It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do we really want to play the racist card?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I know you and a lot of other people don't want race to be an issue with this election, but I'm sorry to say there is no way around that.

Doesn't some part of you feel that you are feeding this frenzy with topics such as this. It seems to me this thread has already derailed into bickering over which party is more racist and even which race is more racist. Don't get me wrong, I feel any and every topic is free to be discussed, but this is an issue there is no quick fix to. People will not simply stop talking about race as an issue.

Whether you think white voters are racist or Obama and his African American voters are racist, it doesn't matter. Sure there are plenty of people who may not vote for Obama because of his race; but do you not think there are that many or more who will vote for Obama because of his race. I guarantee you there is a fair share of white voters who have and will vote for Obama simply because they don't want to appear racist.

Is that any better?

Sure we would be doing ourselves a favor focusing on issues rather than race, but this is America, we can focus on whatever we want.

And just a side note here, as far as I'm concerned Obama would be doing a lot worse than he is if people were focusing on his positions.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

You're correct, nyk537. There probably is no way around it.

The reason I make these threads is that I see so much uneducated discussion going on elsewhere on the forums. Every time I see one of a thread based off of ad hominems more than policy or facts, I try to find a flip side to the story.

I don't do it to try to sway voters, though. I never say, "Don't vote for McCain because of...". It's always just to show that mudslinging works both ways and it really just depends on who has the giant bulls eye on their back.

Does that make sense?

-sub1ime

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537
I guarantee you there is a fair share of white voters who have and will vote for Obama simply because they don't want to appear racist.

I see this line of reasoning in a lot of threads. We vote by secret ballot in this country. I guarantee you nobody who doesn't want to vote for a black man will have anybody twisting his or her arm in the voting booth.

That said, I agree with nyk537 that race is and will be an issue in this election. Like it or not, we have not transcended race in this country. If we are reasonable people it is an opportunity for a mature discussion on the subject.

I would, though, like to see more threads discussing Obama's position on the issues. It is on those grounds that he will win.

[edit on 16-5-2008 by Sestias]

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sublime620
reply to post by nyk537

You're correct, nyk537. There probably is no way around it.

The reason I make these threads is that I see so much uneducated discussion going on elsewhere on the forums. Every time I see one of a thread based off of ad hominems more than policy or facts, I try to find a flip side to the story.

I don't do it to try to sway voters, though. I never say, "Don't vote for McCain because of...". It's always just to show that mudslinging works both ways and it really just depends on who has the giant bulls eye on their back.

Does that make sense?

-sub1ime

Well guys - I thought that was a fair answer to an honest question. both starred

I also think that the electoral system stinks - and in the UK as well.

In a perfect world, the electoral process would be a comonality rather than diversity.

Ufortunately, I still don't understand superdelegates and why they were given so much power.

[edit on 16/5/2008 by budski]

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 02:01 AM
link   
What it's going to come down to is this:

Are people in this country so motivated by issues of race that they would rather have George W. Bush 2.0? The vast majority of voters are not wealthy. That means they will be screwed over if McCain becomes president. Maybe some of them have delusions of wealth, who knows. If they want to shoot themselves in the foot just to be spiteful, fine. I've got enough money to insulate myself from any such foolish decisions.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

Neither do I. I don't think many do...

Pfft, super delegates.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 03:12 AM
link   
funny how in the states there's always that separation between whites and blacks that you wont find lets say in canada.... you watch Oprah, and shes always talking about us (the blacks) and you or they)the whites......

the less time you focus on stupid racism and bull like that the more you can focus on the tasks at hand....

wether you like Obama or not. forget the color of his skin just write down his plans for office Vs the current plans and mcCain's ... just use pure logic. i mean this country has to take a total 180 change on alot of policies.

i respect republicans, but how can you argue that there should be another republican in the WH when the states are in such a mess because of them and they dont wanna change anything or at least apologize.??

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 03:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Sublime620

Ok here's your politics. I live in Chicago, therefore Mr. Obama happens to be my senator. However he does not represent me as his job requires. Go ahead take a look at his voting record. See how many times he voted present, par yea, or par neh. That's not representation it's a big fat COP OUT !!!

There is no excuse for that, and as a voter it is completely unacceptable to me. If he can't do a decent job representing us as a senator, what kind of a job is he going to do as a president !? I'm also not comfortable with the way he just popped up out of the blue. He's got somebody behind him. I also don't like where he got some of his campaign contributions from when he was running for senator.

There ya go, i have no racial issues with the man at all, just good old fashioned political ones.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by chise61

Now that's a respectable opinion. One of the first I've heard on this board, and it's actually got real politics to back it up.

*Tip of that to you*

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Sublime620

Well Thank You !

First i must correct my previous error. It's pair yea & pair nay, sorry bout that.

I do understand what you are trying to do with this thread, and i commend you for it. People should cast thier votes according to a politicians politics, and not thier race, religion, or sex.

I am not trying to sway you in one way or the other. Just suggest that before elections if you haven't already you may want to check out his voting record. And don't just check out one source, check as many as you can, i think you'll find they all say the same thing. It's real easy for politicians to tell us what we want to hear, but when it comes time to back it up, actually vote on it, that's when we see thier true colors.

Mr. Obama has a very poor voting record. There was a major vote that came to the floor concerning charging minors as adults, now he's supposed to be hard on crime, so why then did he choose not to vote at all? He has missed votes over 200 times,and voted no vote, pair yea, pair nay, or present way to many times. Imo it's just totally unacceptable. We pay him, and damn good money might i ad, to represent us and i for one don't consider his voting record as having represented us. When it comes down to what he really believes in and what ideals he's really ready to back up, he shows us the answer with his votes, or should i say lack of.

See if you can still pull up his campaign contributions from his senatorial campaign, see if you see any that don't look right. Check his campaign contributions now, i'm sure you know what kind of things to look for.

This man popped up out of no place, and became a senator out of the blue. One day he wasn't there, no one knew who he was, next day he's a senator ! Something's fishy, he's got somebody big behind him. Just who's beliefs is he voting anyway ? How can he have done such a poor job as a senator & still recieved backing to run for president ? How many other politicians have held less than one term as a senator and then gone straight into a presidential race ? Does that really sound right to you ? I really want to know who's behind him and i'm sorry it aint Oprah ! I don't know what i smell, NWO, Corporate America, Another country? But i smell somethin behind Mr. Obama and i for one don't like it !!!

Another thing i don't like is the fact that he continuosly refused to take the political courage test. Although we really don't need him to, his voting record says enough.

Good idea for a thread, i hope that you can actually get some people to post on here with some actual intelligent political beliefs & facts, instead of nonsense. I'll come back and see how it's goin. Good Luck !

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I think that is a load of rubbish, Obama isnt in the elections just because he isblack . I think it is horrible if anyone says that about anything

top topics

<< 1   >>

join