It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Earth Is Flat, Proof In Model - [FARCE]

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
_Del_

First off, someone on the edge of this "flat earth" would indeed undergo a time dilation, but one so slight in comparison to a US city that such an enormous time dilation could not occur. Also, I believe I know where Cpt. Monty is going with his previous comment, do you or do you not concede that based on estimates made by numerous scientists the universe is between 12 and 16 billion years old?

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by _Del_

no the mapis only to show a few direct flight routes, you can check out the flight duration byyourself. And answer and explain my questions why it take shorter to Argentina with a direct flight from Australia than to UK.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   
If the earth is a circular disk and not a sphere,then why do we have a horizon? Why do snipers need to take the Coriolis effect into their adjustments? When standing on the beach why does the tallest point of a ship always come into view before the rest of it? When the sun is setting and the disk has already passed the horizon,then why does the sunlight still reach the upper atmosphere illuminate the clouds,or tall mountains?

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   
In regards to the original post of this thread, there is a fundamental issue with the flat earth argument as it was presented. The problem is with the suggestion that as we move away from the earth the "flatness" becomes round by bending light. This makes no sense what-so-ever. The light from background stars "behind" the Earth are not bending or warping around the earth. The Earth doesn't nearly have enough of a gravitational imprint to bend light in the same degree over such a short distance as required by this "flat earth seen-as-a-sphere" theory.

So, if the light from the stars isn't warping, then the light from the Earth's surface isn't warping either. In other words, if the Earth was a disk, it would STILL APPEAR AS A DISK!!!

Since the Earth appears to be a sphere, then it is, in fact, a sphere.

From a historical perspective on this subject, the world was first proven to be round by measuring the angles of shadows that sunlight cast on a staff at different latitudes. The fact that the angles got shorter at lower latitudes indicated that the angle of the surface of the earth was changing, or curving.

Now that being said, if you subscribed to the "flat earth" theory, the way you could argue against those conclusions is by challenging the premise: that the sun is very far away. The premise states that if the sun is very far away then the rays of sunlight are parallel everywhere across earth. If they are parallel then the only explanation for different shadow lengths is curvature of the Earth's surface.

On the other hand, if you argued that the sun was very close, then you could explain the different shadow lengths by the close position of the sun. For example, if there is a light in the center of a room (on the ceiling), if a stick is in the center of the room, the shadow is short, as you move out to the edge of the room across the flat floor, the shadow lengthens. That would be your "flat earth" argument.

The problem with this is argument is that through triangulation, we can prove that the sun is actually VERY far away. It's an indisputable mathematically proven, repeatable observation. So, with even this simple and solid test, the Earth is proven to be round.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Perhaps the op would like to explain why the north and south poles have 6 solid months of light and dark if the earth isn't round.

If the sun is the other side of the moon disc, how can both be visible in day, you're implying a mirror I assume? I'm sorry, but I don't understand how this can be proven without evidence from a scientifical research team, or any other valid sources thereof. I have yet to see any, and the thread after page 3 got rather boring.

I know you like this theory, but it lacks a lot of logic.
Why do items soon disappear over the horizon eventually?
If you imply this, then you mean to say that a rubber ball is not round. Looking at a 2D image, you can draw anything over them, it's just logic of artistic values.

I should add, the ops model is NOT solid, concrete, or valid proof.

[edit on 20.4.2008 by Shugo]

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Well, since you keep discrediting the people who have seen the curve of the Earth, I'll have to see what I can do.
You talk about how all sattilites are fake, as well as the ISS since according to your model they aren't possible.
All well and good, except on a clear night you can actually see the reflection of the sun off of the sattilites, and the ISS. It's hard to keep them in view with a telescope due to their speed, but it is possible, so they can be made out to manmade constructs. The fact that they can be continuosly obsevred by any group of watchers in contact with each other, keeping the schedule that the sattilites stick to, would show they do not land or change paths.
This isn't a theory so much as a lack of comprehension. Similar to how people can't comprehend time more than a few hundred years, some people also can't comprehendsize. Sure, it doesn't seem round, that's because its so incredibly large.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
OP,

Welcome, but you gotta be kidding me. You are not serious about this, right? Just for your info: your model is zero proof. It's just a picture

I could show you an Escher sketch and say that i.e. perpetual motion is real ...

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   
This had me laughing so hard.

Nice one, truly funny. I especially liked the part where you cut the Earth up like a pizza.

sty

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Was this posted by Ali G or something? Very funny , you made my day haha

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
The simple fact that this IDIOTIC post gets nearly 200 posts in less than a day really makes me cringe. NOTE TO ALL ATS NEWBIES: if you want to get replies, just post idiocy/insanity that is so anachronistic that it would have been ridiculed in the year 1600 (more than 300 years before the NASA "perpetrators" even existed). I was reluctant to even respond, but--alas--apparently these posts are popular for a reason.
The OP should be outright banned IMO.

Oh yea, if anyone thinks I'm being a close minded skeptic by suggesting a ban, it should be noted that one of the reasons the whole conspiracy community is ridiculed at large is because inane b#llsh!t like this. To deny ignorance does not mean one has to entertain every b@tsh1t crazy notion.

[edit on 20-4-2008 by Threadfall]

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
This thread is just chock full of humour, i almost dont even want to comment in case i offend somebody.

I second that motion

[edit on 08/4/20 by metaldemon2000]

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I have to admit that I did enjoy reading this.

If there is a wall of ice at the edge of the earth disk, what happens when this all melts due to climate change? Is there anything beyond this to keep all the melted ice from pouring over the side?

If the earth is flat, then why is this a secret and who does it benefit to make us believe that it is round (apart from raking in money for fake space flights and probes, which are really CGI)?

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I will remind posters to address the subject, and not other members. No matter your position on this, show a little class.

If there are more attacks like some I have seen, I will not hesitate to recommend warnings being issued.

I hope I am being perfectly clear. The motto is Deny Ignorance, not denigrate other posters.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Fair enough. So ill make my point.

This is flat.

MMMMMM Flat.

I think you know where im going with this.

This is not flat.

If Earth were flat we may as well go back to the stone age and start over because everything physics has taught us would be wrong and that cannot be because just about everything we do depends on it.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Flat earth huh? I suppose our space craft never reached the bottom right? our GPS satelites are just balloons? uh huh, Arthur C Clark was in this conspiracy too right? sure...

And tell that space flight is impossible to this guy:

Mr EBE traveled lightyears to get to this planet and you are dissing him, think of poor Mr. Grey.

So got any pictures of the bottom of the Earth? what does that look like?

I can't believe I am feeding the troll, I know this is supposed to be the tinfoil hatter forum but it's just a bit too much tinfoil for me to swallow.

Edit to add: OH and before I forget, the reason we don't perceive the earth curcature is as follows: Imagine being in a gigantic circular tunnel, much like the Large Hadron Colider, it will appear the tunnel is straight, but it's only because the curve is inperceivable.

That's why the Earth appears flat seen from the surface, gravity bending the visual spectrum makes little sense and besides everything in nature naturally takes on a round shape like atoms, molocules, etc, everything in space is round or composed of round matter when viewed from a electron microscope.

Satelites have come down and they have been observed, explain to me why meteors come down if space travel is impossible, meteors travel through space, what about comets?

[edit on 4/20/2008 by GrOuNd_ZeRo]

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Threadfall
The simple fact that this IDIOTIC post gets nearly 200 posts in less than a day really makes me cringe. NOTE TO ALL ATS NEWBIES: if you want to get replies, just post idiocy/insanity that is so anachronistic that it would have been ridiculed in the year 1600 (more than 300 years before the NASA "perpetrators" even existed). I was reluctant to even respond, but--alas--apparently these posts are popular for a reason.

Oh yea, if anyone thinks I'm being a close minded skeptic by suggesting a ban, it should be noted that one of the reasons the whole conspiracy community is ridiculed at large is because inane b#llsh!t like this. To deny ignorance does not mean one has to entertain every b@tsh1t crazy notion.

If this thread was closed or removed, then there would be a need eventually for another "Flat Earth Argument" thread. Other people coming here can read through this and the information argued by both sides, realize on their own who they believe to be the idiots (like you did), and decide logically from that point what they are more inclined to believe, or even decide that they feel dumber for reading.

I don't see ANY reason to ban anyone for trying to argue something they believe, even if other people feel the logic is flawed. There are alot more Flat Earthers out there supplying the information...

www.alaska.net...
brandonmuller.com...
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Come on guys... you are all taking this WAY too seriously! It's obviously a joke that most of you seemed not to get. I personally found the thread entertaining. I'm gonna start a thread called " the sky is green " and my argument will be that everyone on earth is colorblind but me & I bet I could get 200 replies. The reason people say conspiracy theorists are nutty is because if you took this thread seriously enough to let it effect your mood you ARE nutty. And by the way the earth IS flat. I know this because when I googled a picture of it and turned my flatscreen monitor sideways I could no longer see the picture. Good Job OP!!!
The only hole in your theory is the part about the sun actually being the back of the moon... When we all know the moon is actually made of cheese!!!

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
You can't be a serious logician or scientific adherant of any kind to subscribe or EVEN PROPOSE the Flat Earth theory. All of modern math, calculus, physics, and astrophysics is based on a spheroidal object. Gravity itself is exerted from a spheroid.

The Flat Earth gravity would have a central point on the flat disc and therefore, logically, things would be pulled HORIZONTALLY to the center of the disc, rather than VERTICALLY to the center of a spheroid. Furthurmore this "point" of gravity would have to peter out at the edge in order for the earth to cast a shadowy eclipse on the moon.

An eye-catching thread to begin your membership here at ATS, but not a very compelling one.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Earthscum

Originally posted by Threadfall

If this thread was closed or removed, then there would be a need eventually for another "Flat Earth Argument" thread. Other people coming here can read through this and the information argued by both sides, realize on their own who they believe to be the idiots (like you did), and decide logically from that point what they are more inclined to believe, or even decide that they feel dumber for reading.

I don't see ANY reason to ban anyone for trying to argue something they believe, even if other people feel the logic is flawed. There are alot more Flat Earthers out there supplying the information...

www.alaska.net...
brandonmuller.com...
en.wikipedia.org...

I posted a thread that was inevitably closed...

Eradicated, actually.
I DID NOT say that the thread should be eliminated. I said that the OP should be banned...because the premise presented is MORONIC. Maybe there are lots of moronic ideas here, you may think. This one, however, flies in the face of all empirically accepted data EVER.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   
You don't know how wrong your premis is!

The earth is not flat, it is cylindrical.

All Mercator maps are based upon a cylinder. You can verify this for yourself. I defy you to prove this incorrect!

The magnetic poles of the earth bend the light in making the poles look rounded. This is the proof of the cylindrical earth. There is no such equivalent at the equator to make it look rounded.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join