It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Issues Thread

page: 74
<< 71  72  73    75  76  77 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Forum subject matter experts can also applaud - each SME has a forum where their magic works, and you can see which is which by clicking on the Subject Matter Expert Icon (or "badge") which is displayed under an avatar.
Click on mine and it will take you to the Regional Politics Forum

Original, insightful and well thought out threads/posts will be rewarded

[edit on 19/1/2009 by budski]

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 04:04 AM
link   
I have one or two issues to vent in this vacuum.

There seems to be a strong theme thoughout ATS of requiring proof for any claims in posts. This seems nonsensical to me by virtue of whole focus on ATS. This site is all about fringe ideas and speculative science. I estimate 90% of the concepts are posted are not viewed as true by the scientific community.
So short of writing a scientific paper (submitable to journals) how does someone provide proof? Being short of that who decides how much evidence is acceptable to warrent a post?
Does ATS and its members what to ban individual speculation/theorising OR is it you want people to state when an idea/opinion is thiir own?

For a site that is for discussion of conspiracy, supernatural and extraterrestrials there seems to be alot of "debunkers". I know nothing can or should be done about this but I gotta ask what the heck are these people doing here?!! I don't hang out a mormon web sites as its not my belief and I definatly wouldn't hang here if I had conservative beliefs these subjects.
Its likely the "debunkers" on a subject field are members that believe in some other fields on this site and just brose through other groups while here. That does raise the queatiion of why they would ridicule and disrespect other beliefs when they would have been on the recieving end too.

Well ahh there ya go ive vented and I'm feelin better..
Thanks ATS

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by shortywarn

you've got to be kidding,,,so you remove it,,, and i get no answer?????

is that the resolution,,,erasing my post,,,,,so where do i air any grievances???????

i was really wanting an explanation,,,and i really thought myh point was valid and now through erasing it no one else can see my grievance either

they may have agreed,,,or told me to shut up and get over it
either way

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   
shortywarn, Hey there Please feel free to use complaints if you have an issue with any action,

Thanks,

Asala

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I guess I just have a question.

Can I get a list of words I'm allowed to insult other people with? I've been called a Traitor and Deadbeat, these appear to be acceptable but simple terms like jerk or loser are frowned upon?

I was under the impression (by the T&C) that personal insults weren't allowed, but indeed they are as I've reported more than one instance and just recently had a MOD come in and ask everyone to stay on topic leaving all the insults.

Just want some clarification as to the acceptable terms so I'm better prepared. [/sarcasm]

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by treemanx
Thanks again for the info! I thought though, that I've contributed some pretty insightful posts, and Ive never gotten an applause before. How does that work???

It's also helpful if you post in forums and/or threads that have a lot of mod involvement – like it or not, they're not gonna applaud a post that they never see. And if a thread stays civil and on-topic, there might be no complaints about it to bring it to the attention of the mods, and if it's in a low-mod-participation forum it might only be seen by one or two mods.

But I'd recommend not worrying too much about the points thing. If you get addicted to ATS you'll probably rack them up anyways, and if you don't there's really no need for them

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Hi

I am having a problem with Google Chrome and ATS. My problem is that while reading the forums Google chrome is updating its history list every time an ad or other is reloading. This means that my back button will have multiple Page x (page number such as page 10). So if I want to go back to a previous page I will have to click x amount of times before I actually get to the previous page.
This is annoying and I was wondering if this could be fixed. This doesn't happen on other sites and forums that I read with Google chrome. Instead I end up going back to the current page but to where I was reading at the time of the update. This has no purpose unless of course someone wants to know what I'm reading.
Please fix this as its incredibly annoying. This doesn't happen in IE and Firefox.

Stan

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by stanislas

I'm using Chrome right now and that doesn't happen to me. Do you have any additional plugins/ other with it you are using?

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by ATruGod

I get the sarcasm thing. And as I'm sure you know, it's never appropriate to insult another member. I'm going to assume your issue is with this thread. It's apparent things got a bit out of hand in there, as it frequently will in an emotionally charged topic where there are strong opinions on both sides.

In this case, there was plenty of invective coming from both sides of this topic. You were certainly not completely innocent of slinging some heat. When you respond in kind (rather than alerting or ignoring - or both), it serves only to take a thread further afield. By the time a moderator became aware of the situation, there were three options - go back and micro edit each offending post to remove the violations and leave the salient points (laborious and inexact at best), delete out the offending posts completely (rendering the thread an incoherent mess), or post an in-thread notice to cool down and proceed on topic and in a T&C compliant fashion.

These are from you in the thread and are examples of inappropriate responding in-kind:

First off you have no idea how retarded you look refering to me as a LEO or agent thereof.

Ok so I guess I'll stoop to your level. If your going to use a word like Seizure shouldnt you be able to at least start with the correct letter...see how dumb that was? Yeah you looked that dumb too.

Can you enlighten us with what it would take in your feeble mind to end the violence?

The decision was made to use the third option. It's not an exact science, and we're not perfect. We try to err on the side of not taking a punitive action, but that option goes away especially after a warning in-thread has been posted.

Bottom line, someone else violating a policy is not license to do likewise and in fact, when you do that you damage your case in asking for specific assistance. Assistance will come, but it may not be what you'd prefer. Alert and be patient is the way to go.

I hope that makes sense, and if need be, you can always submit a complaint/suggestion via the Member Center to be reviewed by all staff if you require further information about this specific situation.

Thanks. [no sarcasm intended]

[edit on 1/20/2009 by yeahright]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

Thanks for responding, and I do understand the position of ATS but...this guy had been on ATS for less than 2 weeks, he called me a Traitor more than once along with another member. He stooped to correcting my grammar and he derailed the thread.

Yes the 2 quotes you posted from me were stooping to his level, but come on I'm not actually allowed to defend myself, especially after reporting everyone of his out of line posts and he continues on.

Its not as if I haven't seen happen before on ATS.

But its ok I guess ATS isn't the place for me to post. I don't appreciate being insulted for my opinion (and this isn't the first time). PEACE!!

BTW: You realize that by allowing his comments to remain, about me being a Traitor and the other member who was insulted, it shows the hypocricy of that specific T&C and shows that indeed it will be allowed on ATS!!

[edit on 21-1-2009 by ATruGod]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by CeltAngel

Thanks for your reply. I have not installed any plugins. Maybe I have a virus or something? I would appreciate any help. My apologies if this is not coming from ATS.

Here is an example of my problem...

This is looking at the history... the longer I take to read the more page x's I get.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Question....

When using the search feature on any screen other than the main screen, I type in whatever I am searching for. A page of results comes up. Nothing I like on page 1, so I click on the bottom of the search results page for page 2. A thread comes up that looks interesting. I click on it, but it isn't what I wanted. I hit the back button on my browser.

Instead of taking me back to page 2 where I was, it takes me back to the first page of search results. And, it's like this no matter what page of search results I was on; I always get taken back to page 1. Why?????

Is this a bug or am I missing something??? It is highly annoying.

[edit on 1/28/2009 by skeptic1]

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Upload space problem?
I've been experimenting with new avatars, but as of today, nothing I upload to my member centre seems to take. The optional pics are listed on my upload space but when I try to incorporate any of the newer pics into my avatar or signature line a "no such page exists" error comes up/ no picture shows.
Not sure whats happening here. I'm stuck with this avatar from a couple of days ago and can't change it.
edit to add: if u click on the broken pic in the sig. line you will see the page error message.

[edit on 083131p://am3148 by wayno]

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I have a couple quick questions.

I looked, but wasn't able to find any topic related.

I notice that many times threads begin with two back to back posts by the OP.
Is there some specific reason to do this, or are those posters simply looking for extra points/stars?

Also, is there an easy way to view replies to my own posts without having to go back and read through all the recent threads in myATS? In those threads where another poster might be waiting for a reply, it would be nice to be able to do so efficiently.

Now if I can just remember that I posted this on page 74

page74
page74
page74.

There, I should be able to remember that...page74

Peace

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I have an issue of the uninvited ad.

Literally, it is quite uninvited.

IT comes uninvited on my web browser taking up the full page.

Anyone else have a problem with this malicious ad?

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by lernmore

I notice that many times threads begin with two back to back posts by the OP.
Is there some specific reason to do this, or are those posters simply looking for extra points/stars?

I have had to make back to back posts in a couple of my threads, simply because there wasn't enough space to post all the text/images in a single opening post.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Just a quick question please, to anyone who can help me out here;

The U2U button is somewhat.. stuck on the page. Even after I opened the last message, the button doesn't seem to go away. Is this a cookie glitch or something?

The reason I ask is because I want to actually know when I get a new message. If the red button is stuck there, then how am I supposed to be informed of a new U2U?

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Majorion

Sometimes admin U2Us get stuck that way.
Try deleting those first.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Majorion

That happens when someone sends you a u2u and they have the wrong capitalization of your user name. It happens to me when someone types in "Intrepid", not "intrepid". You can delete or save the u2u and all is well.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Thanks alot to both of you. Deleting the message made it go back normal again.

All is well now intrepid

new topics

top topics

<< 71  72  73    75  76  77 >>

join