It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Geological Survey Dept Issues "Wake Up Call" over Illinois Earthquakes.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 07:23 AM
link   
From the USGS.GOV website itself.. I present to you..

Today's early morning earthquake that jolted many in the central U.S. is a reminder that seismic events do occur in areas not normally thought of as "earthquake country." It is also a lesson that earthquakes east of the Mississippi River are felt more widely than those in the west. This event was felt as far west as Kansas, as far north as Upper Michigan, and as far south as Georgia.

"Earthquakes of comparable size are felt over greater distances in the East than those occurring in the West," said Harley Benz, seismologist for the USGS. "Earthquakes in the central U.S. are infrequent, but not unexpected."

The preliminary magnitude 5.2 earthquake occurred at 4:37 am Central Daylight Time and was centered about 38 miles north-northwest of Evansville, IN or 128 miles east of St. Louis, MO. It occurred in an area known seismically as the Wabash Valley Seismic Zone. Today's event is the strongest earthquake in southern Illinois since November 1968, when a 5.4 earthquake occurred.

O RLY? Well the largest Earthquake evar in Illinois was in Southern Illinois in 1968, according to the USGS, and it was only a 5.4. Friday's was a 5.2, and lastnight's (Sunday) was a 4.2 to 4.6 I believe.
(source: edition.cnn.com...)

Friday's quake was the strongest to hit in the region in 40 years.

There were reports of minor damage in the region.

Video from Louisville, Kentucky showed debris from the ornamental facade of a building's roofline that fell onto a sidewalk and shattered.

People as far north as Chicago and as far west as St. Louis reported feeling the initial quake, the USGS reported.

"The largest historical earthquake in the region -- magnitude 5.4 -- damaged southern Illinois in 1968," the USGS said.

Classified as "moderate," today's event caused some damage and was followed by aftershocks, the largest a M4.6 that occurred at 10:15 am Central Daylight Time. Of much greater concern, however, is the potential for the adjacent New Madrid seismic zone to generate severe earthquakes. During the winter of 1811-1812, a series of three very large earthquakes — the strongest earthquakes to strike the lower 48 states during historic times — devastated the area and were felt throughout most of the nation. Occurring only a few weeks apart on Dec. 16, Jan. 13, and Feb. 7, they generated hundreds of aftershocks, some severely damaging by themselves, which continued for years.

Why is the Government giving us a wake up call, are they trying to tell us something here? hint at it? And they word it in this broad context.. talking about all these world locations. You may say I am over-analytical yet, we all know the Government either doesn't speak, and when it does, it does so in an obscure, round-about manner.

If you'd ask me, I'd tell you that our equipment for detecting Earthquakes in 2008 far surpass the ones 40 years ago in 1968 in accuracy, and this 'quake could've actually been the strongest yet in Illinois, we're talking a 0.2 difference here, and a 40 span of technological advancement. Ultimately whether a new record is set, it is irrelevant.

This thread is more about addressing the recurring Earthquakes, specifically Sunday's 4.6 'quake, and the 18 minor 'quakes between Friday and Sunday, all within a 150 mile area. Not about the first quake alone.

You see, if there was "a big one" coming, no one would suspect it, even this only has the Geologists mildly interested, and its the worst in 40 years there. I used to live there, was born there, have family and memories there. I have dead buried relatives there that I'd like to remain in their resting place.

I personally think it is indicative of a decent potential for something bigger to happen in the next few days or weeks. I know I will be watching for it. But I wanted to ask the more Geologically inclined folks here an honest question: Do you see this as a 40 year cycle, do you see this as an anomaly but of no major importance, or do you think this is indicative of something yet to come to the region? I'd really like to hear everyone's opinion, I'm not going to give my family a warning call to GTFO unless I am almost certain, which im certainly not.

[edit on 4/21/2008 by runetang]

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 07:32 AM
link   
I am certainly not a geologist, but I would consider it a good thing for now. You just had what could be the worst quake ever for the region and no one was hurt. I would think that the stress on the plates has been relieved to a degree and I wouldn't expect this to be a precursor to the "big one".

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I was born in St. Louis aswell, And i have sevral family members there still to this day. However I moved to the Northeast of the states, when i was 3(Now 25)

I am by no means a geologist, but i have to assume this is not a good thing, whether near future or distant.

Mother earth seems to be angery at us lately ; ; . . . All we can do is wait for better days, and hope for the best, while expecting the worst

join