It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weird tracert

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Netstat has nothing to do with this, that's (netstat) only connections on your computer.

Tracert is all the hops it takes to get to a server, as you know.

I don't get what's so weird, that's normal. I get 13 hops.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   
are you running ie explorer?that kernel32.dll could be the floodnet virus if not its sketchy.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Then again i could be wrong.Just mine never comes up in netstat.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Xfire is an IM program used in games. I like it.

Netstat has no bearing on your tracert, it has no relationship whatsoever.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
It takes me 11 hops to get to google and 14 to the www host. The first half or more of yours are just hops in routers on the internet getting to google.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
K, first, turn off the p2p program, second, those are not servers you are going to, those are hops, i.e. routers. 3rd, google as well as yahoo, and any other major search engine have a cluster farm of servers spread out around the world, and depending on routing, TTL(time to live) of packets, and QOS of the backbone, determines where you actually go for that traceroute. I don't see anything wrong with your traceroute. it is fine and perfectly normal.

I suggest turning off the p2p, then going to start, run, type msconfig, go to the startup tab, click disable all, o.k. and restart. you should get most of everything you need turned of to improve computer performance, next, r-click the my computer icon, go to properties, then advanced, on there go to settings, set for performance, apply, o.k. out. next go into my computer icon, r-click each of your hard drives go to properties and uncheck indexing. next r-click on my computer again, properties system restore, turn it off. next r-click the recycle bin, properties, set it to 0. do a disk clean up, followed by a defrag, then do a anti-virus scan, and a anti-spyware scan, I suggest AVG for anti-virus, there is a free version available that is really good, and spybot search and destroy for anyi-spyware. Do all this on both computer, or however many you have, and you should correct any problems you had.

a couple side notes, after you finish all this, change the recycle bin back to 10%, and keep doing the defrags till its all blue and green. other side note, if you are going to use p2p apps, do it correctly, idiots leave the crap on there computer to get caught. after you finish downloading something, move it to a new folder. that way your shared folder is empty. if you are using torrents, remove the torrent as well. yes, I realise this is a prick thing to do, but lets face it, if you get caught, ain't noone else gonna pay your legal fees and you ain't smart enough to talk your way out of it, computer wise.

I suggest you take my free advice. I normally charge 200 an hour for it, but I'm drunk right now, and don't really care.

Cheers,

Camain

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by camain

Why do you keep talking about p2p programs?

*Edit:

Also, do not reply to my threads as if you are talking to an idiot. It was a simple question about why my tracert had doubled hops, coinciding with some intermittent connection issues.

[edit on 24-5-2008 by Sublime620]

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Disabling your entire startup list from msconfig is idiotic, don't do that. If you like your computer working, that is.

He's right about disabling indexing.

Don't set your recycle bin to zero if you're smart enough to empty it yourself (you are).

I'm surprised this guy charges $200 an hour.
I guess computer guys do grossly overcharge, but oh well.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Johnmike

No doubt. He talks like MsConfig is pro or something. I'll take the indexing advice, but I really just had a question about why my hops doubled. Didn't need his $200/hour tips.

I know how to take care of my computer for the most part.

And why would I set my recycling bin to do that? If I don't want it, Shift + Delete does the trick. Or even better, right click, empty does it also.

[edit on 24-5-2008 by Sublime620]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Hey guys, I stumbled upon this thread and it had me wondering some things.

First of all, I should warn you that I am a complete moron when it comes to computers. My abilities are limited to typing fast and using the internet! So when it comes to explaining computer things to me, I need things really dumbed down.

So here's my question(s). I've been worried/wondering about neighbors possibly accessing my wireless connection. I was hoping there was a simple way for me to find out if anyone is using my connection (and possibly who), as well as a simple way to keep people from doing so.

My main PC, which my cable modem is directly connected to, is an old piece of junk that I actually refuse to use. It's an E-Machine that is a few years old and only my parents use it. Anyway, our cable modem is hooked up to one of those Netgear wireless gimmicks. So I use my HP notebook to wireless-ly access the net. I also use my Playstation3 for wireless internet, and my girlfriend sometimes brings her Mac over and uses the net as well. If I am able to add some layer of security, the last thing I want to do is make it difficult for myself and my family to get online by having to jump through hoops every time we want to log on!

So... if anyone can help me with an easy way to see who may or may not be using my wireless connection, and possibly an easy way to secure it, it would be greatly appreciated. If you want to post the answer here than that is fine, but you can also U2U me if you'd rather not clog this thread further with posts related to my stupid questions!

Thanks to anyone who can help!

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Search for airsnare....its used for wireless access points to show whos on your connection if any.

www.lycoming.edu...

simple easy steps to secure your router.

[edit on 25-5-2008 by alienstar]

How can I secure my router through WPA or WPA2?

1.easy
2. Open Internet Explorer
3. Type into the address bar www.192.168.0.1 or www.192.168.1.1 (depending on the product) and hit ENTER.

Unless you've configured otherwise, the default username is admin and the password password.

1. On the left-hand side, under Setup, click "Wireless Settings"
2. Under "Security Options", select your desired encryption method (preferably WPA2-PSK)
3. Choose a Network Key - it can be anything, as long as it's 8-63 characters in length
4. Hit Apply
5. Now on the computers you wish to connect to over wireless, repeat the process

[edit on 25-5-2008 by alienstar]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Question..
After viewing cmd/netstat image posted by OP, I ran netstat -a -n -b, and since I am no PC guru, I ask anyone who knows,

if In the Active Connections column, there are 10, double spaced addresses, the first 8 of which start with: 0.0.0.0: (tfollowing the colon the last digits are 2 (the first 5), then 3 (the next 3) numbers, and all the numbers are odd numbers and all Prime numbers as well.

In the corresponding Foreign Address column, all 10 share the following address:

0.0.0.0:0

And in the State column, the 10 connections are "LISTENING"

After that, it starts looking similar to OP's image and from the 11th listing on down, the State column shows "ESTABLISHED". later, some TCPs show [::]:the the odd/prime numbers. and -- Unknown Component(s) -- has 1 TCP Listening, then UDP's follow with *.* in Foreign Address, and nothing in the State column. Since I do not see these in posted screen image, I ask,

Is this normal?

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Rasputin13

What kind of router do you have? Linksys? Either way, follow these steps to access your router:

Go to start/run

Type "cmd" without the quotes. A black box will pop up.

In the box, type "ipconfig"

You will see a line called Default Gateway.

Get that number, and paste in your browser. Should be 192.168.1.1... (or something alone those lines)

Username
assword will probably be admin:admin

Now, if you have a linksys

Who's on my wireless

3. click on the "wireless" tab, then "wireless MAC Filter" subtab
4. click on "enable" (default is "disabled")
5. click on "Wireless Client List"
You get a small pop up with a list of all that is on your network by client name, IP address and MAC address (address of the network adapter).

Should help you narrow it down. I suggest you encrypt your signal though. I doubt any of your neighbors can hack that kind of security.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by alienstar

Hello there my good man.

Was wondering if you could help me here rather than me create my own thread ?

Basically my internet speed has slowed down i used a speed test web page and i was only running at 2mb download.

I know my connection was faster than that infact it was

DownStream Connection Speed 7616 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 448 kbps

When i go to my router page it states i still have the above connection howerver i dont as my download speed is 2mb and my speed test result is 2mb.

Do you have any idea why this is ?

My service provider is AOL.

Sorry for the thread hijack but there seem's to be some I.T gurus here.

I even reformatted my pc and there was no change.

I am running a high spec P.C.

Take care.

Regards
Lee

[edit on 25-5-2008 by h3akalee]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by h3akalee

I'm assuming that means you have RR (since you have AOL)?

I doubt it is your issue, by the way. Is it always slow? Try doing a speed test at night... after 10pm or early in the morning.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Sublime620

It's alway's slow.

It was running fine then the hare turned into the tortoise.

No matter what day or what time of day i still only get around 2mb.

Even tho it still show's my speed as being above 7mbps on my router page.

Take care.

Regards
Lee

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by camain

ahahaha.

Sir i implore you to imagine me holding my hand under my chin with my finger's dangling down.

Then praytell i wish you to imagine me moving those dangling finger's under my chin and and me saying these word's.

OOOOOOOOHH I CHARGE 200 DOLLER'S AN HOUR.

I hope you realise nobody care's exactly how much you make an hour no matter how drunk you are.

Good day sir.

Regards
Lee

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sublime620
I doubt any of your neighbors can hack that kind of security.

Your kidding right. WEP (I believe you referred to earlier my bad if you didn't) is useless. The same goes for MAC filtering and not displaying your SSID. Yes these items can offer some form of security but its extremely open to vulnerabilities. MAC's can be spoofed in seconds as well and SSID ghosting can also be picked up.

As someone else suggested use WPA2 and use a non dictionary word(Radius offers even more protection). You may not think people will bother because you have WEP but its child play. Also to those who may not care if someone piggybacks onto your wireless connection, you 'may' be held somewhat accountable if nefarious activities are carried out. Also once a perpetrator has piggybacked your wireless your own private network can be easily compromised which could divulge personal information (should you care).

One tip I recommend to people is to adjust the transmit/receive power values so that your not pumping wireless further than you need to. Lower the rates (both in your wireless card setup and your access-point) to values that obviously still function but don't advertise your setup.

Also periodically review or dump off your AP logs for review.
brill

[edit on 25-5-2008 by brill]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by brill

Did I say it couldn't be hacked? Negative. I just said most of his neighbors probably couldn't.

Most of the time, people are just looking for unsecure networks. Why bother hacking one when there's another one that is wide open?

*Edit:

How Secure is WEP Anyway?

I'll summarize these as saying "WEP key discovery has gotten very sophisticated". Both articles explains the tools and some of the clever ideas they're based on. In particular, the chopchop program uses packet replay to attack a single packet one bit at a time and decode it, exploiting the lack of replay protection in WEP.

How many people have a neighbor working with those kinds of tools?

[edit on 25-5-2008 by Sublime620]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sublime620
reply to post by brill

Did I say it couldn't be hacked? Negative. I just said most of his neighbors probably couldn't.

Most of the time, people are just looking for unsecure networks. Why bother hacking one when there's another one that is wide open?

You stated you doubted any of his neighbors could hack that kind of security. I'm just quoting what you said that's all. Your extremely naive making blanket statements like that unless you actually know who you are dealing with. I think it's irresponsible to offer advice when you obviously don't fully comprehend the subject matter.

Have a nice day.

brill

[edit on 25-5-2008 by brill]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join