It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Real Id act questions rumors?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Hello all, I come in seek of clarification on the Real ID act. I am by means able to understand half of the things put down on paper in "Legal" terms. They make it so hard for people now adays to keep up with yet alone read and understand the laws. Then again i also understand all laes are subject to interpretation, and by "Whom"

anyways, here are somethings i have dug up concerning the act.

The Real ID Act started off as H.R. 418, which passed the House[1] and went stagnant. Representative James Sensenbrenner (R) of Wisconsin, the author of the original Real ID Act, then attached it as a rider on a military spending bill (H.R. 1268). The House of Representatives passed that spending bill with the Real ID rider 368-58,[2] and the Senate passed the joint House-Senate conference report on that bill 100-0.[3] President Bush signed it into law on May 11, 2005.[4]

On March 2, 2007, it was announced that enforcement of the Act would be postponed for two years.[5] The provisions of the bill will be delayed from going into effect until December 2009. On January 11, 2008, it was announced that the deadline has been extended again, until 2011, in hopes of gaining more support from states.[6] On the same date the Department of Homeland Security released the final rule [7] regarding the implementation of the driver's licenses provisions of the Real ID Act. A pdf of the final rule, as well as DHS Secretary Chertoff's press conference, in pdf transcript, audio and video formats, can be found at BiometricBits.com. [8]

From my understanding of this, its not going to be "Required" till December of 2009?

State adoption and non-compliance

Portions of the Real ID Act pertaining to states were scheduled to take effect on May 11, 2008, three years after the law passed, but the deadline had been extended to December 31, 2009.[36] On January 11, 2008, it was announced the deadline has been extended again, until 2011, in hopes of gaining more support from states.[37]

Now what the heck does that mean? people who go to get new ID's after may 11th, will get a Real ID? however it wont be required by everyone till then end of 2009?

The Real ID Act says that, starting around May 2008, Americans will need a federally approved ID card--a U.S. passport will also qualify--to travel on an airplane, open a bank account, collect Social Security payments or take advantage of nearly any government service. States will have to conduct checks of their citizens' identification papers, and driver's licenses likely will be reissued to comply with Homeland Security requirements.

Without it we cant take advantage of government support programs? With the airlines condensing and the alleged fuel crisis, without the Id you cant fly? Not that i would want to fly anyways, man does not have wings for a reason.

So what is actually true about this Act and what is actually a farce? I hear so many rumors going around about it being the mark of the beast, which if your Christian i could understand why people consider it this. What exactly is happening with this act, is it being pushed through without the rest of America realizing it? its it not happening? Is the tracking chip ACTUALLY going to be in it? its that just also a scam? i have read rumors about it being true, however my researching skills seem to be lacking, as "Creditable" sources are few and far in between it seems and each one states something different. I see lots of people talking about MSM all the time, however i dont know which site they seem to be talking about? MSN maybe? but that doesnt seem to fit either

What are actually facts, and what are rumors and disinformation?

www.cnn.com...
www.news.com...
jonesreport.com...
en.wikipedia.org...

Edit: Fixed quotes

[edit on 29-4-2008 by Hakii]

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I have two things top point out:

The fact that you are finding do many 'contradictory' aspects of this indicates just how poorly planned this Act is.

Are you sure this is the right place for the post?

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Well it was question and answers board i posted in, and my post was about some questions i had, so i guess in my mind its the right thread, but for other im not sure.

Edit: Hmmm it seems i did post in the incorrect thread, if a mod would be so kind to move it to the correct board ^.^

[edit on 29-4-2008 by Hakii]

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Some newer information i just found,

On January 11, 2008, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) released the final regulations to implement the requirements of the Real ID. The release of the final regulations is a mere 120 days prior to the implementation deadline established in the Real ID Act. DHS estimates the costs for states to implement the Real ID will not exceed $3.9 billion.

On May 11, 2008, state driver's licenses and identification cards will not be accepted for federal purposes unless DHS determines a state is compliant with the Real ID or a state has been approved for an extension by DHS. States will have until March 31, 2008 to seek an initial extension of the Real ID compliance date.

www.ncsl.org...

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
It surprises me to a large degree, that this post has gotten basically no feed back. considering this is a very real and very upcoming event that could affect the lives of millions. its basically knocking on our door right now.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
This is a 'fear' thread. I think people aren't posting because there seems to be no recourse due to the states' utter submission to the federal monster. It's odd how governors get all high and mighty about "Not in my state!" during campaign season and then go socializing for four years.

I had heard of the few states that made some rumblings of defiance, but no one has challenged the regime in numbers yet, and it seems they don't intend to.

I don't find it surprising though, since they have their all-important political careers to consider. If the parties disapprove of them, they'll get no access to the political system when re-election time comes around. That seems to shut them up every time.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I completely agree, the states seemed to have just "Thrown away" there rights, Some states are still being resilient but only few, It seem that this is going to go into law without people knowing about it, Infact i had a conversation with my grandmother today, who had no idea about the Real ID act. . . . Im seriously trying to get some answers on this post, but it seems, people are avoiding this thread, for reasons i am not sure of, However i wish people could forward with any information that might help shed light on this subject

top topics

join