It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The role of a parent today.. Choices.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Many of us here have small children. Little ones, that will take over where we leave off someday.

Many of us are concerned about the current conditions and directions that society is heading in. Most people put their children into the public school system.

Just knowing what is being pushed in the way of laws, freedoms being taken away, unlimited surveillance on our lives and on every thing we do... I wonder what THEY have in store for them ahead?

Well, what I want to know is what YOU, as a parent.. Or hypothetical parent(if you have no kids), would teach your children about the system that they were born into, or where it's heading?

To clarify, many on ATS consider the people here to be more alert to the REAL happenings on the world. As opposed to most who get all of their "100% auccurate news" from around the world, on FOX.. And believe blindly in what Bush says. They follow the big stories of the world, like Britney Spears's haircut or weight loss. Angelina Jolie's pregnancy with twins... And believing the FAKE military analysts that tell us there is improvement in Iraq.

It is true, most have no idea what kinds of new spying bills are passed. How many of our freedoms are being taken away. How many times states wanted to push for impeachment, etc etc.

What I am really wondering, is what YOU would want to teach your children, in the way of how they look at the world. Would you prefer they grow to be oblivious like the rest of the population, believing the official 9-11 story? Or perhaps, would you teach them survival skills, and to look further than what government tells us is truth?
Would you want them to be like us, here at ATS, where many fear that we could be on government 'lists' ? Where we have fear or distrust of government, instead of blind trust?

Thought this would be an interesting topic.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 05:50 AM
link   
This is an awesome post. It will be flagged. Kids are always growing up in an ever changing society and I believe to me it is important that once they are a teenager that you are capable of seeing them eye to eye as an adult and that they are given responsibility and also control of their own life.

I believe it is important to talk to your kids about current events now than ever. Its important that they develop their own views with your guidance and not the medias.

[edit on 22-5-2008 by nahsik]

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 06:22 AM
link   
I don't think parents need to "discuss" these issues with their children as much as just expose their children to regular conversation, news programs, etc... BTW I am a hypothetical parent.

I grew up in the 70's and it was a different world in so many respects. For instance, instead of having 24/7 kids channels and DVD's and video games, children at that time actually had to be bored by watching the national news when it was on TV because our PARENTS wanted to watch it (today that could be considered child abuse..haha). These days so many kids are completely isolated from all of that because they have their own televisions, computers, and their parents actually go out of their way to NOT expose their children to any adult topics that may "scare them" or be unsettling in some way.

I would say in some regards it is probably the first time in history that children have been so absorbed in their own "child" worlds with regards to information, television, etc... I do not think it is healthy and I think it can turn out a generation of halfwits that have no idea, or interest, with what is going on in the world today. I will say my own nieces (all 25 to 32 now) grew up like that and it still affects them.

Just make your kids part of your "regular life" in regard to having them watch tv with you, having them around when you discuss things with your spouse, etc... If they are exposed to it naturally they will get the message, and they may be less likely to "rebel" against it.

[edit on 22-5-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Thank you very much for the replies and opinion on this matter.

I do worry about the future, and what we are leaving to the future generations to deal with. I really am concerned about whether the future generations of this country will be even more oblivious to what is going on around them, than the people seem to be today!!

Sonya, thanks so much for the input about how children in the 70's watched the news with their parents and didn't have TV's and computers to get lost in.
I think that a computer though, will be important for children to learn, and the sooner the better. Unless the government puts a stop to "alternative news" sources that cover the bills being passed, and things that don't come on the MSM.

Well, I'd really like some more input on this one, if possible

join