It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why us?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 02:41 AM
link   
This is a topic discussion by the way, please don't post videos, photos etc. I just want opinions in this thread.

When you look around the world, people are very accepting of the idea that UFO's exist and are operated by intelligent lifeforms. Most are even accepting of the idea that they may not be from this planet.

So why is it when Americans hear the word UFO, the first reaction is usually a laugh? Why is it here in America people regard the topic of UFOs with a ludicrousness which would encompass something like the boogey-man? It seems illogical to assume that when millions have claimed to have witnessed UFOs, other countries acknowledge the possibility, NASA has footage of unexplainable UFOs similar to PREVIOUS descriptions of Extra Terrestrial UFOs, and the numbers of sightings increase every year that people in America still look at the entire subject as a complete joke. It seems to me even more naive of our citizens and universities to laugh at it than they usually are.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticPerhaps

Probably because there are much more human created stuff on aliens and ufo´s than actual fact on aliens and ufo´s.

So when you mention it to them they´ll think of movies, books, toys (etc) of aliens and ufo´s made by humans.. and then they are supposed to picture those alive and kickin.... of course that´ll seem kinda absurd, and one cant but laugh at the connection one just made.

Just what i´d think..

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 04:21 AM
link   
I laugh also but not from disbelief, but rather from a stand point of

" They don't know "

As far as Americans not believing This is one of the most common misconceptions made regarding the field of UFOlogy. The reality of the matter is quite the contrary. There have been thousands of reported sightings all throughout the world, not exclusively the U.S.

It just so happens that the American culture embraces the phenomenon more openly than in other countries.
Despite this lack of "hype," there are no less sightings in other countries than there are in the United States.

[edit on 10-6-2008 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I kind of just want to scream and shake those people who dismiss it. I was "blind" to it for many years until randomly, one day, I was like WOW there are things out there I cannot explain. It started with my interest in spirits and grew now to aliens and government cover-ups.

I just wish the word could be spread more to not take things as face value (ie the media).

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
This psuedoskeptisism isn't bound to America I'm afraid. I get laughed at almost daily for my beliefs. It's the instinctive reaction that's been installed in all of us. (well,most of us got over it) laugh at it,and you automaticly discredit it,and you don't have to think about the uncomfortable thought that we'r not special,or big,or clever.

I think that some people just aren't "ready" to receive this information. Some of us are,and see it as no biggy. Some people just won't get it,not don't.

new topics

top topics

join