It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Simple Artificial Cell Created From Scratch To Study Cell Complexity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Simple Artificial Cell Created From Scratch To Study Cell Complexity

www.sciencedaily.com

ScienceDaily (May 16, 2008) — A team of Penn State researchers has developed a simple artificial cell with which to investigate the organization and function of two of the most basic cell components: the cell membrane and the cytoplasm--the gelatinous fluid that surrounds the structures in living cells. The work could lead to the creation of new drugs that take advantage of properties of cell organization to prevent the development of diseases. The team's findings will be published later this month in the Journal of the American Chemical Society.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   

With a cell membrane that was now too large and also unconstrained by its spherical shape, the cell converted to a budded form. A dextran-rich mixture filled the bud while a PEG-rich mixture remained inside the body of the cell. This new structure exhibited the type of complexity that the team had been looking for; it exhibited polarity. "Polarity is critical to development," said Keating. "It is an important first step in the development of a complex multi-cellular organism, like a human being, in which different cells perform different functions."

This is really an incredible achievement. The article speaks for itself, and I think the reporter and the researchers really underestimated the potential in this new development. At least it appears in the article that the potential applications that can be achieved with such a technology.

They created a cell, and it budded...artificially.

www.sciencedaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Wow that is a HUGE story, thanks for posting it

I've always loved microbiology and I think that's amazing they created an artificial cell...I wonder if they can patent something like that?

I wonder how far off it is that they can recreate a complete artificial cell that actually contains organelle or if that will even be possible?

Although Keating and her colleagues plan to continue adding components to their model cell, they don't expect to make a real cell.

Same source as the OP...

Well if they aren't trying you know others are and have been!

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Maby we will see a possibility of Jurassic Park sooner then thought.
Well, it could happen you know.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by LateApexer313

I just thought the artificial budding was amazing in and of itself. So few replies, I don't think people really know how incredibly important this is.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
A great story indeed...I wonder how long until they can stave off emotion so as to manipulate reactions to "fill in the blank"

The day is coming...

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock
A great story indeed...I wonder how long until they can stave off emotion so as to manipulate reactions to "fill in the blank"

The day is coming...

Well since emotional reactions pretty much write the code for cell behavior(through proteins and amino acids) it might be an interesting thing to see if these compounds can affect the behavior of an artificial cell.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
Well since emotional reactions pretty much write the code for cell behavior(through proteins and amino acids) it might be an interesting thing to see if these compounds can affect the behavior of an artificial cell.

Indeed. And then sold as a cure all prescription drug for the physiological appeasement of the rest of the world...for the advantage of those who 'in the know'....

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Flagged & starred!!

"The cell converted to a budded form..." Whoa.....I'm no biologist, but this sounds like a pretty big deal to me. Would the next step from "budding" be for the cell to actually divide? I wonder....

No matter what, I love to learn about anything that takes us one step closer to truly unlocking the mystery of how life begins (not just on earth...).

Thank you for posting this article!

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Well I was thinking more of an effective way to deal with cancer at the cellular level or AIDS..Yes this is open to abuse, like any new technology, but that's where legislation and enforcement come in..(And before you say it I know that accountability isn't America's strong suit.)

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Well creating a cell opens the field of research up to the point where it is ethically ambiguous. This is actually a good thing since you're working with artificial cells, you won't have anyone jumping down your throat with a Bible. This could have some implications for stem cell research, and we may eventually be able to create an artificial stem cell...Wouldn't that be something.

top topics

join