussed in the news.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by jamie83
I posted this thread on June 5:

Pledge for a Respectful Debate?

I've been very conscious of living by this "pledge" in all of my threads. I have really gone out of my way to avoid any personal attacks or insults aimed at candidates or fellow ATS members.

Jamie and myself had a good debate on Obama issues here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It was great just to discuss policies in a very clear and rational way. But it was also extremely boring (I guess) to the rest of the community. I think it added a lot of value to ATS, but didn't capture anyone's attention.

#

That debate ended cordially. Now I am here, defending his position on this thread. (Doesn't imply any concession -- it just the smart thing to do.)

So, let's keep gathering information and debating as we can. It is really a way of determining the truth, of sorts, and nobody should be dismissed (although leaving the table is something we can't really stop.)

Please take a look, BH -- the quality of these debates are not as low as you imply. In fact, in most cases, the quality of opinion is pretty high on both sides.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Sometimes I really wonder what the internet would be like if be could be held liable for slander...

I have a feeling the internet would become a much more peaceful place.

***dreams***

OP Posts: Obama not really American, Proof in his Fake Birth Certificate.

Reply 1: Hello, My Name is John Doe with the Doe Doe and Doe law firm. We are representing Mr. Obama's campaign, and are requesting you cease and desist your slanderous statements against Mr. Obama... Failure to do so will lead to legal proceedings.

OP post 2: Ohhh But I Really have proof... SEEE!!!! *holds up crappy picture found on a random website*

Reply 2: Dear ****,

As per our first request, you will be receiving a subpoena to court via expedited Courier. Please be prepare with an attorney at your appearance.

Sincerely,
John Doe.

Coven

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Buck Division
Please take a look, BH -- the quality of these debates are not as low as you imply. In fact, in most cases, the quality of opinion is pretty high on both sides.

I posted in that thread asking for a source to the material that was being presented. That's a "thing" for me. I want to see what Obama said, not Jamie's (or anyone's) interpretation of what he said. There is exaggeration in Jamie's interpretations.

"5. unconditional meetings with Iran, Cuba, N. Korea, Syria, and Hamas "

Unconditional? Where has Obama said he will have unconditional meetings with these countries? And let me see what he DID say. THEN, I would be THRILLED to give my opinion and debate it.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Buck Division

Thanks Buck! I agree. I'm not sure what reason anybody would have to encourage ATS members to leave this site and go to another forum to discuss the issues.

I'm also not sure why this is allowed. I thought that posting a thread telling ATS members to go off site to another forum to start threads on another board was against the T&C, but apparently it's not.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent HereticAnd let me see what he DID say. THEN, I would be THRILLED to give my opinion and debate it.

You have already proven yourself to be dishonest within your own thread. Why would anybody want to waste their time debating somebody who has no problem lying, especially about something so easily proven?

Are you still claiming that the site you encouraged people to post on isn't a discussion board? Is that how you suggest improving the quality of the threads -moving the discussion off ATS???

To raise the quality of threads it might be useful to not attempt to deceive people.

By the way, here's Barry O. answering the question in which he says "I would" about meeting with the rogues gallery of heads of state without preconditions. There's no need for interpretation, unless you can parse the sentence "I Would" into having a different meaning.

PS....

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

I posted in that thread asking for a source to the material that was being presented. That's a "thing" for me. I want to see what Obama said, not Jamie's (or anyone's) interpretation of what he said. There is exaggeration in Jamie's interpretations.

Know what's a "thing" for me?? People who don't know how to use Google and expect other people to always do research for them. And another "thing" for me is people who repeatedly violate the T&C by doing things like discussing the poster and not the topic.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

its funny though, jimmy

for the most part - any threads in opposition of mccain have had some merit, have had some actualy substanence to them. "I dislike McCain because of his policies, found "here" it makes me think he's another George Bush"

v.s. the 99.999999999% of obama threads that say
i dislike Barack Obama because Fox News tells me to.
I dislike Barack Obama because his birthcertificate seems shady
I dislike Barack Obama because he has Muslim ties *gasp* Do you realize how racist of a statement it is when someone says they dislike Barack Obama because he has ties to the muslim world.

Know who else had ties to the Muslim world?
Mohammad Ali

nobody's calling him a disgusting pig, despite the fact he cheated on numerous wives, had ties to radical muslims, and beat the **** out of men for a living.

People can be against Obama, thats not the issue.

The issue is that the people who are against obama are against him because they're being suckered through a cloud of ignorance the likes of which is only seen at election time.

If you'll remember, you've been part of previous threads with me that were anti-obama and i too was against the man.
Now- however, after actuall reading and educating myself on the actual issues/voting records/speeches given (that the media doesnt cover)
i can see my only choice.

I dont vote for Obama because i think he's the greatest president in history

i vote for Obama because i think he's the lesser of two evils.
All politicans are evil.

It's just too bad that the Greatest Candidate in the world was just a fictional character.

To say

"a majory of the threads here are pro-obama"

to justify the spewing of ignorance and filth in such a wonderful board in the form of inane chatter and foundationless obama-bashing is just dispicable.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jamie83

Jamie,

your video no longer exists

anyone who's ever challanged your radical ideals with facts and proof has seen you tuck tail and run. We're trying to improve the quality of discussion here, not degrade it further.

now run along until you can learn how to have a meaningful discussion, instead of troll for ATS points

and you further support my claim by insinuating that BH is trying to get this discussion moved to another board.

Wow. Your reading comprehension skills are in dire need of a tune-up if you believe that BH is trying to do that.

BH posted a link to a website that deals in raw-stone-cold facts. Unlike a lot of sources posted in the decision 2008 forum that look like some weird 12 year old kid posted them with minimal experience in photoshop to document their claims.

Facts v.s. Fiction

if you wanna live in the "fictional" world then "Decision 2008" isnt for you.

go seek out skunk works forum - really truely honestly and non-flammingly - i mean this - its right up your alley.

[edit on 16-6-2008 by Andrew E. Wiggin]

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Bombeni

If you dont like it here at ATS, then why are you posting here?
You remind me of the millions of people who say "Walmart is an evil corporation"

but go shop there because its more convienient.

if you dont like it here, head back to your other forum

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   

The issue is that the people who are against obama are against him because they're being suckered through a cloud of ignorance the likes of which is only seen at election time.

Al Gore invented the Internet by the way, oh yes he did

Cloud of ignorance, how about a Cloud of research? Research that has obviously gleaned in several facets that Obama is a corrupt lieing Marxist, Muslim radical racist.

He voted "present" more times in his 3 year Senate term than take a stand on something.

He has no idea what he's talking about when it comes to economics, thinks he'll find everything to pay for this, that and the other.

He believes in more taxes and bigger government.

Some Democrats (recently from Ohio and Oklahoma) no longer support him because they stated he is "too Liberal for me".

If that doesn't raise a control the Sheeple with a bigger dysfunctional govenrment and higher taxes and less freedoms than nothing will. You always be fooled.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by LLoyd45
I'm sorry to inform you Barack is the only candidate I know that has paid agents on the internet to disrupt threads that are not flattering to him. They're called Obama cybernauts, just like you have written under your avatar.

Well if your wondering if I am being paid, as I told you before, I wish I was. I just like the name.

I have not ran across many of your posts, as there are too many threads to read. And believe it or not, I do have other interests on this board. Something tells me this animosity is overflowing from the birth certificate thread, which I only read briefly. Why are you and jamie, bringing that to this thread?

If you are not being paid, then you must be obsessed. I will ask a similar question that I asked jamie in this post which has not been answered,... Why are you so obsessed with this? Why are you and jamie hounding another member only because they don't agree with you?

Thanks, I appreciate the courtesy.

Maybe you should try to show a little yourself. Thanks.

[edit on 6/17/2008 by Hal9000]

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by jetxnet

jetxnet, my man. How are you doing?

Cloud of ignorance, how about a Cloud of research?

Speaking of research, you really should revise your website. Did you read the analysis I did on your thread? I think you have a few problems with your claims.

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join