It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Issues Thread

page: 34
<< 31  32  33    35  36  37 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
OK. I just started a thread as posted below, but was directed here. I felt it was not a complaint or issue as such, but a legit question worthy of it own thread, but here it is. The upside is, it was closed before any other mods had commented....you will see what I mean.

Inconsistancies with Moderators

From the start, I am not having a go at the Mods, I am just wanting to get a clarification on how they opperate.
I have noticed a number of times not only in my threads but also in others that a post, or even an entire thread once started, can gain its natural momentum as it does and at times even commented on by a moderator as a member but is later trashed or moved by another Moderator.
I will not be naming names, but one instance of a thread I started recently, I was chastised (Over quoting) which is fair enough, but it was obvious the the thread was being read by moderators. A number of posts later I revievd a U2U stating it had ben moved to trash by a different Mod.
Did the later Mod disaprove of the topic or had the thread deteriorated to become inappropriate? If it had deteriorated, why not just step in and issue a general warning to all members to clean it up or get back on tracks as I have seen in the past. Alternately, if the thread itself was totally inappropriate, why was it not trashed earlier?
I dont mind threads being trashed or moved if I am out of line and the reasons are explained, but to have been allowed to continue by one (possibly others) then moved by another seems inconsistent.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by HIFIGUY

How is it, that somehow you attribute smartech to the GOP

I had no idea what smartech was,nor do I understand politics even more so politics in the US

A quick google search smartech and the Republicans.

Whats up?

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I'm going to assume this thread is an appropriate place for my question and I surely hope the answer is simply a "glitch". This incident happened a few months ago and I feel a little silly asking about it but my curiousity and overall nosy nature is getting the best of me.

So, on to my question.......Does ATS have any ability to capture or cache "unposted" posts? Confused? Let me explain a bit further.....

A few months ago, I attempted to start a thread in BTS under the Dreams and Predictions forum. The title was entered and some text was entered in the post box. For the record, the title of the thread was unique. While I was typing, my son spilled his cereal all over the rug. In my haste, I closed my browser completely. I did not save as a draft. I came back to ATS sometime afterward and attempted to draft the thread again....same title, basically same text. When I hit the "post thread" button, a message appeared at the top of the page which said....."Sorry, there is already a thread by that name." I cannot remember the rest of the message but that was the gist of it. I promptly did a search of my thread and did not find anything remotely close to it. Like I said, the title was unique.

I guess it disturbed me a bit because...well...I don't know exactly. In short, perhaps a member may have second thoughts about what they want to post due to any number of good reasons. Soooooo, does ATS have that ability and *gulp* is it purposeful?

One other thing.....I cannot remember because it's been a while but I may have hit the preview button while drafting the thread in question. May be relevant....

Thank you in advance for your response.

Regards,

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by sdp333

The shorting of the keyboard may have precluded the entering of the post.
Was the post of your origin or has someone else undertaken it?

Either way, your post, in spirit or otherwise is out there. Although you may not get credit for it, it is still a pondering of the original intent.

After all, its not what were about, but rather, being about the truth. Right?

Peace

[edit on 15-9-2008 by HIFIGUY]

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by sdp333

The answer to your question is no. Did you look in the forum and see if the thread actually got posted? Some browsers will complete (or "send") at shut down, in other words, your browser may have "entered" the thread right before it shut down without your noticing.

That's really the only possibility since the thread only exists on your hard drive until you (or your browswer) sends it to the internet.

Springer...

[edit on 9-16-2008 by Springer]

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
reply to post by sdp333

Did you look in the forum and see if the thread actually got posted?

Yes, I did....many times. After the second attempt at authoring the thread, I pushed the "Post New Thread" button. At that time, ATS itself gave me a message that there was already a thread by that name....yet there was not. I don't know.... it captured my first thread somehow without me pushing the post button at all. Hence my question about caching unposted posts.
The name of the thread was "Hats In The Sky...my 4-yr. old's Dream" As you can tell, it's fairly unique and does not show up on a search.

A mystery I guess. No big deal.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Jim Marrs - book selling advert on ATS

I’m sorry, but I didn’t know where to put this. so move if necessary but I feel a point had to be made.

So often in threads you see people discredited about their claims because they are releasing a book shortly, and anything they say can be taken as mere advertising to prompt this book.

I find it, rather disgusting that ATS is placing flashing adverts all over its page now, promoting a book.... doesn’t that seem a little cheap?.. .commercial?.. .

I’m only speaking for myself here, but a site that focusing on not being mainstream because its idea is to remain suspicious and deny stupidity has just lost respect, because its quite firmly cemented itself in advertising itself on its own page, hoping to sell some books.

what happened to the ATS that was ''above'' all this crap, and about dedicated people looking for no reward?

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Is thread taging gone?

Or what's happened to it? I used to be able to post a tag at the bottom of threads that I wanted to visit later but didnt want to reply to but I can't seem to find the box anymore.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by sdp333

I have had the same thing happen to me recently. I started a thread titled "How do they know" and it was dumped with the same message. I looked again and there was were a few threads with 'similar' titles and one with How do they know within the title.
It would be nice if this happens it could take you back to your post instead of losing it completely....I feel your pain.

P.S. On a different issue, I was told this thread would address any issus. Could someone please advise on my post at the top of this page.
Ta

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Hi VIKINGANT,

I'll have a go at addressing your post:

Unfortunately inconsistances do happen occasionally. Such is the humanity of Staff. None of us are clones and so our own perceptions, opinions and otherwise can (and do) come into play.

That is unavoidable. It is of course something we would like to avoid - but again it would be untrue to say we'd ever be able to avoid it 100% of the time...again our being human assures us that from time to time we will make perhaps wrong calls, slip with the ball and ultimately trip over ourselves.

The standard M.O with Mod action in regards to locking, shifting, editting threads/posts is that any such action (the greater majority of the time) is initiated through either a 'Complaint' that a Member has made in regards to a post/poster or an 'Alert' in regards to a thread.
Those complaints and alerts show up in a Staff-accessible/viewable section of the forums...and just like any standard thread on ATS it is open for discussion (amongst Staff).

...and thats what tends to happen. A Staff Member may suggest locking, moving, editting etc and what follows is normally discussion/consultation with other Staff (Mods/SuperMods/Admins) and predominately a general consensus is reached, a call made, and action taken.

That tends to be the standard M.O of how we do things.

Again - we are humans, and we do occasionally have our flubs. It could well be that your thread/post was one of those occasions. The Complaints/Suggestions Function is another way to shine the bat-signal on anything that any Member wishes Staff to be aware of.

Hopefully someone a bit higher up the 'foodchain' than I may be able to shed any further light on it.

Peace,
ALIEN

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
I find it, rather disgusting that ATS is placing flashing adverts all over its page now, promoting a book.... doesn’t that seem a little cheap?.. .commercial?.. .

Why? It's our book.

I'm startled that you would expect us not to promote our first venture outside the realm of online.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
I’m only speaking for myself here, but a site that focusing on not being mainstream because its idea is to remain suspicious and deny stupidity has just lost respect, becauseits quite firmly cemented itself in advertising itself on its own page, hoping to sell some books.

Now that you pointed it out, it is tough to avoid without scrolling out of the page; and in stereo no less.

It is the sites right to put it there, but IMO, its rather gaudy.

Peace

[edit on 17-9-2008 by HIFIGUY]

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   

I disagree, I find it exciting. and I can't wait to get a copy.

I mean, ATS has advertising from all sorts of products on every page, why not promote a book for themselves? This is a business after all. They do have the right to make money off of the sale of a product. They give so much here for free, why not sell something that would interest the target demographic of this site?

Q: Is this going to be available direct from ATS or do we have to go to Amazon or Barns and Noble? Also a great idea would be to have a contest or perhaps the first 100 or so people that purchase it directly through ATS get an autographed copy by, simon, skeptic, springer and Jim Marrs.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
Q: Is this going to be available direct from ATS or do we have to go to Amazon or Barns and Noble?

It will be available in bookstores everywhere (online and offline) as well as direct through ATS.

We're looking at a special edition autographed copy... but the price will be difficult to work out as you can imagine the shipping costs involved in getting all three Amigos AND Jim Marrs to autograph the copies.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
We're looking at a special edition autographed copy... but the price will be difficult to work out as you can imagine the shipping costs involved in getting all three Amigos AND Jim Marrs to autograph the copies.

When you figure it out, please give me a shout. I'd really like a signed one for my bookshelf. I always did like Jim Marrs as an author. The rest of y'all are OK too...

*Scratches head trying to figure out something to gripe about so as to be on topic*

Oh, yeah... how come you changed your avatar from the pensive, harried and worried one SO? The election isn't over yet...

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

I think the cost would be worth it for a personalized autographed copy of the book signed by Jim Marrs and the Amigos. A lil piece of ATS history personalized for the membership.

So anyway a complaint or issue, Where did the thread tagging box go? I just wonder is all. I loved thread tagging it was interesting to read what people wrote for a topc tag.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Well, If I was a first time user and came to the site seeing this book plastered as a dominating feature, id take it as a bit tacky.

The name and the way its advertised makes it look like its just rehashed stuff 'from' the website.

Maybe a thread stapled onto the home page or something? it looks like now your simply trying to make money off the people who put in hard work writing pieces for the website.

Now, when ever ATS is mentioned and the good work other members put in will simply be said, and rightfully so
'' anything to sell some books ''

good on ATS for making this book and so forth, but i think you shouldnt of objected your long term, short term and dedicated members to have to watch such a cheap advertisement.

the photo of my Marrs in the sunnies looking up reminds me of a cheap american tabloid... the flashing question/answer doesnt help either.

Frankly, its not just the book, its the direciton the site has taken now its become a money making adventure, its like you got so far on grass roots brains and writing, only to sell out to commercial crap. I read this on other forums and didnt believe it, frankly because I find more information here than other sites, but i can see what they are getting at.

the book just tops it off.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Really is it that bad that a website try and make money? Your not being forced to buy the book. It's just being advertised here. It is a book about this site. Not like you pay for the privilege to post here anyway.

They have been hinting at the publication of this book for a while. I think it's exciting that they got it done and are marketing it. Seriously this is a business. They are allowed to make money off of their endeavor.

I don't think I have ever read anywhere on this site that the site owners promising to not make a dime off of the views and presentations of this site. I don't think that they have done anything wrong here.

Also it's not like the ads will be up forever. A company grows, it finds what works to target their key demo. and it pursues that objective what is wrong with that? This site does change, it continues to grow. Things change, they either evolve or die. Especially on the internet. If you don't expand your audience you will find that the ones that are here will eventually go away.

ATS has always been a business venture. It is a discussion forum, but it is a business. I personally agree with this move, I agree that the site owners here should be profitable, they should succeed in this venture. I think that it's also nice that an author like Jim Marrs worked with the site owners here to create something unique and something that will maybe draw more people to the site and thus more discussion, more debate, and more discovery.

Plus im trying to get an answer to a question here, and it keeps coming back to this topic which makes my silly little question less important.

[edit on 9/17/2008 by whatukno]

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

yeah mate and fair enough, I suppose its personal preference.
I just cant seem to take my eyes of liz... dam nyou for having that avatar.

new topics

top topics

<< 31  32  33    35  36  37 >>

join