It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ISP's confirm '2012: The Year The Internet Ends'

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   

ISP's confirm '2012: The Year The Internet Ends'

www.blacklistednews.com

ISP's all over the globe will reduce Internet access to a TV-like subscription model, only offering access to a small standard amount of commercial sites and require extra fees for every other site you visit.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.cnet.com
gigaom.com
www.commondreams.org
www.geeksaresexy.net

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Is this one of the last steps towards the open grave for free speech? This is a straight out plan to do away with the communication power of the internet all over the world.

Would you pay for a internet package, like cable tv packages, allowing you to pick which few websites you could visit? I get the impression that site such as ATS/BTS would not be amongst those sites offered. They might as well as flouridate to the internet to dumb all of us down even more.

It's just more control by the governments to reduce the chances of the public from sharing the TRUTH and organizing an uprising.
I don't know what chance an uprising would have anyway.

There is a link a the bottom of the story to join the "I Power" movement to stop this from happening. Will it do any good? Will I get visited by the men in dark suits if I sign up.

Without free speech what will we have taken away?
All I can say to sum this all up is NUTS!!!

www.blacklistednews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
By 2012, our TV's will be computers. So you most probably wont even have to have both a cable/satellite and internet.

Actually, by 2012, I'm pretty sure that televisions, computers, and telephones will all be linked together into 0ne device.

Also, wireless will be so advanced that underground hackers will make their own wireless internet network.

If wireless doesn't work, then im almost 100% certain that hackers can turn the power lines into a huge interconnected network too. This has already been proven to work by using a different frequency much like DSL uses a different frequency of your phone line.

"Hackers" believe that all information, and all things digital should be free. You will not stop them no matter what.
We will make our own ISP's.

I highly doubt anyone will let this happen anyway.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Sanity Lost

The internet is not a Thing .. It is a .. way. A way of communicating from one computer to another.. the sites you see are not a thing either.. they are not saved in one central location .. they simply exist, in servers all around the world.

If Internet (connection) companies "remake" the Internet into TV like programming, anyone can just take the way the old system worked and make it work again.

I do believe that only the select few retards would ever choose the tv type programming.

And to all those down South where time warner is making internet usage measurable..

It is your duty as a Human Being to SWITCH companies.

Send em a nice loud message.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ALLis0NE

"Hackers" believe that all information, and all things digital should be free. You will not stop them no matter what. We will make our own ISP's.

Perhaps the threat of the "hackers" messing up things, as they always have, will keep this from ever happening. What do you think the real reasoning behind this story is?

Thank you for your reply as well.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Starred and flagged. Every internet user should be aware of what's looming on the horizon. From what I have gathered so far this new server blows big time and I'm sure the ISP KNOW IT. As such, it is foreseeable that during the 'switch' they will try to eliminate the possibility for the customer to revert to the old, slow, primitive system.

Users beware!! The internet as I see it is the last bastion of free speech, if we lose this fight, the uphill battle is going to get A LOT steeper.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
This is just fear mongering, the idea is for tiered internet service, it has nothing to do with censoring free speech. The worst thing that will come of this is a new quota based system that will charge you if you go over your bandwidth quota...but as I'm sure many know the internet's bandwidth is increasing...thus quotas will also. This theory considers that if everything happens exactly as they say then it will happen...but it won't. The "free market" won't allow it, and the government won't allow it. That's two thumbs down.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

I do believe that only the select few retards would ever choose the tv type programming.

Your statement is true. The problem is that I believe there to be more than just a few "select retards" out there who would buy into this without thinking about it. Perhaps if enough of us that know better drop our internet service when this happens (if it does), the ISP's will realize their mistake.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sanity Lost
Perhaps the threat of the "hackers" messing up things, as they always have, will keep this from ever happening. What do you think the real reasoning behind this story is?

Thank you for your reply as well.

There are different types of hackers. Not all of them are "bad" and mess things up. Actually the majority of hackers work for Anti-Virus software companies, or they work for geek-squad and other "innocent" companies, so they can secretly plant key loggers and back doors, either by software or hardware, into your computer.

The real hackers though, they are the 0nes that do the impossible. Let me refer you to my favorite website of all time:
www.hackaday.com...

You tell the above website about information in your OP, and I guarantee you will have 100's come forward with ways to stop this ISP monopoly.

The only reason I could ever see this 2012 ISP crap happening, is because some greedy bastard wants to monopolize the internet. OR, they have big plans on upgrading their connection speeds and they need a new way to charge people.

Right now, I pay about 70$ a month for cable t.v. and a 4000mb download internet connection. If I wanted, I could totally max out this 4000mb download for a week straight and totally hog all bandwidth in my area. Sooner or later the ISP will see that I am a bandwidth hog, and they will "cap" my downloads without telling me, and my downloads will slow down drastically. This could possibly be fixed with a new type of payment system, so that you pay for what you use, and nothing more.

Some people leave home for weeks, or even months at a time, yet they still pay their internet bill when they don't even use the internet. With a new payment system (in my mind), you could pay only for what you use, and when you use it. Much like the minutes on a cell phone. Of course this is my vision of how it would/should work, and I have no clue how it is going to work in your 2012 scenario.

When they say "like a t.v. subscription" are they talking about like HBO, or "PayPerView"? I would prefer a payperview method myself, as long as I can pick the connection speed, and it costs around the same as it does now.

I don't know, just my opinion.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   
One line post!!

Vote with you finger tips - you feel your ISP is shafting you, another one will be more than happy to take your money

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
[color=aqua]vegno
Many people who I know of are aware of this plan already and don’t seem interested in what ever may happen. I take it that there are only a few of us who see a threat by this plan. Perhaps I won’t miss whatever cuts to the web take place. The internet may be the last hope for free speech, but how much is free these days anyway?
Cheers for the s/f.

[color=aqua]yellowcard
Thank you for your comments.
According to SaveTheInternet.com An internet with control by just a few such as AT&T, Verizon, Comcast and Time Warner will allow those companies to choose which websites run at top speed or operate
at the speed of a snail. They want to discriminate against other internet services to force
us to pay for there’s instead. I’m glad to read that several companies such as Microsoft and Yahoo don’t want the plan to go through.. Perhaps it’s all a shame, perhaps not.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ALLis0NE
By 2012, our TV's will be computers. So you most probably wont even have to have both a cable/satellite and internet.

Actually, by 2012, I'm pretty sure that televisions, computers, and telephones will all be linked together into 0ne device.

Also, wireless will be so advanced that underground hackers will make their own wireless internet network.

If wireless doesn't work, then im almost 100% certain that hackers can turn the power lines into a huge interconnected network too. This has already been proven to work by using a different frequency much like DSL uses a different frequency of your phone line.

"Hackers" believe that all information, and all things digital should be free. You will not stop them no matter what.
We will make our own ISP's.

I highly doubt anyone will let this happen anyway.

I point to this video, as the near term future of what to expect.

[edit on 9-6-2008 by West Coast]

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 12:28 AM
link   
[color=aqua]ALLis0NE

www.hackaday.com Does appear very interesting indeed. Guess I can
ask them to lock up the computers at work too. 

The only reason I could ever see this 2012 ISP crap happening, is because some greedy bastard wants to monopolize the internet. OR, they have big plans on upgrading their connection speeds and they need a new way to charge people.

You are right on target here. It’s my understanding that both are soon to take place.
When this happens I guess I can go back writing letters the old fashioned was and investing in an Xbox.

[color=aqua]West Coast

Thank you for the video. It's an interesting look at one possibility of the technology of the haves vs have nots in the coming years.

[edit on 11-6-2008 by Sanity Lost]

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 12:38 AM
link   
www.youtube.com...

That video above shows just how 'cool' the wireless / bar less prison is going to be marketed.

Its cool to be wearing your device day in day out, every where you go every thing you do.

That is one scary assed video. The future is a prsion planet with your every move recorded and tracked.

But... hey its so cool ! why would we worry ?

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dan Tanna
www.youtube.com...
Its cool to be wearing your device day in day out, every where you go every thing you do.

That is one scary assed video. The future is a prsion planet with your every move recorded and tracked.

This is not a future that I'm looking forward to.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 12:46 AM
link   
as for the net being turned into a taxed medium and controlled just like televison....

Ohhh they have no idea at just how damned sneaky some people can be - and how determined they are not to be caught in this web of media BS that the TV spins.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Where did this article go (the one from blacklistednews.com)? Nothing on the website and it's not in the google cache? The other "related" articles are there.

Edit:

I think this might just be some strange archiving system they have... Sorry.

Actually.. Is this the correct name of the original article? I think it has found its way into oblivion.

[edit on 6/11/2008 by apolluwn]

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 03:27 AM
link   
This deffinately wont happen. Who in thier right mind is going to go from having everything the net has to offer, to having a few select sites they can visit. it's bad for business. they'd drive consumers away and wouldn't get their money. and its all about the benjamins baby...

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Realize this: TPTB have just recently realized what a mess they created when they allowed the internet to flourish.

They thought it would be "bread and circuses" to the geeks. What they didn't realize was that the geeks found a way to make money giving it to the masses. Now they are faced with a medium over which they have very little control. (By this, I mean the content, not the physical/logical connections)

When your internet goes down, and I mean down for a couple days or a week at a time, and everyone you know has their internet go down too, know that martial law is not far behind. (BTW, this means other than a natural disaster/industrial accident that wipes out electricity for a large area.)

The internet is the last bastion of true information. Granted, a LOT of information on the net is false, misinformation, outright lying, or mere supposition, but it is STILL better at showing the truth than the MSM.

They MUST eliminate (or severely restrict) this means of communication. I believe they have already tested this. About 1 1/2 months ago, my internet went down partially for 24 hours. By partially, I mean that just about any website west of Denver would not display, nor could you tracert or ping them. My ISP blamed it on DNS issues. I asked how DNS could cause me not to be able to ping certain websites when I didn't use THEIR DNS SERVERS. They couldn't respond to that.

Now, it could have been messed up routing protocols I suppose. But every time I did a trace, it landed in Patterson NJ, and would go no further. If you understand how the internet works, and have done ANY router work at all, you will know why this incident was so weird.

Another thing totally off topic. I believe some of my cell phone calls are being monitored. Why do I say this? Well, I started hearing weird echoes in my cell phone, my own voice repeated back to me with about a 1/2 second delay. Normally, I would chalk this up to being hypersensitive (and paranoid!
) except for one VERY weird anomaly. When I would call my mom, and she would answer, I would say something like "Hi Mom, it's me. How are you doing?" As soon as I finished the "Hi Mom, it's me" part, the echo would disappear and not return. THIS HAPPENED ON EVERY SINGLE PHONE CALL I MADE TO HER. Make another phone call after that, and the echo would be back. Call my mom again, and the echo would disappear. This went on for probably 6 or 8 months. Know when it quit? When I started telling people this story over the phone, especially the like-minded conspiracy theorist friends. Coincidence? Maybe.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE
This deffinately wont happen. Who in thier right mind is going to go from having everything the net has to offer, to having a few select sites they can visit. it's bad for business. they'd drive consumers away and wouldn't get their money. and its all about the benjamins baby...

Its all about control. Think about it.

if your in OZ and they fire upon protesters you can youtube it quicker than CNN can get it up - THATS IF CNN WANT TO EVEN RUN IT!

This is all about control over the little people - keeping us in our catatonic aspartame induced semi comas.

Its not about money, they make enough from war and oil not to give a damn, this is control.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join