It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

we have been bamboozled!!!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by v4vendetta

you sound like racism doesnt exist for you.

If I sound like this it's because I don't let it exist for me. I am highly intelligent, resourceful, attractive, ambitious, and that is usually enough to get me where I want to go regardless of race. I've had the proverbial doors slammed in my face because of my race and sex, and I'm sure I will again, but I don't let it get me down. I don't cry and whine about it.

Like I said before, in my time on this planet I've seen the racism diminish exponentially from the time when I was a kid and no one was allowed to play with me. Things aren't perfect, but they are getting better not worse and I appreciate that.

Have you ever been racially abused or attacked?

Sure. I've never been physically attacked, but I've been threatened, insulted, mistreated, made fun of, etc...all the usual suspects.

I definitely agree with you about the whole celebrity/charity thing...it is complete and total BS. And you're right, it is all about self promotion. LOL no, I didn't watch the AI special because I can't stand that crap. If there's one thing I hate more than reality shows it's BS celebrity endorsements for charity. But I think it has much more to do with being a celebrity than it does with being white because tons of people give money to charity every day but don't pat themselves on the back on tv and in magazines.

If you want to watch a funny video that discusses celebrity selfrighteousness, then here you go. WARNING: foul language.

youtube.com...

As for Barack,

His chances are being sabotaged before he even gets there because of his skin colour

I totally disagree. He's not being sabotaged at all. Where do you get this from? Here the media has practically performed sexual acts on him from the beginning. He is definitely not wanting for positive attention. And this goes back to my previous point that minorities have to achieve much less than white people to be praised in the same way.

Barack Obama is as inexperienced as they come, yet people act as if he's going to bring about the golden age. He says he's not President Bush. That's great - I'm not either. Does that mean I automatically should be the next president? I hope not. He says he's going to bring about change. Well in my opinion that change would be in the wrong direction.

You say your a minority but you seem stone cold when it comes to admitting that WE have to try that little bit extra.

Stone cold because I don't whine about it? I'll consider that a compliment. Like I have said before, I do think minorities have a harder time in some circumstances than a white male would. However, minorities can rest on their laurels much longer than a white male ever could because less is expected of them.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by djerwulfe
In the US there is a climate of victimization and blame. If you aren't responsible for yourself then you also have no power.
Instituional racism is a two-way street.
It's like addiction.

****I think it's also to point out that very often in North America class struggle gets lumped in with racial conflict. This is unfortunate and an effective issue smokesecreen.
CLASS not RACE. That's what I think many people are frustrated with.
Culture not Skin.

Agree, agree, and agree. Star for that!

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by sc2099

Yes, you DO sound highly intelligent and dare i say, attractive even.

Im really sorry for asking if you were racially abused, i apologize if i dredged up unpleasant memories, and thank you for sharing them.
I hope it never happens to you again. I'll beat them up for you if i could...

I agree, i hate it when i overhear someone whining that they were discriminated 'cos of skin colour, it shifts the blame somewhat and it does get a bit boring.
BUT i completely sympathise, because 8 out of 10 times the incident will be genuine and victims of pure hatred and racism do exist.

Back to Obama, im just sceptical on his chances thats all.

"The worst racists are the ones who are nice to you" - aka.V4Vendetta

[edit on 22-6-2008 by v4vendetta]

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by v4vendetta

That's ok. I didn't take any offense to anything you said, and thank you for caring so much about my feelings. I can tell you are a very nice and sincere person.

I don't think people are making it up when they say they were discriminated against...usually. The problem is there are the loudmouths who if someone looks at them crossways they were being a racist. And this just makes everyone look like they are crying wolf when of course it's not true.

As for Obama, I think his race is working for him rather than against him. Former Democratic VP nominee Geraldine Ferraro got lambasted for her opinion that Obama wouldn't be in such a prominent position if he were not black and I agree with her. And I think that if a conservative party had a female or minority leader, they would be in like flint for years to come. Just look at Margaret Thatcher. If there were a woman like that today who was a minority it would blow every single stereotype about both sexes, all races, and both parties into a million pieces which is what I think needs to be done.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by sc2099

Yes. Agreed. The dems choices here for this election were disappointing.
I really wanted to see some strong contenders, not popular ones.
Perhaps a squandered opportunity.
Thatcher.
I can't say I agree with her every move or stance, but then I wasn't a UK citizen at that time, so...
But she was/is an overlooked highly influential female.

There are some minority Thatcher-esques out there that have been ignored becasue they don't make for interesting lcd television/media.

[edit on 23-6-2008 by djerwulfe]

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
The most powerful office in history..Hmmm, I don't think so. Maybe the most prestige. Regardless of whether the next president is white or a minority, we will have the same results. Since FDR, congress has slowly and truly limited the amount of powers the president wields. Congress has the powers and no president, white or black, will outdo the congress. So I personally see no reason to get into the race issue. LBJ, Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Bush seldom delivered on their campaign promises because of two reasons, Congress and payback. Congress looks after their own self interest and will throw the president under a bus if he tries to make them look bad. They object to every presidential suggestion and instead pass their own version filled with greed and pork. Many companies that lobby congress are the ultimate winners and we the taxpayers are the losers. Has any of these companies or contractors that have bilked the US out of billions of wasted taxpayers money ever been punished? Seldom. Usually, you hear that millions were wasted and unaccounted for and the story fades. The second reason is payback. The individuals running for president has to payback the financial supporters that put him or her in that office. Do you really think influential people are going to sacrifice time, money and effort just for a simple thank you. I don't think so. There is always a hidden agenda. Mccain and Obama would both make good presidents. The sad part is that no matter what good intentions they have of helping the American people, these intentions will never be fulfilled. There are people more powerful than the president that dictate what policies will be implemented. Policies that are influenced by money rather than what's good for the people. One thing is for sure we have been bamboozled into debating race rather than the injustice being done to all Americans. The race card is merely a tool of government to keep us all divided so they the government can continue business as usual.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

No doubt, you are correct, but this is more about social climate and public perception, symbolism, than actual policy making.
Perception and consensus have tangible effects on the markets.

<< 2  3  4   >>

join