It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Planet Venus, Swamp Gas And Other Reasons For Sightings, A Question .

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Hey there.

Ok so i think that most of you are aware of certain "Explanations" that officials have and are known to give to members of the public in relation to specific publicly observed UFO phenomenon.

In saying Certain i am talking about those explanations that sit in the "Swamp Gas", "The Planet Venus" and the like category.

A person sees a UFO,
This person reports it
This person wants to know what it was
He is told that it was swamp gas or the planet venus or something like that.

How many people do you guys and gals think observe UFO activity but misidentify it as normal phenomenon or nothing out of the normal ?

Imagine looking up at the sky and seeing what you think is the planet Venus or a plane or something. When in reality what you are looking at is an actual alien craft or UFO.

What are your thoughts on this ?
I would be interested to know.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Are known to give.

Tell me, when was the last time you heard about swamp gas being used to explain a UFO sighting? As far as I can tell, the only person to ever use that, and perhaps only once, was J. Allen Hynek.

You are using a caricature of skepticism and mundane explanations for UFOs in order to defend your case. However, it doesn't work. Because we know that the mundane, such as a mistaken indentification of Venus, can and do explain some UFO sightings. Just as the mundane cannot explain every single sighting, just because one sighting is unexplained it does not mean every other sighting is unexplained, and therefore making any mundane explanation the target of ridicule.

Hynek himself said, "Ridicule is not part of the scientific method, and people should not be taught that it is." This not only applies to skeptics, but something believers should learn as well.

Instead of attempting to forge a caricature of skepticism, and ridicule mundane explanations, you should present evidence of why the mundane cannot explain other sightings.

[edit on 10-6-2008 by SaviorComplex]

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaviorComplex
Instead of attempting to forge a caricature of skepticism, and ridicule mundane explanations, you should present evidence of why the mundane cannot explain other sightings.

Thanks for your reply, I wish the first reply could have been by someone who actually understands or even read the opening post.
That being said i would appreciate it if you wouldn't make ignorant assumptions of what i am "attempting" if anything.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   
He read your ignorant post, and responded to it. Sorry he didn't give you the response you think your ingeniousness deserved. But he has a valid point, and it must suck for you that he posted it.

Simply put, there are no longer those type of answers from authorities concerning UFO reports. That being said, if someone sees a UFO and "assumes" it is "swamp gas" "planet Venus" or whatever you heard Tommy spout off in the "Men in Black" movies you are sadly behind the times, and appear to be looking for another accuse to believe in the absurd or the least plausible explanation of most given sightings.

Sorry you don't think that you are wrong, but if you were up to speed on modern times you would see that your prescribed "supposed" explanations from "officials" has become nothing more than satirical in nature, even if you don't understand it (which obviously you don't)

And if your going to bring up that one ignorant Mexico sighting during the eclipse, you will only put your own ignorance on display. Sorry, try again.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I often look up at the sky, see something flying and tell my friends that it's a UFO. They always say no it's not, it's a plane, it's got flashing lights, or stuff like that.
But my reasoning is that if I were an alien visiting a civilisation which has powered flight vehicles, I'd try to adapt the look of my own vehicle to look like theirs so that the casual observer on the ground would only see a plane or balloon when in fact I'm an alien from the planet zog or whatever

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by IgnoreTheFacts
He read your ignorant post, and responded to it. Sorry he didn't give you the response you think your ingeniousness deserved. But he has a valid point, and it must suck for you that he posted it.

My ignorant post?
What are you sorry for?
Do you even know what the post is about?
I dont know why your coming off so arrogant but if thats what you wanna do please move on.

Simply put, there are no longer those type of answers from authorities concerning UFO reports. That being said, if someone sees a UFO and "assumes" it is "swamp gas" "planet Venus" or whatever you heard Tommy spout off in the "Men in Black" movies you are sadly behind the times, and appear to be looking for another accuse to believe in the absurd or the least plausible explanation of most given sightings.

Maybe there not reported in present times but do you think that mistakes were made when those explanations were circulating?Oh and i didnt hear tommy lee say it? again i dont understand why your coming off so arrogantly ? Being behind the times is irrelevant my query still stands.

Sorry you don't think that you are wrong, but if you were up to speed on modern times you would see that your prescribed "supposed" explanations from "officials" has become nothing more than satirical in nature, even if you don't understand it (which obviously you don't)

Again past and present time has nothing to do with it . so your modern time talk is moot. as far as understanding goes, i asked a question ? i dont know if you know what that means or not but i think you should look it up.

And if your going to bring up that one ignorant Mexico sighting during the eclipse, you will only put your own ignorance on display. Sorry, try again.
Again i asked a question? Try what again? seriously if you want to troll and throw names around and not add anything of any use to your posts then find another place to do it.

I asked what peoples thoughts were on the subject. thats all .
If you cant work that out then just move on .

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by doogle
I often look up at the sky, see something flying and tell my friends that it's a UFO. They always say no it's not, it's a plane, it's got flashing lights, or stuff like that.
But my reasoning is that if I were an alien visiting a civilisation which has powered flight vehicles, I'd try to adapt the look of my own vehicle to look like theirs so that the casual observer on the ground would only see a plane or balloon when in fact I'm an alien from the planet zog or whatever

Thanks for your reply

Yeah i have thought about that too.
its an interesting thought for sure.
You would want to blend in if you were spotted .

[edit on 10/6/2008 by Omega85]

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Omega85
Thanks for your reply, I wish the first reply could have been by someone who actually understands or even read the opening post.
That being said i would appreciate it if you wouldn't make ignorant assumptions of what i am "attempting" if anything.

No, I understood it.

What are you forewarding is that there are no mundane explanations for UFOs; that "official" opinion has tainted the public-at-large to the point where if someone does see something extrordinary they rationalize it as the rather-ordinary.

top topics

join