It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DC police turn back cars at weekend checkpoint

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   

DC police turn back cars at weekend checkpoint

www.boston.com

June 10, 2008

WASHINGTON—District of Columbia police say they stopped about half of 50 cars at a weekend checkpoint set up in a neighborhood struggling with the gun violence.

Police say the checkpoints will run for at least five days, despite warnings from civill rights groups that they could take legal action.

Police on Saturday checked driver licenses and turned back about half of all motorists in the Trinidad neighborhood. They say they arrested one person for driving with alcohol and turned away those who couldn't prove they were visiting a relative, doctor or a local church event.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 10/6/08 by xstealth]

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Throw the Constitution and Bill of Rights out the window, as Bush says "Its just a damn piece of paper"

This is so sick, turning back people for driving. This has to stop.

www.boston.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by xstealth

Yep, I remember hearing them talk about it on Faux News and one of the poeple brought up the Constitution and the host said "Forget our rights if it saves lives", yeah hot host lady you are 100% right

Sad, sad gov we have.

Hey I was wondering, where exactly is that quote from Bush at? I'd love to see if it is on YouTube or something, it would prove to my parents that Bush is not the Christian he claims to be and maybe they would think twice when it comes to what he says is right or wrong.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyjackblack
reply to post by xstealth

Hey I was wondering, where exactly is that quote from Bush at? I'd love to see if it is on YouTube or something, it would prove to my parents that Bush is not the Christian he claims to be and maybe they would think twice when it comes to what he says is right or wrong.

No proof of such a quote exists. Very far left blogger Doug Thompson claims that a worker inside the White House told him that they heard from another worker inside the White House that one of the Republicans in a meeting with Bush heard him say, quote, "Stop throwing that goddamned piece of paper into my face." about the Constitution. It doesn't even qualify as hearsay because at Thompson's own admission it went through no fewer than 3 sources before it made its way to him and he is the only person who has ever "reported" it or mentioned it in any way (not counting those who have quoted him.) It reeks of bullcrap and wouldn't be admissible on the People's Court TV show, let alone any legitimate courtroom.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

I wouldn't be suprised if Bush did say it.
Bush has been shreading the Constitution along with all the other people Republican & Democrat.

-Jimmy

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I hate what they are doing but you also got to feel for the unfortunate people living in the Trinidad area. The gun violence is so bad the residents have been prisoners in their own homes for months. Usually I would put a lot of the blame the local government, but DC is different. Their budget is set by the federal government, they are dead broke, and are not equipped to single handedly address the roots of poverty. In many ways, the people responsible for the Katrina aftermath, delegate DC's budget. The local gov aren't geniuses either but in this case they really are trying to stop people from dying today! And trust me, there's no "big" agenda here. The DC police are constantly pushed around by about seven different federal law enforcement agencies, neither them or the DC gov have any love for anything federal, and would be the last to be clued into any big civil rights conspiracies.
In many ways, it's nice to be able to come to ATS and express our outrage on principle, but we don't have bullets coming through our windows.
Still, it just feels so wrong.

www.blackvoices.com...

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   

...I'd love to see if it is on YouTube or something, it would prove to my parents that Bush is not the Christian he claims to be and maybe they would think twice when it comes to what he says is right or wrong.

Then you can show them that he hired John Yoo, and did NOT fire him when Yoo said it would be ok to torture a child by crushing his testicles in front of a parent to get information from the parent.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Guys, this is not what is happening here.

"Four Prince George’s County teens charged with beating a man to death over a pack of cigarettes and a shoe"

This just happened a few hours ago.
It's a nightmare in those neighborhoods right now.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   
One last thing to explain the situation. The Trinidad neighborhood is up against Gallaudet University, which is a university for the deaf and hearing impaired, and for obvious reasons the faculty and students are especially vulnerable to gun violence.

[edit on 10-6-2008 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by sir_chancealot

...I'd love to see if it is on YouTube or something, it would prove to my parents that Bush is not the Christian he claims to be and maybe they would think twice when it comes to what he says is right or wrong.

Then you can show them that he hired John Yoo, and did NOT fire him when Yoo said it would be ok to torture a child by crushing his testicles in front of a parent to get information from the parent.

Can you give me a link to that vid?

-Jimmy

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Soon, we will be confined to within two blocks from where we live, and then home confinement.

All this gasoline chaos, BS, they want us CONFINED and unable to move far from home. It will be much easier to account for everyone when the other show FALLS.

Its a good thing we're in the know, when the shoe drops, we will be the ones who will make the rest aware of whats real.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Soon, we will be confined to within two blocks from where we live, and then home confinement.

All this gasoline chaos, BS, they want us CONFINED and unable to move far from home. It will be much easier to account for everyone when the other show FALLS.

Its a good thing we're in the know, when the shoe drops, we will be the ones who will make the rest aware of whats real.

dgtempe, did you read the earlier posts I made about what is really happening here?
Don't you think we should ease up a little on this one?

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Well road blocks and patrols are two different actions to take to make the neighborhood safer.

If you want to drive into the neighborhood, it should be your right to. The police are turning people back!

Also, they probably chose to do more roadblocks then patrols because it generates the police department more income.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by xstealth
Well road blocks and patrols are two different actions to take to make the neighborhood safer.

If you want to drive into the neighborhood, it should be your right to. The police are turning people back!

Also, they probably chose to do more roadblocks then patrols because it generates the police department more income.

I'm trying not to get upset. The reason only residents and their guests are allowed in is because gangs from other parts of the city were coming in and killing people all over the place. To the degree that the residents pleaded for this. Trust me, I live here, this is not a constitutional question, they're trying to save peoples' lives for god's sake. Jesus!

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I think i'm pretty liberal but i agree with Schrödinger's dog. I think hese guys are taking alot of heat trying o do there best..

I am very against police control/violence. But some neighborhoods around here (Detroit) have camera setup and they block the streets off to filter traffic to make drive-bys harder ect.. It seems to be a little better now. I wouldn't call it a fix .. But i don't mind them actually paying a bit of attention to a problem .. Heck isnt that what we all really want?

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I guess we no longer have the right to travel freely...

Are these roads privately funded by the homeowners in this area or paid for by taxpayers?

If it's the latter then these cops need to get the hell out of the way, public street are public streets.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyjackblack

"Forget our rights if it saves lives".

That thought just makes me sick beyond belief.

If that's what they believe, then that's their right to do so, but I have to say that if that's how they feel about their rights, then I can say to them without a second thought, more serious than I've ever been about anything before, "forget your life if it saves my rights." I'm sorry if anyone doesn't like that, but that's how I feel and that will never change.

How many have willingly given their lives to give us those rights? I'm sure they wouldn't do it if they didn't really believe that it would make a better life for those back home who they loved and cared about. Why would anyone want to just throw all of those lost lives and what they wanted to (and did) accomplish away now?

There are many quotes on this topic that come to my mind right now while typing this, but they're all pretty easy to find and I'm sure most have seen them before so I won't bother posting them.

The only thing I can think to say is take the time to really think about something before saying what you think. It's better that everyone think you're stupid when you're really smart than to have everyone think the opposite.

top topics

join