It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Media and Censorship

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
For the past few months I have been struggling to listen to the "Mainstream Media", due to the rampant sensationalism making the rounds.

I invoke the recent example of the reporting from Austria where a man imprisoned his own daughter and repeatedly raped and impregnated her. What could we possibly stand to gain from this information?

Would censorship of such cases not serve to better to consciousness of humanity? Why must normal folk be burdened by the disgusting details of such a case?

There was also the case of the Jersey care home scandal, where the TV crews transmitted images of the dungeon where children were raped by their mentors.

I find these stories beyond disturbing- I find them disgusting and distressing. The nature by which they are reported is sensationalised beyond belief.

There is a case for knowledge. There is the case that we ought to have all the knowledge in the world in order to "Deny Ignorance".

But what Im asking is why must we be exposed to such stories? Some people say that distressing news stories are transmitted to prevent others from making the same "mistakes"... Need I remind them that nobody watching these sorts of stories is going to think to themselves "Oh perhaps I wont imprison and rape my own daughter then".

If anything, such stories are merely going to give ideas to perverts and the clinically insane.

I thus put forth the question:

Would censorship of such stories not make sense? There is nothing to be gained from knowledge of the cases and nothing can be done about it. Must we be exposed to the sordid details of such cases?

Any and all thoughts would be gladly welcomed, as Im genuinely struggling to find a decisive line on this issue.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I think it's important that the public receive this kind of information. That way, if the public decides they need or want to do something about it, such as complain to the authorities or try to get a law passed, in order to effect change, they can do so.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
As I said, thats a fair point of view and a good point to make.

However I am talking about cases of extreme depravity being broadcast and sensationalised.

Everything that this Austrian man did was despicable and needless to say, unlawful. There is nothing that the viewer can do to enact a change in laws (other than I suppose pushing for a reintroduction in the death penalty).

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Since we no longer can put the nuts away here in the US without it becoming a federal case even with abundant proof, it seems to get worse. Sensational reporting will cause copy cats as well as those on the hairy edge to listen to they're inner demons and commit other atrocities with impunity,knowing the chances of being dealt with are slim.
Report it yes ,but read the damn news and leave your so called journalists opinion on the shelf!!
Zindo

new topics

top topics

join