It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hermaphrodites caused by pollution

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 06:24 AM
link   
We have all seen the documentaries and read the articles about how pollution is effecting our world. Even the 7 legged sheep in NZ

A while ago I came across some even more disturbing information. Pollution is now creating hermaphrodites in humans and in animals.

There are a number of reports of various breeds of fish and more recently frogs and the one that got my attention is Polar bears in Greenland

A team of scientists has rather alarmingly discovered that the "surprisingly high rate" of hermaphroditism in polar bears can be directly linked to pollution, the Independent reports. The researchers - who examined 139 bears across the Arctic region - noted that around one in 50 female bears on Norway's Svalbard islands has both male and female sex organs.

This may be old news for some but it is something I feel should be brought to peoples attention. I am not a tree hugging vegan remove my carbon footprint kind of guy but we have to see what is going on around us and what the big business and government are sweeping under the carpet for the sake of chasing the dollar.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 07:47 AM
link   
One thing I neglected to mention is that we may say this is only effecting animals but I know of a few human hermaphrodytes (or atleast hermaphrodyte like features) and the numbers are growing. The pollution factor is said to be the one that is most likely to be the culprit.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
hi there,

thanks for posting this thread,

there have been studies here in the UK and Sweden into this very thing,

since the 1970`s there has been a large increase in various forms of sexual differentions, including the most common form : hyperspadias (sp).
en.wikipedia.org...
www.ehponline.org...

snoopyuk

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Thanks for the links Snoopy.
I really think it is something that has been overlooked by many until recent times and more people should be aware of it. I am glad there are some authorities that are finally looking further into this.
There must be more damaging side effects than this that we have not yet seen or been made public at least.
I think carbon emissions are the least of out problems.

Edit for personal observation: I find it odd that there has been well over 100 views, 3 stars, 1 flag and even an applause (all of which I appreciate BTW) but I find it strange there has been only 1 reply (Thanks Snoopy!
).

[edit on 8/5/2008 by VIKINGANT]

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
i agree , lots of views but no comments.......maybe it scares them to much !!

well i for one am glad you posted it, thanks

snoopyuk

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Thanks snoopy. Yes. They do seem curious but scared. I wonder if it is the subject or because it is not a generaly accepted or discussed topic here?
I am surprised the sheep pic didnt get any reaction.

At least it is getting read and the point is getting out there I suppose.

[edit on 9/5/2008 by VIKINGANT]

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   
A very interesting point that has been brought to my attention on this subject and that is, this is not only a disturbing fact for the polar bears and alike, but is also an indication of where we are headed. As we know the population levels of frogs are a good indication of our climate and in the days of old when canaries were used to judge the toxicity of the air in mines, we should also be watching not only the decline in numbers but also the drastic changes in the wildlife for the toxicity of our air and water supplies. If the Polar bears are affected this much without nearly the amount of industry around them, just imagine what is happening to us as a species.

top topics

join